PDA

View Full Version : Crash in Papua

Massey058
9th Apr 2009, 00:20
Have just been told by my companies ground staff that an Aviastar aircraft has crashed into terrain in Wamena. Unsure at this stage as to whether it is a Twin Otter or their BAe 146 which does a multiple daily Sentani-Wamena shuttle.

UPDATE: Now sounds like it was the BAe 146 on a cargo flight with 6 on board.

Jakarta Jock
9th Apr 2009, 02:09
Crash occured circa 0800 local time (0001 GMT). Believed fog in the area and first reports said that aircraft flew ito a mountain. Wamena is in a valley and is surrounded by mountains up to 15,000 feet . Weather in this part of papua very changeable and low cloud can sweep in without warning.

aseanaero
9th Apr 2009, 05:37
BAE146-300 , it hit a mountain 15kms from the airport and is in 3 pieces.

I just got a phone call that said the aircraft had just aborted a landing and was going around.

Diesel Fitter
9th Apr 2009, 05:51
Two?

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - A pilot and co-pilot are believed dead after a cargo plane carrying elections materials crashed in the mountainous area of Indonesia's eastern Papua province Thursday, an air transport official said.

The Aviastar cargo plane was travelling from the provincial capital Jayapura to Wamena town when it crashed at 8:00 am (2300 GMT Wednesday) while attempting to land, Mimika air transport chief Jonrettob was quoted by AFP as saying.

"We are still investigating the cause of the crash. But we believe the pilot Sigit and co-pilot Lukman have been killed in the crash," he added.

The plane was carrying elections materials including ballot papers and boxes, Jonrettob said.

"Without the materials, some polling stations could not carry out the elections," he added without elaborating.

Four?

Major General Bagus Ekodanto said the bodies of the pilot, co-pilot and two other crew members had been pulled from the smouldering wreckage.(BBC)

Six?

All six people on board were killed after a small plane crashed before landing in Papua province in easternmost of Indonesia on Thursday morning, an investigator said. Investigator from Indonesian Aviation Safety Commission named only Sulaiman said that the Comby PAS146 cargo-and-passenger plane operated by Avia Star airline was on route from Sentani to Wamena of the province, Xinhua reported.

flying-spike
9th Apr 2009, 07:17
Not DGCA Sigit I hope?

Silver Spur
10th Apr 2009, 20:32
My thoughts are for the families of the victims.
Does any one know the complete details of the deceased crew members?