PDA

View Full Version : Wellington crash on Trucial Coast 1943

l.garey
9th Apr 2009, 08:37
I posted this message in the Aviation History section, but have not got very far. I wonder if anyone here can help.
A few years ago I did some research on the crash of Wellington HX748 in 1943. It was on the strength of the Aircraft Delivery Unit, 4 Ferry Control Unit, Middle East Command.
On 13 February 1943, it landed at the Staging Post, RAF Sharjah, and on 14 February 1943, took off for Karachi. Some 30 minutes later, when over the sea, the pilot noticed oil on the reduction gear casing of the port engine. This coupled with a visibility of only 2 miles made him decide to return to Sharjah. After about 7 minutes the port propeller flew off . The pilot was forced to land on a rocky strip of coast at Dhadnah, now in the UAE: the aircraft was badly damaged and the navigator killed.
On 17 February, an aircraft (I presume a Bisley) from 244 Squadron Sharjah took off to drop supplies. This aircraft reported that four members of the crew were apparently uninjured.
On 22 February three of the crew, rescued by the Royal Navy, reached Sharjah, the fourth survivor, the passenger, remaining on board HMS Capetown in order to continue his journey to Karachi.
The crew and passenger were as follows: Sgt. G. Chadwick (pilot); Sgt. W.H (Billy) Donnelly (navigator); Sgt. G.A. Wharton (wireless operator); Sgt. W.J. Brown (wireless operator); Lt.-Col. De Watteville (passenger).
Billy Donnelly was buried by the crew near the aircraft. A month later someone photographed the grave, and I have just been sent a copy of the photo by a member of Billy's family. Apparently it was labelled 244 Sqd on the back. However, the exact site seems not to be known.
The question is: does anyone know any more about this accident, or have any way of contacting the surviving crew members?
Billy's family is keen to know more, and locate the crash site.
As I shall be in that area soon, I agreed to try to help them
Thanks all.

Laurence

Pontius Navigator
10th Apr 2009, 09:42
Try contacting the Air Historical Branch - not sure of the address. With this wealth of information it would be relatively easy to check the F540 and F541 for those units to see if there was any more detail. The RAF Sharjar F540 may also have some information.

l.garey
10th Apr 2009, 09:52
Thanks Pontius.
Much or most of the AHB material is at the National Archives, Kew. I was there a few weeks ago in relation to some research on Sharjah. But you have to be there to go through the files, and I am not there at the moment. I tried the online catalogue, but it simply refers you to searching the actualy records on site.
Next time I am near Kew though....

Laurence