PDA

View Full Version : Operate jet or prop from a gravel runway?

Tu154lover
9th Apr 2009, 15:06
Hello!
Is it possible to operate an ATR 72 or Q100 from a gravel runway? Or might a jet plane? Which planes can operate from a gravel runway (except from small props like DHC 6)
Thanks!
//Daniel

mutt
9th Apr 2009, 15:13
We did it for many years with the B737-200, they were fitted with gravel deflectors on the nose wheel and bleed air blown forward of the engines to deflect FOD.

Mutt

con-pilot
9th Apr 2009, 16:33
One of the early selling points of the Falcon 50 was its capability to operate off of unimproved runways, meaning grass, dirt or gravel. However, a service bulletin (SB) had to be complied with for approval for such operations. When we ordered our new Falcon 50EX in 2004 we asked for this service bulletin to be complied with, Dassault informed us that the parts for compliance to the service bulletin were no longer available and that of all the Falcon 50s built only one had the service bulletin installed and they dropped the program.

From what I recall the modifications involved the nose gear, nose wheels, main gear tires and the flaps. I could be wrong on this.

There were also videos of the Falcon 10 made by Dassault operating off of unimproved runways, however, I don't know if any Falcon 10s were approved to do so operationally.

I have operated King Air 200s and MU-2s on gravel runways in Canada and Alaska. You just have to be careful during reversing after landing and be slow adding power on takeoff to avoid damaging the propellers.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
9th Apr 2009, 17:18
Hello!
Is it possible to operate an ATR 72 or Q100 from a gravel runway? Or might a jet plane? Which planes can operate from a gravel runway (except from small props like DHC 6)
Thanks!
//Daniel

I believe HydroQuebec operates various dash-8/Q series (incl Q400) to their various northern Quebec locations, landing on gravel runways. idoubt they're the only such.

I believe there is (or was?) a gravel runway option for Challenger 601. However, whether it had any meaningful take-up, I have no idea. I have my doubts that many people bought a highly expensive business jet with the intention of landing on gravel, to be honest.

dixi188
9th Apr 2009, 18:48
BAe 146/RJ can operate off gravel runways with stone guard mods installed.

FLYBE did the mods about 2 years ago for an arab royal flight.

Tu154lover
10th Apr 2009, 22:14
What about the ATR 72?