PDA

View Full Version : One-Two-Go added to the EC Blacklist

InvestigateUdom
8th Apr 2009, 11:45
EU Bans Thai, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Benin Airlines From EU

BRUSSELS (Dow Jones)--The European Commission banned airlines from Thailand, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Benin from flying to the European Union because of safety concerns, it said Wednesday.
The commission, the E.U.'s executive body, has added Thailand's One Two Go Airlines, all airlines from Benin, six carriers from Kazakhstan and Ukraine's Motor Sich Airlines to its blacklist of airlines not allowed to fly to the bloc, it said in a statement.
The commission regularly publishes a list of passenger and cargo airlines which are banned from flying to its 27 member countries because they aren't considered safe enough.
Air Company Kokshetau, ATMA Airlines, Berkut Air, East Wing, Sayat Air and Starline KZ are the Kazakhstan carriers banned Wednesday.

---
The only other countries with airlines on the EC list are: Kazakhstan, Korea, Sudan, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Ukraine, Angola, Benin, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Indonesia, Kyrgyz, Liberia, Gabon, Sierra Leone, and Swaziland.

---

ZFT
8th Apr 2009, 12:04
Whilst I have often disagreed with some of your posts that were anti Thailand as opposed to anti crap, I do believe that you are somewhat responsible for this.

Well done. Hopefully this will be the death knell for this rubbish carrier

Avman
8th Apr 2009, 13:37
Did One-to-Go have plans to fly to Europe?

WHBM
8th Apr 2009, 13:45
Why does the EU only ban airlines from Europe that have never operated to the EU ? Seems a complete waste of time.

It also appears the lead in to the article "The European Commission banned airlines from Thailand, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Benin from flying to the European Union" is quite misleading. Reading this you might think initially that Thai International, or Ukraine International, both with significant operations to the EU, have been banned. Only by reading on through the detail do you find it is just an insignificant and unknown carrier from each country who have been banned.

HeadingSouth
8th Apr 2009, 14:20
Wasn't it 1-2-Go to operate MD-9x's ?? They would never make it to Europe on a commercially viable trip anyway.
However, Orient Thai operates 74x's, and they seem not to be banned...?

Whats the use of this ban then ?? Just to have a far away airline on a EU blacklist ??

May someone enlighten me pls.

answer=42
8th Apr 2009, 15:45
It's not entirely true to say that no airline on the list has ever flown to the EU. I believe that Angola's TAAG and Indonesia's Garuda used to fly to Europe. TAAG certainly used to be a full member of Sky Team. You can see the full EU banned list here:
Transport - Air Transport (http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/list_en.htm)

Secondly, the main purpose of the ban is to inform EU citizens who travel around the world which airlines they may choose to avoid. Personally, I have flown with at least three airlines on the list and will not do so again.

In travelling around the world, I also find useful the list of airlines that have undergone the IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) registry. You can see this positive list here:
Registry (http://www.iata.org/ps/certification/iosa/registry.htm)

kms901
8th Apr 2009, 16:02
Obviously the EU authorites can only control what happens within their borders. It's good that they ban these people from their jurisdiction.

FrequentSLF
8th Apr 2009, 16:33
I believe that Angola's TAAG and Indonesia's Garuda used to fly to Europe

The Indonesian President cancelled a trip to Europe because Garuda was on the black list, if I recall well.

Anyway I believe that is easier to ban now 1-2 go flying to Europe, otherwise they might setup the route and might be banned after a few months of service...(at high risks). Question is, why Orient Thai was not banned.

AircraftOperations
8th Apr 2009, 18:46
If there was no ban for these airlines who don't currently operate to Europe (such as One-Two-Go), then there would be nothing stopping them operating to Europe on any special one-off flights; round the world charters; cargo charters (e.g. Atma & Motor Sich) or even for one of those aircraft to be sub-chartered for work by an EU based airline.
At least this way, you can be absolutely sure of no European operations.

BUSHJEPPY
9th Apr 2009, 05:59
The previous two threads on that unsafe airline have been closed. But finally, we have these guys banned for a good reason:

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Benin joins EU aviation blacklist (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7990561.stm)

conradmueller
9th Apr 2009, 16:10
There is one reason for also banning Airlines not currently to the EU.
After being put on the Blacklist it is illegal for European Tour operators to book passengers on Airlines, which are on the Blacklist.
So f. e. no German Tour Operator can have tours with flights within Indonesia, because all are on the list.

bertiecollins
15th Apr 2009, 23:12
The fact that One2Go have been blacklisted by the European Commission is neither pointless or insignificant to the families who lost loved ones on the One2Go flight from Bangkok to Phuket in September 2007. The British and French families concerned have worked hard to get this ban in place and hopefully with the help of the press One2Go will feel the effect of this ban.