PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cheap PDA with built in GPS

coodem
11th Apr 2009, 14:31
I am after a cheap PDA running Windows Mobile, It can come in the form of a phone, I would like a 3.5" screan minimum. Just after something cheap, and it must have built in GPS.

I have looked on ebay, but there is so much. Can anyone recomend anything that is reliable, and that will rum memorymap

Make model would be good, then I can continue my searches.

If anyone on here has anything of use to me and wishes to part with it, just PM me

Background Noise
11th Apr 2009, 18:11
'Must have GPS built in"

I've done this a couple of ways. GPS built in is very convenient - one unit to carry around etc, and my current phone is a windows mobile pda/phone/GPS. It runs TomTom and memory map.

Also done it with an HP Ipaq 2210, with a separate bluetooth GPS unit and in many cases that is more convenient. Yes you have 2 units but, for walking, you can have the GPS out permanently - like in your rucksack top pocket and receiving, and all the time, while your pda is in your pocket somewhere, it is receiving and plotting.

What do you consider cheap?

coodem
11th Apr 2009, 18:46
I already have a PDA with BT GPS, it works OK. Just a pain. too involved pairing. loosing signal, charging 2 devices

I am after something small, just to carry with me, in my headset bag.
I have a Garmin 496, as well, but thats to big to take on every flight.

I do round 5 flights a day, and thought I should have something with me thats cheap enough not to care about it too much.
£50-£100

srobarts
11th Apr 2009, 19:02
I tried the BT GPS route with my old Ipaq. It was a pain with battery life, charging and loosing link to Ipaq. Bought an Mio P550 off ebay. Works a treat, battery life good for a 2 - 2.5 hr walk running memory map. Also got a battery pack which will recharge the PDA twice so a full day long walk is manageable. It has one quirk, it switches itself on at midnight and if not being charged overnight battery is flat - it must be a setting somewhere but once I understood it I did not spend time looking for the setting. GPS is good. I use it in an aquapak which will also hold my battery pack so all protected from the weather.
Incidentally Memory Map sold the Mio range themselves, which was how I chose it.

EchoNovemberTango
13th Apr 2009, 06:35
Doesnt exactly fit into your criteria, but the Nokia 6110 Navigator I can vouch for, did my e-mails, has a great GPS (have only used the GPS in Aus, so cant vouch for that anywhere else) good camera, great sound quality, and holds quite abit of data. (replaced the standard memory card for a 4GB card, holds everything I need) :ok:

There are newer models out at the moment, but dont know about those.

Detest my current N95 8GB :yuk:

bnt
13th Apr 2009, 10:32
These days you tend to find PDA functions in a phone, and Expansys has a few in B-stock, SIM-free. e.g. HTC TyTN II (http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=177321) for £284 or Glofiish X500 (http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=177307) for £116. Both have internal GPS. (The Glofiish listed needs a battery, and can be updated to WM6, they say.)

I've had a HTC phone (S620) for over 2 years now, and it still works great and looks almost like new.