PDA

View Full Version : codeco manual

sandyman
10th Apr 2009, 02:41
hey all

im currently getting to grips with the load control side of codeco and i'm on the lookout for a codaco manual.

any1 know anywere on the net i could get a copy or even some online notes?.

ive kinda been thrown into it and would like to sit down and learn the system in more deapth on the off days.

i had a look on the klm site but cant access the manuals section due to not having login details.

any help appreciated

sandy

Dropline
10th Apr 2009, 12:54
I've got one somewhere I think, but to be honest the manual I have is not very user friendly and is really no use at all without the system knowledge... the one I have is indexed by the codeco entry for a function, not by the function itself (eg you would have to look up ME to find out how to enter a mail figure, rather than look up the word mail), so unless you have an idea of the entry you need, you can't actually find what you are looking for!!! You really need a codeco training course to learn it properly!

Cumulogranite
11th Apr 2009, 10:04
Even a Codeco course wont help, I know, I've done one!

The trouble with it is, it was conceived in the 70's and therefore as well as being ancient is also based on codes. In todays computer world we are spoilt with "tick in the box" programming, codeco doesn't have this and is based on code input. Sadly you also need to know the codes!!!! So no course or manual can really help as the only way in my experience to use it effectively is to just use it and gain comfort and experience with it.

If you get stuck on something then @h is your friend, but even that can sometimes be misleading.

As it is the only system that can control a flight from start to finish (reservations to sita messaging) all in one it is perceived as the god of all dcs systems and those that know it well defend it to the end of the world for some strange reason. Personally I think it is antiquated but that is my opinion.

Send me a PM about what you are planning and I might be able to help out a bit

jetsgo
11th Apr 2009, 10:41
I was led to believe that CODECO would be closed down next year by the owners KLM as they will be using the Air France system. I’m not sure that it will be kept active for handling agents to use. Can anyone confirm this?

OpsSix
12th Apr 2009, 01:08
Yep, we're all moving to Gateon? or something at LCY. I'll miss Codeco, it's easy to use.

boeingbus2002
13th Apr 2009, 11:27
Various systems have evolved from Codeco. Similar ones are Atraxis/Amadeus.
Knowledge of codes is important however. It is not graphics based and no tick in the boxes. However that does speed things up. No need for fancy red boxes when out of trim! In theory there are only a few entries you use each flight, so its not rocket science.

OpsSix
13th Apr 2009, 20:14
ep/1/dest/b + me/dest/0 to prep the flight

lr
sp
ml/a
pr
lp
fc
ff
ss
ml/a
pr
ls

Job done, nice and easy. (there are of course many many other entries but the above is a typical flight for me)

Dropline
14th Apr 2009, 06:57
What cowboy taught you?!!! :ugh:

OpsSix
14th Apr 2009, 07:23
Why do you ask? Theres not much to do with a Fokker 50 ;)

Dropline
14th Apr 2009, 11:35
Call me picky, but (for example) the entries from flight gated to loadsheet should be...

fc
mo
ms
ss
ls

...otherwise the monitors get screwed up and you can't PD it properly!

OpsSix
14th Apr 2009, 21:56
Ah, I do some of those bits (never heard of mo) once I go to pd the flight.

I go mc, fc, ms, @y, ss, ls, **mc/s/6, nn, @y.

When I first trained with Codeco, I pleaded with them to let me do manual loadsheets! I couldn't stand all the codes etc, but it's so easy.

scr1
15th Apr 2009, 08:22
you can allways PD it

just cancel the moniters

**mc/x
@y

then start 6

**mc/s/6

then

NN

and @y

flt closed LDM sent

OpsSix
15th Apr 2009, 09:16
Anyone looking in on this thread who has no Codeco experience is probably hoping they never have to set eyes on it! :ok:

Dropline
15th Apr 2009, 18:24
I'm sure the OP is running a mile by now....

OpsSix

Try loadsheeting a flight my way (make sure monitor 5 has been run to gate the flight) Then to PD it you will only need to do.

**mc/s/6
nn
@y

scr1

If you do the entries and run the monitors in the right order, there is no need to cancel them to close a flight out properly!!!

I was lucky enough to be trained by someone with 20 years codeco experience...

OpsSix
15th Apr 2009, 21:27
Will give it a go tomorrow and report back. It is a pain when I have to cancel monitor 5 and repeat it to start 6 then pd the flight.

scr1
16th Apr 2009, 10:46
dropline

normaly only need to start 6

but since having gone to load control from one place have to cancel them more often

jerboy
16th Apr 2009, 15:50
Is BA's DCS (BABS) based on codeco? The entries and logic of the entries are extremely similar.

sandyman
20th Apr 2009, 23:04
thanks for that guys

as to why ive not asked the manager is cos i did ask when i was going through my training for a copy and was denyed. maybe they dont want us to know the entire system so we cant go exploring so to speek. lol

thanks again guys for the help

sandy

LIMA18
3rd May 2009, 21:22
Dropline,

Sorry for the late input for this thread, I must admit that the same 'cowboy' who taught Ops Six taught me as well as I close and LS flights the identical way he does.

Could you please explain each step of your procedure and how it is better than Ops Six's.

Thanks.

