PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man

JTobias
10th Apr 2009, 17:01
Boys and Girls,

I'm thinking of taking a trip from Manchester Barton across to the Isle of Man.
It's about 15 years since I last did it and then it was fixed wing.
Can anyone tell me the best route, who to speak to and do I have to land at an airfield or can I go direct to a hotel. (Any suggestions for an HLS for lunch would be good too).

Usual sort of help would be appreciated.:ok:

Tks, Joel

craphat
10th Apr 2009, 17:10
Try this place. Stayed there before, landed on the lawn next to the hotel.
All the rally drivers land there too, during the Manx rally.
Short cab ride to Douglas, if required.

http://www.mountmurrayhotel.com (http://www.mountmurrayhotel.com/)

Bladecrack
10th Apr 2009, 19:53
Can anyone tell me the best route, who to speak to and do I have to land at an airfield or can I go direct to a hotel.

Hi JT,

Best route hmmm.. It's an island so a straight line works pretty well! (Barton - Seaforth - IOM, but remember the Liverpool Bay HPZ) I don't have any info for a private HLS, but if you do go into the main airport (Ronaldsway), the controllers are a good bunch, and pretty relaxed, (there are a couple of grass strips on the island too) and Manx Flyers can provide cheap handling (ask for Phil). Only pain is re-fuelling (JETA1) as you need to position over to Shell at the fuel farm on the other side of the airport.

Enjoy your trip..

STANDTO
10th Apr 2009, 21:03
Be good to see you !!

al a/c should come in through Ronaldsway, unless by prior arrangement. As for heli stops, fairly limited choice now, since the Grand Island shut in the North (once counted six on the lawn!)

If you ring 01624 631212, ask to speak to Special Branch, they will be able to help if you were thinking of putting in straight to somewhere else. Mount Murray is about your only option now though, and it is only 2 mins from RON by air anyway.

As for routeing, Don Copley formerly of Heliyorks used to bring a 44 raven across regularly. He set up an outfit called Helimanx over here. Haven't spoken to Don for months, but you might be able to get him on 07836 610823

I've PM'ed you as well - seems we have a mutual business interest!!
STANDTO

JTobias
11th Apr 2009, 11:46
Thanks for the answers.

I sort of presumed a straight route would be the way, I just wasn't sure whether you could fly through/near the rigs (which I believe you can).

Is a flight plan necessary?

Joel

Brilliant Stuff
11th Apr 2009, 16:02
Yes you can fly over the rigs and if you speak to Blackpool or Warton you can ask them for CHCs frequency and in order to let them know you are passing though as long as you are talking to Warton or Blackpool they will advise you of any helicopters operating within the gas fields. Have a good Flight.

Bladecrack
11th Apr 2009, 23:45
Is a flight plan necessary?

Joel,

It's recommended if operating more than 10 miles offshore.

BC

JTobias
12th Apr 2009, 20:32
Thanks all:ok:

Joel

JTobias
30th Apr 2009, 22:47
Anyone got the Lat and Long for Mount Murray Hotel on the IOM ?

VeeAny
1st May 2009, 07:03
Joel

A quick calc says about, 54˚08.31N 004˚33.67W

GS

FLY 7
1st May 2009, 08:25
Lot of nice scenery in the Isle of Man, particularly in the north.

And don't forget to do an aerial lap of the TT circuit - 37 miles of amazing road, through countryside, villages and over the mountain. The bikes hit 200 mph and average up to 130 mph.

Jurby is a big disused RAF base in the north, now used mainly for motorsport - and some r/c flying.

Great place.

FloaterNorthWest
1st May 2009, 08:45
If you are coming to the North of the Island just be aware that Andreas can be active with gliding and GA flying. Listen out on 130.10.

And don't in the way of the S76.........we bite!

FNW

magbreak
1st May 2009, 13:59
FNW.. Get you Tiger :ok::E

JTobias
1st May 2009, 19:00
Cheers All,

How can I find a route of the TT circuit?

sycamore
1st May 2009, 19:39
Google is your friend...

RVF750
1st May 2009, 20:02
Just follow the roads with black and white painted kerbs for the TT course.

JTobias
2nd May 2009, 17:21
Hi All

Thanks for the replies I'm off there tomorrow. :ok:

Joel

miket_68
2nd May 2009, 22:11
Good luck, can you let us know how you get on.

Have been to the IOM serveral times for the TT always wanted to take a 44 over the circuit.
Maybe this summer is the one for me.

Mike

rotorspin
2nd May 2009, 22:27
Have a good one Joel!

Cheers mate

JP

JTobias
3rd May 2009, 17:42
Gents

Done the Isle of Man today. Absolutely great trip. Dead easy.
Thanks for all the help and advice, especially Standto, who met me on the island and gave us a guided tour of Douglas.
I'll put the details on my blog tomorrow www.jetbox.wordpress.com (http://www.jetbox.wordpress.com)

Much appreciated.

Joel :ok:

JTobias
4th May 2009, 19:05
Hi All

I've put my Isle of Man report on my blog now.
You can read it here (http://jetbox.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/barton-to-the-isle-of-man/).

Bladecrack
4th May 2009, 21:59
Good story Joel,

Sounds like you had a great day out, and glad it all went smoothly. Maybe see you about during TT week if you are over, I will be calling into the airport for fuel, and getting breakfast at the cafe next door to the flying club. :ok:
Did you manage to get fuel at the club or did you have to position over to the far side?

BC

JTobias
5th May 2009, 20:47
We were allowed to land in front of the Shell station just off the 21 runway and they sent a bowser out.

They were great.