PDA

View Full Version : Why Bellview aircraft crashed in 2005

V1_RHOT8
9th Apr 2009, 05:30
News -- Why Bellview aircraft crashed in 2005, by U.S. experts (http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/6/701.html)

Why Bellview aircraft crashed in 2005, by U.S. experts
By Rotimi Durojaiye, Group Business Editor, Lagos

American aviation experts who investigated Bellview's Boeing 737 aircraft that crashed on October 22, 2005 have attributed the accident to fire. http://odili.net/images/blank.gif

But the looting of the wreckage by villagers prevented them from getting concrete evidence to determine whether the fire occurred before or after the crash.

The accident report is contained in a memorandum to the United States Department of Justice by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), a copy of which was obtained by Daily Independent at the weekend.

Brent Watkins of FBI Explosive Unit (EU) signed the report. The investigators included personnel from Boeing (manufacturers of the aircraft); Pratt and Whitney (manufacturers of the engine); and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

The NTSB maintains the database of civil aviation accidents and conducts studies of transportation safety issues of national significance.

It provides investigators to serve as U.S. accredited representatives as specified in international treaties for aviation accidents overseas, involving aircraft registered in the U.S., or involving aircraft or major components of U.S. manufacture.

The experts noted that Bellview Flight 210 impacted the ground in an almost straight-in attitude (right wing slightly low) while the engines were at full speed. They estimated that the plane was cruising at approximately 400 miles per hour (mph) with G-forces (Gravitational forces) up to approximately 24 Gs.

"Examiners were advised that some witnesses stated that the aircraft was on fire as it descended towards the ground, but the credibility or accuracy of those statements could not be established.

"The NTSB representative also reported that the crash site had been extensively looted, the aircraft had approximately 11,000 kilogrammes of fuel on board prior to departure, and there was no declared HAZMAT (Hazard Material) aboard the aircraft," Watkins said.

The report noted though the investigators had access to all the wreckage recovered by November 10, 2005, they were unable to examine any luggage or cargo because they had been looted.

"Physical examination of the wreckage and explosives residue testing showed no evidence of high explosives. There was clear evidence of a fire but no conclusion could be reached as to whether the fire occurred prior to the crash or only as a result of the crash.

"No conclusions were drawn as to the cause of the fire. There are indications the fire damage discussed above was post-crash, but there is sufficient evidence (in the wreckage examined by the EU) to rule out a localised in-flight or determine its origin.

"There was no examination of luggage or any other items which had been loaded into the cargo hold of the aircraft."

Two additional sections of the wreckage from the same area of the cargo hold were examined and neither exhibited signs of high explosive damage.

The report noted, however, that after the visual examination of a three-foot by four-foot piece object, there was no high explosive damage, but that there was evidence of a relatively low temperature fire.

"The fire was sufficiently intense to cause a lead panel on the inside of the aircraft skin to begin melting, but not intense enough to melt the aluminium. Lead melts at approximately 327 degrees Celsius and aluminium at over 600 degrees Celsius.

"Additionally, the lead did not exhibit any pitting, impact craters, or fragment penetrations. The localised temperature produce by the detonation of high explosives far exceeds the melting point of aluminium."

Swabs taken from the inner and outer surface of the piece of interest were screened at the FBI laboratory for explosive residue but the results were negative.

Bellview Flight 210 crashed at Lisa, a village in Ogun State. All the 117 people on board perished.

They included Waziri Ibrahim, Nigeria Railway Corporation Chairman; Maria Shokenu, former People's Bank of Nigeria Managing Director; Abubakar Argungu, federal Post Master General; John Udeka, ACB International Bank Managing Director; and Joseph Igwe, Bolingo Hotels Abuja Chairman.

skygod
9th Apr 2009, 22:18
Im going to make it short and simple.
-I flew the aircraft BFN on friday night and it crashed on Saturday with the same captn.
- The aircraft crashed due to problems with flight controls.
- Crew being overworked, and fatigue was definately a major contributor to the crash of B3 flight 210.:\
- It had nothing to do with any explosive device onboard.
- It was an accident waiting to happen, and NCAA was aware of it.
- Only God Knows how many ADS the B767 has NOT complied with, and its still flying humans (Nigerians) to LHR.
- Its a crime against humanity to do this.
- NCAA Knows what to do.:ugh:
May their souls rest in peace.Amen.(B3 210).
A word is enough for the wise.:ugh:

Revnetwork
10th Apr 2009, 12:00
The tragedy is that most people in the Nigerian Aviation Industry (pilots, engineers etc) know which airlines/airplanes are flying coffins but nobody will speak up. Why???

LongJohnThomas
12th Apr 2009, 01:27
The tragedy is that most people in the Nigerian Aviation Industry (pilots, engineers etc) know which airlines/airplanes are flying coffins but nobody will speak up. Why???

