PDA

View Full Version : B1 eng to ATPL

Dark Side
9th Apr 2009, 11:53
Hello All,

I have been in the aviation industry as a maintenance engineer since being 16 and I am fast approaching the big four 0. I have been licensed the last 12 years or so and have had enough of the engineering side.

I am undertaking my PPL very soon with the intention of gaining my ATPL and the obvious move to the flying side to finish off the last years of my aviation career.

Does anybody have any advice for me on whether I should undertake this endeavour or not,particularly the availability of jobs once gaining my ATPL.

I appreciate that things change quickly in the aviation industry, you only have to look back less than 12 months!!

All feedback is welcomed no matter how harsh! I just want to get an idea that I am doing the right thing before parting with a vast sum of money and not getting as decent position at the end of it--I am sure it is a question everyone ponders on but like I have said I welcome all feedback and insight.

Regards, DS

Flying Torquewrench
9th Apr 2009, 12:11
Dark side,

Made the same career change as you a few years ago. (B1 to pilot)

My advice would be to get your ATPL via the modular route. This way you can keep your current job and the financial impact is a bit less. It also means that if you don't find a job as a pilot immediatly you still got an income.

Quite a lot of pilot who were engineers before in our company.

Best of luck with your choice.

FT

Dark Side
9th Apr 2009, 13:20
Hello FT,

Thanks for the reply!! Modular is what I have been looking at, as you quite rightly point out I can keep working and pay the bills etc!!!!!
Just out of interest can you divulge who you are working for?

Regards,

DS

Flying Torquewrench
9th Apr 2009, 16:06
DS,

Work for Monarch.

As you already said it is impossible to predict if you get a job after gaining your ATPL. Certainly at this moment with the current economic crisis. When the situation improves the experienced pilots will most probably be the first ones to get back into the business.

If I were you I would take my time in getting my ATPL and in the menatime do some networking with regards to jobs. Don't know were you work now but is it possible to move within the organisation? (if it is an airline you work for)

It is a great job and I really enjoy it. However an experienced engineer with a repituble company earns more than a First Officer.

And at your age (sorry) I wouldn't take up a loan of around £80k to get into this profession. Please don't get me wrong I am not painting a doom and gloom picture but T's & C's are constantly under attack as you are well aware of.

If you can get your ATPL without losing your job and getting a huge loan then by all means give it a go. Better to say in 20 years that you have tried and it didn't work then regret that you never tried it.

FT

MrFixer!!!
9th Apr 2009, 18:37
Hi DS, I am a B1 myself and very seriously looking into it now....good advise on here by flyingtorquewrench.....I have met so many ex-engineers pilots and they all encourage to GO FOR IT......who knows the aircraft better than us :} I will very soon be going for Modular route myself....Good Luck mate!!!

Dark Side
10th Apr 2009, 14:52
Hello Folks,

Great feedback,gives me alot to mull over---def going to give it a go--like you say FT better to have tried and see wht happens rather than not try at all.
MR FIX--best of luck to you to mate,let me know where you do your training,if your midland based maybe able to do some hours building together if that can be allowed.

DS

MrFixer!!!
11th Apr 2009, 01:03
DS, I am in London mate, doing lots of double shift O/T to get some "dosh" under the belt :E before embarking on this road, however, keep in touch through pms and let me know where and when you are starting your ppl, hopefully we can get together for some ''Hour Building''. Good Luck

r44flyer
11th Apr 2009, 16:52
You're not John are you?