Dropline
3rd May 2009, 23:59
My way is shorter and doesn't screw up the monitors. Codeco is all about running the monitors and doing things in sequence. If you do entries out of sequence, the monitors get stuck and the system doesn't work properly, especially when you try to PD the flight. Assuming all the previous monitors have been run correctly, to close out and loadsheet you only need to do

FC close flight
MO onloads any standbys
MS starts the monitors
SS shuts down system to prepare loadsheet
LS produces loadsheet

Then to PD

**MC/S/6 Runs final monitor actions
NN Release control of flight and send Load Message etc
@Y To confirm release of control

I've just found that if you do it this way the system works better!

getjetsetgo
9th May 2009, 05:24
I have worked in both NATIVE systems and GUIs for load control and i honestly prefer the native system. it gives a real feel for having to build flights from scratch and watching it run to the end. its more of a challenge. i presently work in Sabre Steadystate (Load Manager) and i am versed enough that i can build a flight in the load control system start to finish in 5 minutes. (this is on a good day). there is no challenge in that. Yes BA RTZ (Winbabs) and Codeco are built on the same infrastructure. entries are the same. only thing one system was built and maintained by BA and the other by KLM. there was a release on the KLM site that said they would stop supporting Codeco as they would be moving onto Amadeus Altea and that they would not leave their DCS customers in the dark as they would work with them to also make the move to Altea.

polarbearjim
15th May 2009, 17:23
I always forget to do monitor action 5. FC ... MS ... @y......:mad:!!! This thread is really cool by the way.

I have a codeco manual but they are apparently harder to get than gold dust so your not going to get mine! I doubt it would help you though for the reasons decribed already.

I would just get a notepad and write down the entries you use and refer to that. Eventually they will become motor functions as you fire them out!

sandyman
5th Jun 2009, 19:29
yeah thanks for the info guys.

ive gotten used to codaco over the last month. not a bad bit of kit once you get used to it. the manual sucks. lol i had a look at one in ops the other day - it wasnt what i was expecting. lol. i think ill stick to @h from now on. :p

im gonna be doing training on the saber system in a few weeks as we started handling PIA. yey. lol how is it?

have you guys seen the manual loadsheets for the A310 and B777 aircraft? im glad ive got a 1h 40 spin time on those. lol makes a change from the 20 mins im used to.

it shouldnt be that bad once im used to them. i can usually knock a manual dash 8 one out in just over 5 minutes.

getjetsetgo
7th Jun 2009, 17:11
hey sandyman. does PIA use SABRE's load manager system. its ok to use. but can't beat BA DCS. the airline that i do loadsheets for using Steadystate ( Sabre load manager) is considering moving to altea but the load control part of it is lacking features wen u compare it to Sabres product. and next thing. sabre ACSI does not account for A/c zones. gotta go count them for urself if u ever have to do a manual load sheet.

mas egypt
29th Sep 2011, 01:18
hi all
i just want all the entry of the codeco system urgently
i know it's soo hard but i just began work since one month later please:{ help me

AerialPerspective
3rd Feb 2014, 15:30
Hi there,
I don't agree. DCS is by far the best native system ever developed.
I was involved in the development of QUBE (Qantas Universal Business Environment) in both passenger and load control and it was by far the best implementation of DCS ever introduced - the things that system could do were amazing for a TPF product - Add Stop (adding a stop en-route without re-creating the flight), automated DI reaccommodation with six levels of re-accommodation, TP flow forward (a TP variation that allowed pax arriving early to be moved to an earlier flight while retaining their original seat and check in but then being automatically offloaded once they got a seat on the earlier flight, with auto-PNR update.
I have since seen SABRE and have had exposure to SABRE Load Manager - it is absolute rubbish - probably the worst system I've ever seen and the check in component is similarly absolutely pathetic. SABRE seem to have stopped somewhere in the 70's and never developed further - no mode switching, no semi-automated flight close or anything similar to DCS @A and MO, pax can do seat change after LS produced (if using separate LC system - this did not happen when QF Domestic used QUBE check in/res and LH Systems w/b - QF international btw used full DCS including ALP).
I don't know what Altea is like but have close friends who have worked on its development and it kicks SABRE all over the park. There is no comparison.
Every airline I have heard of that has gone to SABRE, especially those who chose it moving from DCS instead of Altea are absolutely regretful of the decision. How anyone could say SABRE LM is better than Altea FM just astounds me. Altea Suite is like a modern DCS but more flexible with Business Rules instead of online engineering records.
Apparently LH systems are moving to join with Amadeus.

AerialPerspective
3rd Feb 2014, 15:35
No, Codeco was purchased originally from BA - all DCS worldwide were originally purchased from BA or are originally a BABS system that was modified and on-sold.
Panamatic, System One, Deltamatic, QUBE, Qantam, Merlin (AN), Kriscom, Carina, all of them were originally BABS or its predecessor BOADICIA (phase 4/5 as opposed to BABS which is ALP).

750XL
5th Feb 2014, 15:02
Altea is a decent, and very easy system. It's all clickable (or accessible using F keys), no need to memorise codes etc.

Bigbluebroxi
5th Feb 2014, 16:58
Isnt codeco beingpit out to pasture in a couple of months?

chuvaca
5th Apr 2014, 10:22
Altea is a decent, and very easy system. It's all clickable (or accessible using F keys), no need to memorise codes etc.

Are you serious? :eek:

Ok it is maybe easy to use in the way it's visual but from a user point of view, it's the worst system I've ever used.

I've used SAS Palco, ORCA, CODECO, LH WAB, GAETAN and Altea.

The latter is by far the worse, it looks like it's made by people who have no idea about load planning.