PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice

Sachi
7th Apr 2009, 01:53
Firstly I just want to say for the most part, everyone on here has been really helpful an this site is very informative. Despite being a newbie and not having that much to say, I have learnt alot from this forum.

So I've just started my training, currently acquiring my private on a course that could take me through to a CPL. I'm a multi national citizen (Australian and USA) and was wondering where to complete my flight training, the United States or Australia.

Has anyone here lived and worked in both countries? Or if you had the option, which country would you choose?

I think both countries have their good and bad points and I'm not biased to either country, I'd be quite happy living in either.

A bit more about myself, I'm 23 and single, currently based in Australia. Ideally I'd like to become an airline pilot but I'm not fixed on a particular airline or part of the world. I'd like to get my commercial licence and work some low time jobs like most people do to get a start. I used to be a teacher, so when I have a bit more cash, I'd also like to get my instructor ratings aswell and give that a go.

I plan to pay for most or all of flight training, to minimize loans when I'm in low income flying jobs. I would be looking to make the move if need be, in about 12-18 months, just so I have some more time to save some more money. Ofcouse I'm not putting all my eggs in the one basket, I'm also applying for the cadet programs that are big topics on this forum, as well as applying for Air Force options.

Thanks for your assistance, I look forward to your responses.

DeltaT
7th Apr 2009, 09:02
There is and always will be a greater choice of pilot jobs in the USA.
They are still hiring at the lower levels up to Turboprops even now, just look at what is still being advertised there, compared to Australia.
If you have the right of abode, go USA!

Weigh it up carefully though, if it a later point you want to come back to Australia, converted off the back of the USA licence, its not that highly regarded from what I gather.

Sachi
8th Apr 2009, 00:29
Thank you very much for your response.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Oppurtunities in the states just seem alot more abundant than Australia.
Hopefully in the next 12 - 18 months the AU dollar becomes stronger against the US dollar so my training will cost less!
Thanks again for your insight.
Sachi

Top_Cat
8th Apr 2009, 00:43
DeltaT: Mate, any insights as to why that is the case?

Mr. Hat
8th Apr 2009, 01:00
Sachi, have you considered a JAR licence?

The reason i say this is that this is the hardest licence to convert to. Its borderline impossible to get any credit ect. Converting a JAR to Aus or FAR is alot easier. Lets just say that if I had my time over I spend the money and do a JAR.

Worth thinking about.

rodmiller
8th Apr 2009, 09:14
whats a JAR licenxe?

Mr. Hat
8th Apr 2009, 13:22
European licence. Whilst you may not have a euro passport now who knows what the future holds. One thing is for sure doing the JAR first and converting it is the cheapest way to cover every base. I've looked into converting to the JAR and have concluded that I'm not willing to fork out for the whole caper from scratch all over again ect ect ect. It was a mistake that i made a long time ago and now i have to live with it.

Had i done it the other way around it would have been a cpl theroy anda few flights to convert to the aussie licence.

glenb
8th Apr 2009, 14:17
Well written post mate. I mean that sincerely. If you have two passports, I am assuming that you have lived in both the US, and Australia. Your location stated is Japan. So I can assume you have time there as well. You have no doubt a lot of experiences already, and got a lot of stories to tell. But choose the country you have spent the shorter period of your life. Chase the adventure and all those new experiences in your life, and combine it with flying. Thats the right decision. Either country has equal potential to give you good flight training. The price difference is inconsequential in the overall scheme of things. Good luck and safe flying down either path.

Sachi
8th Apr 2009, 15:01
glenB: Thank you for your kind words, it's very nice to receive positive feedback on forums! I completly understand what you're saying and I think it would be a great life experience for me to follow aviation in the states.
I've lived in both Japan and Australia but only been to the states on holidays. I'm lucky enough to have a Japanese parent as well, although I had to renounce my Japanese citizenship to continue to hold the other ones.