PDA

View Full Version : What really is the average salary??

Grambo
8th Apr 2009, 21:34
Getting some different figures.

And also, is there really a massive surplus of pilots?

Jumbo744
8th Apr 2009, 21:39
impossible to say. But generally, money is not bad when you are a pilot.

Personally, I don't think that much about the money. It's all about the passion and lifestyle. Between a flying job with not that much money and a 9 to 5 job with lots of money, I will always take the flying job.
:ok:

Grambo
8th Apr 2009, 21:42
I agree to an extent.

Getting in thousands of £s of debt, only to realise that it wasnt really worth it as youve spent a good part of your life paying it back.

Figures? By experience. Ive read £45k for a pilot, 20k for a first officer. These seem lower than other figures I have read though.

Nearly There
8th Apr 2009, 21:48
Ive read £45k for a pilot, 20k for a first officer

A FO is a pilot, did you mean Captain and First Officer?

Have a look through the site below, it will give you an idea of salary expectations.

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/operatorlist.php?reg=Europe

Grambo
8th Apr 2009, 21:50
Thanks NearlyThere, very useful.

shaun ryder
8th Apr 2009, 21:53
[QUOTE]But generally, money is not bad when you are a pilot./QUOTE]

That really does depend on what you fly and who you work for.

[QUOTE]Personally, I don't think that much about the money. It's all about the passion and lifestyle./QUOTE]

You must be in a minority of one, every pilot I know moans about the lifestyle and wants more money.

[QUOTE]By experience. Ive read £45k for a pilot, 20k for a first officer. /QUOTE]

Yes thats right, pilots earn more than the flap operator. You do know that there are two qualified pilots on a flight deck I hope?

Bealzebub
8th Apr 2009, 21:56
Bit of a daft question. Average of what? Captains salaries, First Officers salaries, New start First/second officers salaries. Salaries for Jet/ Turboprop. Salaries in the UK, The EC, Europe, the world, Asia, North America. Average of the top 5 companies by number of passengers carried, 10 companies, 20 companies. Companies that are actually recruiting anybody. The point being that averages mean very little unless you clarify the particular grouping you are "averaging."

There is a global economic downturn, which is putting pressure on employment markets generally. This is affecting established labour markets such that jobs are not being created to the same extent they were in the past, and many companies are freezing or cutting back on staff. I am talking about experienced and well qualified pilots in this case. For wannabees the jobs are extremely thin on the ground because so many experienced pilots are competing for what few opportunities do arise.

So to answer your question. Research those particular companies you are interested in to compile your database to extract your average salary. Yes there is a massive surplus of inexperienced pilots. This is likely to remain to the case as long as experienced and well qualified pilots are finding it harder to secure employment.

Grambo
8th Apr 2009, 21:57
Sorry...I thought Pilot = Main pilot & First Officer = 2nd pilot.

shaun ryder
8th Apr 2009, 22:01
Your having a laugh right?

ford cortina
9th Apr 2009, 03:25
Captain, about £4.50 and a taxi home, Flap Operator £1.50 and a bicycle padlock.
Hope this helps:ugh:

potkettleblack
9th Apr 2009, 08:13
Have a look at ppjn. Then discount whatever figures you get by a substantial amount. Reason is this. Whatever the top tier figure quoted is you will more than likely never achieve this in your lifetime. Most airlines have a salary scale based on years of service and seniority. Although in theory you are meant to move up the scale each year the company will invariably shift the goal posts. In the current climate companies are either freezing or cutting pay. When you get your incremental annual increase (if at all) when we come out of this recession it will be years overdue and you will have effectively slipped back a number of pay scales. You will therefore be closer to retirement and hence have less years of service available to make all that lovely money.

BigNumber
9th Apr 2009, 18:50
TP P1 - 45K - 65K (GBP)
TP P2 - 18K+ (GBP)

Jet P1 - 65K + (GBP)
Jet P2 - 35K + (GBP)

These are basic pay, per diems / Sector probably add around +2K,
; if you are lucky there will be LOL, Medical and 7 - 9% matched money purchase pension.

(That is assuming that you are not paying for the honour of wearing your white shirts n gold bars!)

preduk
9th Apr 2009, 19:25
Grambo,

Have a look at this post, might give you a better idea:

http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/359421-2009-what-your-take-home-pay-thread.html

drpep
11th Apr 2009, 01:39
Big Number has it about right,

starting salary for airbus FO = £35-40k + FDP
Skipper = £70-80 + FDP

BSmuppet
11th Apr 2009, 09:10
Guys,

Grambo the clown does not even know what a pilot is.

So do you really think all of those FDP TP P1 nonsense will mean anything to him?

londonmet
11th Apr 2009, 11:01
Grambo,

What is a 2nd pilot? Are you a pilot? Are you a 2nd pilot? Are you a prospective pilot?

L Met

johnnyDB
11th Apr 2009, 11:09
Yup, Fo must be the guy who serves the drinks whilst the pilot gets us home :8

BigNumber
11th Apr 2009, 16:20
To be honest, unless you have 1000+ hrs on type, paid work will be somewhat challenging to find. (The figures I quoted earlier only fit these fortunate circumstances).

I really do not wish to mislead any potential frozen ATPL.

Outwith this criteria, most opportunies will involve the candidate paying generously for his drive. Sadly it's become akin to 'Vanity Publishing'.

mr.tos
13th Apr 2009, 02:45
Sorry...I thought Pilot = Main pilot & First Officer = 2nd pilot.

So does that make the chief stewardess the back up pilot?

Vems
13th Apr 2009, 14:57
Why do you care about the average?

Some pilots can earn a lot.. some can't. Depends on where you work, for who you work and so on and on and on!

Although if you're looking for a career that is well paid.. I'd go somewhere else..

and.. before you say something stupid again.. I would do a little research ;)

Vems.

birddream
13th Apr 2009, 15:33
what is going look like after 3 years? overall going better or worse then?

Bambe
14th Apr 2009, 04:18
Why do you care about the average?

Some pilots can earn a lot.. some can't. Depends on where you work, for who you work and so on and on and on!

Although if you're looking for a career that is well paid.. I'd go somewhere else..

Exactly the kind of stupid reply we can read on Pprune...... Who doesn't care about how much he will take home?

It is tough at the beginning but whith time (and command) it's a very well paid job.

The average given above is correct. Plus, if you fly for the same airline for, let's say, 10 or 15 years (or more), you'll get seniority bonuses on the top.
And if you're TRE, TRI or base captain, it's even more.