PDA

View Full Version : KLM / SCHIPHOL still haven't got their act right!

Avman
7th Apr 2009, 15:35
A number of years ago I posted that 75% of the time I connected through AMS eastbound from the USA with KLM my suitcase went astray at AMS. I always got it back, one or two days later. For that reason I began to avoid such connections through AMS if at all possible. Several years later I thought I'd try my luck again on the grounds that things might be better now.This week I flew ATL-AMS-DUS with two other family members and all three of our suitcases didn't make the connecting flight to DUS, despite 1:45 hours in AMS! We got our bags 2.5days later. Oh, and this was in Business Class with PRIORITY tags (ha-ha). All in all I quite like KLM and Schiphol, but boy do I wish they could improve with bag connections. Anyone else with similar problems, or am I just jinxed at AMS?

radeng
7th Apr 2009, 16:34
From what I've heard, having a connecting flight through AMS (or CDG) with less than 4 or 5 hours is likely to lead to baggage loss. Leastways, I've known a lot of people who have had just that experience.

Connecting through CDG to a BA flight seems to be guaranteed to miss, although starting at CDG on BA and connecting to a BA flight is fine.

L'aviateur
7th Apr 2009, 21:33
Flown through Schiphol hundreds of times, only once has my bag been lost and that was found in the US. In fact the only times i've lost my bags on any airline seems to be have been international connections via the US.

Personally find Schiphol the easiest and best hub in Europe.

fyrefli
7th Apr 2009, 22:38
It's generally a great airport but I've never connected through it. A friend of mine transitted through it to Oslo a few times last year and had to have his bags forwarded twice - not good; mind you, they did actually deliver them all the way to his log cabin in the wilderness once!

Bushfiva
8th Apr 2009, 02:16
Flying AMS-KIX some time back on, I think, a Combi, while exiting the plane I overheard one person mentioning to another that "the Captain never announced that most of their baggage isn't on the flight". Followed by hours of hanging around in baggage reclaim while the overworked agents tried to take everyone's details, leaving the non-Japanese till last because they assumed they'd not be able to communicate with them. Certainly affected how I chose future flights.