The answer is simple!!!
We get labelled as trouble makers and instigators of mayhem.
Classed, Unemployable and Uncontrollable!!!
The credit crunch was in Nigeria LONG before the rest of the world knew it as it is today.
Thus, the so called professionals have been quiet to keep their jobs and feed their families if it means dying in the process for some half-witted, :mad: up idiots in management who don't give a toss whether or not they (the pilots) live, or die!!!!

We get witch-hunted with the aid of our so called colleagues who are more concerned about being called some lousy title.

For those of you who think keeping quiet and maintaining status-quo is the norm, you will only have yourselves to blame eventually, lets just hope its not too late by the time you realize that whistle-blowing may just save your lives!!!

Sad, but all true!!!!:ok:

atedo
14th Apr 2009, 12:46
Everyone pretends that nothing is happening.

Where are the Safety Inspectors and Supervisors? I know NCAA have their officers attached to certain airline aircrafts. Some body was attached to that aircraft and others. What did the officer report about the aircraft after the crash; was he ever questioned.

A lot of things are wrong at NCAA and at the risk of the crew and flying public.

I will blame the experts for flying this aircraft with the knowledge of all these inadequacies.

Drivers should help the industry!!!!!!!!:mad:

Flightsimman
15th Apr 2009, 12:46
OK then...All good and said in asking questions for greater responsibility BUT!

I have one question...

Why don't we start with the recent crash of 5N-JAH (where are the pictures of this crashed aircraft and a preliminary report??)

Did the aircraft actually crash or was it hiding in Lanseria getting a new identity as part of some insurance scam ?? (her sister-ship was there in August 2008 and I have the photo's to prove it!)

I have asked these questions before and get the same old cheap replies.

If the Nigerian authorities are serious about improving the credibility of the NCAA, then let's start with this event (it should at least be fresh in their minds!)

:ugh:

LOS
15th Apr 2009, 13:03
Check te report and a picture (which has been published in ThisDay last year) of the crashed 5N-JAH at ::Accident Investigation Bureau Official Website (http://www.aib.gov.ng/).

Wings Aviation always had two B1900s. You saw 5N-PTL at Lanseria last year.

SIDESTICKDRIVER
15th Apr 2009, 15:06
Good that you are not scared to tell it how it is.........

The minute one stands up for yourself and/or other crew......we are the one's classed as making sh:mad:t!!

I agree..........could not have been said better!!

Guess we will still be transmitting on 126.9 many years from now!!

Flightsimman
15th Apr 2009, 15:23
Greetings,

Thank you for the information.....

Reference made in the report on the aircraft appearance before the said accident was incorrect as the aircraft livery consisted of a white coat with swirly "grey", "blue" and "Red" ribbons covering the exterior all the way up to the tail. There was also a mixture of "white","blue" and "Red" on the top of the engine covers and winglets (not the "blue" and "white" livery as shown in the report photo.)

The reference to the "color" and "font" of the tail section was also incorrect as 5N-JAH did not have it's registration on the tail (it was on the rear fuselage starting between the 6th and 8th window leading up to the "cargo door" on the "Port" side and the color of the font was "Red", not "black" as shown in the report.)

The section referred to as the "tail" in the report could of have well indeed been the "top" of the wing as the color and type of font is similar to the pictures I have of this aircraft.

Do you happen to know if there were any further pictures taken at the crash site which show remnants of the livery?

Thanks..

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3581/5njah.jpg

LOS
15th Apr 2009, 15:46
Forget the conspiracy theories. Here are pictures of the two aircraft before the crash:

PTL: MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery (http://www.myaviation.net/search/search.php?view=&regnr=5N-PTL)
JAH: MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery (http://www.myaviation.net/search/search.php?view=&regnr=5N-JAH)

Also: Aviation Safety Network > ASN Aviation Safety Database > Operator index > Nigeria > Wings Aviation (http://aviation-safety.net/database/operator/airline.php?var=7277)

No way that they flew it out of the country and changed the reg at Lanseria. It could have, but it didn't happen.

Flightsimman
15th Apr 2009, 20:45
Hi,

Thanks for the photo's but I have many photo's of 5N-JAH (both inside and out) and a number of exterior photo's of 5N-PTL.

Back to my original question....Whilst the fuselage was consumed by fire, there MUST be a photo available of part of a structure that shows the livery clearly.

:ok:

LOS
15th Apr 2009, 20:57
There is a clear picture of the registration (5N-JAH) on page 6 in the interim report. What more evidence are you looking for?

Flightsimman
15th Apr 2009, 23:49
So are we to believe all pictures that are shown as evidence (especially in cases where "doubt" remains of the event actually taking place?)

No disrespect to the unfortunate people who lost their lives (if it did happen) and their loved ones, but surely there must of have been many photo's taken of the crash site!

:ugh:

LongJohnThomas
16th Apr 2009, 15:52
There is a clear picture of the registration (5N-JAH) on page 6 in the interim report. What more evidence are you looking for?

I will not start with any theories here, but i think you need to look again at what you have presented as evidence of a crash.

