PDA

View Full Version : Crew Meals Requirements

Phenom
9th Apr 2009, 09:29
Hello fellow aviators. Can anyone please help me out with what the law says with regards to crew meal requirements? In Airline operations, how frequent does one needs to have a meal in order to meet body requirements. Some Airlines do not provide their crew with meals regardless of where they send them. References will be highly appreciated.

Phenom

Agaricus bisporus
9th Apr 2009, 09:52
Phenol, you've answered your own question, haven't you?

Some airlines provde crew food, some don't. So what do you suppose the "law" has to say about it?

Tin-Tin
9th Apr 2009, 12:01
Do you want to eat or do you want to fly?

Gooneybird
9th Apr 2009, 17:35
I want to eat. i fly in order to afford doing so.

To the OP, pack a lunchbox.

V1... Ooops
9th Apr 2009, 22:30
I think that the answer to the question is that it is the responsibility of each pilot to ensure that they are medically fit to fly, and that responsibility encompasses ensuring that they have had enough sleep, are properly hydrated, properly nourished, etc.

In short - bring your own lunchbox and water bottle if you have any doubts about whether or not someone else will take care of your nutritional needs during your duty time period.

JABAG
10th Apr 2009, 18:14
The issue of crew meals is an intresting one. This was initially pushed by pilot unions, however in recent times, some regulations actually state that the crew should be given the opportunity to maintain and regulate their blood sugar. In effect food and water. Now you will be entitleed to crew meals depending on what your duty period is.
Ive quoted this from memory and will need to look up the reference, but this is normaly found in the Subpart Q section of the regulations.

JABAG.

AAL
10th Apr 2009, 19:21
It may be better for you to arrange or prepare your own meals if flying in Africa, unless you like Matoke sandwiches of course.

Phenom
11th Apr 2009, 20:37
Hi JABAG

Thank you for a positive response. This is a seriously heated issue especially for remote operations. If you do get additional information, please PM me.

Happy landings!

Phenom

V1... Ooops
12th Apr 2009, 01:26
Phenom:

I flew 'remote operations' for many years in Africa, usually on behalf of the ICRC. The charterer (ICRC) would supply us with a coolbox full of food and drink if we were operating from locations where it was not possible for us to get food and drink on our own initiative at either origin or destination.

If we were operating from locations where we could be reasonably expected to provision ourselves (e.g. from a city that has supermarkets, such as Nairobi), then we were expected to bring our own provisions.

Hope this helps.

big buddah
12th Apr 2009, 02:29
Under current New Zealand labour law it states but don't quote me that for every 5 hours you work you must have at least 30 min free from all duties.

Which means when your flying you can do 4.5 duty the you must have a 50min turn around so you can have your 30min free of duty before you crank up again. The 50 mins gives you 10 min each side of your break to get operation stuff done.

However in all African operations I have worked, you have to forcefully take a break some people understand and support you. Some have no idea about rest and time out.

Saying all that, if a job has to be done and none of the crew mind. I don't mind getting a coffee on the run and getting home early!

BB

CJ750
12th Apr 2009, 06:01
I guess it is different in all the various sectors of aviation like corporate to airline to charter to contract. But the bottom line is if you do not look after yourself then you will go hungry especially if you do not like the food supplied. Also some people have the policy of each pilot must eat a different meal. Does that still exist today.

9-er
13th Apr 2009, 14:38
Yes, I believe that airlines which serve meals to the pilots still require that each cockpit crewmember has a different meal, basically to avoid the possibility of more than one crewmember suffering debilitating food poisoning at the same time in case one batch of similar meals is contaminated.