PDA

View Full Version : daru, png

witwiw
8th Apr 2009, 13:03
Contemplating a trip through there and was wondering how to get hold of an aerodrome chart for initial preparation. Any websites etc that anyone knows of where I might be able to view such a chart?

Been to the www.raafais.gov.au (http://www.raafais.gov.au) site and got the details, but no charts..............

hole.digger
8th Apr 2009, 15:57
Maybe wrong, but think it's in the ERS(A). Used to go in there lots. If not, youll get the runway numbers on the initial low pass (youll get the runway direction and the locals off it). Built by a mining company, so good enough for big(ish) a/c. Worse places in the world. Beware the customs/ quarintine "new fee(s)". Get a reciept!
Otherwise, have fun. Whats the plan?

tinpis
8th Apr 2009, 20:07
Painted crays...yum

sundaun
8th Apr 2009, 20:38
Couple of years since I have been there, no terminal any more. No avgas anymore. No fuel in Customs & Immigrations car anymore. Take your own "Top ofDescent" insecticide. Diplomatic clrnces for PNG [email protected] or phone 3257500 ext 544/549. (fax 3236198 if any paper) I walked to the Customs & Immigration on one occasion in town to get processed (25 min) Plenty of savvy pedestriantraffic using LAHSO/simops. Some quite soft spots in runway. Daru Customs ph 6459114/6459160. Horn 0740691554/691211. Charts in ERSA.Horn are able to contact them better than you can. Don't do anything silly!

witwiw
8th Apr 2009, 22:01
Tried looking in ERSA, couldn't find Daru - or are you talking about a PNG equivalent of ERSA? Otherwise, thanks for the info on CIQ etc - very helpful.

cwc
8th Apr 2009, 22:18
Go via Horn, get customs there to call Customs over there when you leave. Cant miss the runway, it splits the island in half. Definalty do a low pass and check the strip out. Last time I was there my front oleo found a dirty big pothole that was not there the week before.......and it lets the locals know to get off the runway. You will see know one one landing but low and behold the minute you backtrack the runway is like a inner city crossing at lunchtime. Stay with your plane, be nice to the locals and you will be fine.

Captain Nomad
9th Apr 2009, 07:39
If you've got a fax number you can PM me and I can fax you something out of the PNG AIP. Don't forget to have the HF frequencies sorted before you go. All flights in PNG = mandatory position reporting.

witwiw
14th Apr 2009, 11:14
Thanks all, for your replies - they've been of great assistance.