The airplane had an all white external appearance with stripes of blue and red. The under-side (belly) of the airplane was also white and the Registration ' 5N-JAH written in bold red letters on the right wing.

How is it that all of a sudden, the airplane is supposedly in the bushes with an aluminium background and JAH written in Black?

I could as well get any piece of aluminium and paint JAH on it with a more convincing appearance than what you present as evidence of a crash-site and the remains of that airplane!!!!

It is my take that even to an untrained eye, it is easy to see that they do not match!!!!!
You may make any sort of come-back you like, but i assure you, what you have presented so far, is not enough to draw any conclusions as to what happened to that airplane, PERIOD!!!

If anything, what you have shown, begs more questions!!

Only my opinion!!!:ok:

LongJohnThomas
16th Apr 2009, 16:21
:ok::eek::ok:

Flightsimman
16th Apr 2009, 23:48
Well what can I say LongJohn apart from "You're Da Man" !!!!

I have been asking these same questions for a large number of months, due to the fact that I flew on that aircraft a number of times when it was "leased" to another operator who looked after it like it was one of their own and can't believe that it crashed due to a mechanical problem.

The NCAA (Nigerian Aviation Authorities) need to take these events very seriously as the eyes of the world are watching, their crash reports need to include all the relevant details with as much information as possible to remove any doubt (including showing pictures that clearly identify the aircraft if possible) !!

It goes waaaaaaay back to when the reported crash first occurred and the "in-ability" to trace the aircraft via it's "ELT" beacon to when the doubt first started.

Now that you have made your comments, let's see if other Nigerian's in the industry can get involved to get to the bottom of this once and for-all!

Thanks!
:ok:

Flightsimman
17th Apr 2009, 01:52
I just read the press conference on the crash as written on the "Accident Investigation Bureau Of Nigeria" website and noted that they have the wrong rego!

Ladies and gentlemen of the Press,

Let me appreciate you for honouring our invitation to this briefing although the notice was short.

You would recall that a year ago the nation recorded the loss of a Beechcraft 1900D belonging to Wings Aviation, which took off from Lagos en-route Bebi Airport in Obudu, Cross River State.

The aircraft marked 5N-JAL was first declared missing and was not found until 30 August, 2008 by some local hunters in the thick and mountainous forest of Busi village, Obalinku Local Government despite all human and material resources deployed towards its search and rescue.

I would say that is a fairly "pathetic" mistake as this whole investigation seems to be!

LongJohnThomas
17th Apr 2009, 08:12
Now that you have made your comments, let's see if other Nigerian's in the industry can get involved to get to the bottom of this once and for-all!
I would not hold my breath on that if i were you mate!!!!
That's just the way things pan out in that neck of the woods.
A lot of chickens that crow before dawn!!!!

atedo
17th Apr 2009, 09:30
-I flew the aircraft BFN on friday night and it crashed on Saturday with the same captn.
- The aircraft crashed due to problems with flight controls.
- Crew being overworked, and fatigue was definately a major contributor to the crash of B3 flight 210.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wibble.gif
- It had nothing to do with any explosive device onboard.
- It was an accident waiting to happen, and NCAA was aware of it

Its seems we have digressed from the B3 crash.

aint saying that the nb eechcraft 'accident' is not critical but there is a lot of questions raised by Skygod on the B3 issue.

Why are drivers flying an obvious 'epileptic' equipment and why are the regulators looking the otherway in all of these

NIJASEA
17th Apr 2009, 17:35
In B3 it was fly or be fired. crew were doing over 150hrs monthly. What are the schedules for the Airlines in Nigeria and how many pilots does each Airline have? If the NCAA who approve the routes and licence crew cant work that out who are we to think we can do otherwise. If you are out of a job for a year and are called to fly and the allowance is tied to your hours per month, I guess you would have to be a bachelor not to fly as much as you can, coz not knowing how long the job will last is a frightening prospect.
I was in B3 and saw the maint culture and the blatant disregard for human life that includes the life of the crew.

If you have a cargo fire would you really be flying away from the Airport or towards it?

skygod
17th Apr 2009, 20:12
Dear Aviators,
I think were all wasting our time and effort,disscssing something thats not going to change. Everyone knows what caused the B3 crash...Even the NCAA, and probably Royal Air Maroc where the last C check was carried out.
CORRUPTION is the answer to the loss of 116 lives on on board flight b3210. We were black mailed into flying airplanes for example which have not complied with the rudder AD on the b737-200. The list goes ON and ON, and NCAA know whats going on in bellview..
Bellview is the only airline in the world that was happy to have a crash, because the made $3,million dollars profit from the insurance company,after paying all the passengers each, $100,000.00. Its seems to belliview mgmt a human life is worth $100,000.00 so its ok to crash a plane,as long as the insurance can pay.
I think this is a crime against humanity for any one to put a price on human lives..I hope this can end this thread peacefully,and may their souls rest in peace Amen.B3 210 BFN Lag-Abj.:ugh:
For all those flying in Nigeria..fly safe its a v stressfull environment to fly in...

flysafe
skygod