View Full Version : Pizza toppings.

gingernut
7th Apr 2009, 00:19
Got cousin and family coming over tomorrow, (2nd chance for Max to get to work with her dog), got all the ingredients for the dough , but imagination limited to anchovies & tuna, and, salami and (?? onions).

Any help, must appreciated.

(Got the cheese, garlic, tomato, herbs and stufff)

Dea Certe
7th Apr 2009, 00:22
Italian sweet sausage is very nice. I know I'm gonna get slammed for this but pineapple with the sausage is tasty and different.

Dea

Buster Hyman
7th Apr 2009, 00:30
Crack an egg on one for the true Aussie style!:ok:

Also, try putting some cinnamon, grapes and/or bananas for dessert....mmmmm...Mamma Mia!

gingernut
7th Apr 2009, 00:43
yum yum, any room for chillies?

BlueDiamond
7th Apr 2009, 00:49
Chopped ham plus mushrooms, prawns, onion etc. are always good additions to a pizza.

Anyone adding pineapple to a perfectly good pizza should be boiled in oil.

birrddog
7th Apr 2009, 01:06
Thin Pizza crust, pesto, feta cheese and flaked lamb shank.

Maybe some sliced Calamata olives.

Yum!

smudgiebottom
7th Apr 2009, 01:10
Birddog has it right.
Marinate the lamb tonight first, add some finely sliced onion ring halves, and then a swirl of tzatziki (sp.) sauce and oregano and mmmmmm....:8

con-pilot
7th Apr 2009, 01:11
Chicken in small pieces or sliced (white meat only), sliced mushrooms, sliced jalapeños peppers, sliced black and green olives, good white cheese of your choice and thin sliced tomatoes.

BombayDuck
7th Apr 2009, 01:55
small pieces of chicken marinated in coriander/parsley sauce and then grilled. trust me. Also, sun-dried tomato.

Diesel Fitter
7th Apr 2009, 02:18
Chicken in small pieces or sliced (white meat only), sliced mushrooms, sliced jalapeños peppers, sliced black and green olives, good white cheese of your choice and thin sliced tomatoes.

Now we're cooking Con - but bin the chicken and replace with plenty of thinly sliced prosciutto.

For your white cheese - bocconcini, buffalo mozzarella or preferably a fresh goats cheese liberally sprinkled with fresh basil leaves and thin strips of red pepper

Anchovies optional. Enjoy! :ok:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/466480829_6539e89626.jpg?v=0

Rollingthunder
7th Apr 2009, 02:21
After many years I have concluded that simple is best.

Classic Margherita Pizza

Fresh basil: 1 bunch
Fresh mozzarella cheese (buffalo is good): 200-250 grams
Tomato: 2 medium, thinly sliced (or enough to cover the whole pizza)
Tomato Sauce: 1 cup, or enough to cover the pizza dough (recipe here)
Salt and pepper

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/chugroberts/AGINY/BurkeBarCafe_pizza.jpg

Peter Fanelli
7th Apr 2009, 02:40
Vegemite....

25 seconds
15 seconds
sigh
5 seconds

Tinstaafl
7th Apr 2009, 02:41
I make my own dough, own sauce and generally use fresh ingredients for the toppings. Never been entirely happy with my dough: I want a recipe for dough that will replicate the thin & crispy dough used by Pizza Hut in Australia.

For the sauce I simmer tomato puree (or lots of sun dried tomatoes zapped in water in the microwave then blitzed with a hand blender), red wine, garlic, oregano, basil, bay leaf & pepper in water. I usually make a fair amount & freeze the extra for another time.

I like mozzarella and stick to that for the cheese topping. Other items include minced beef, red onion, mushrooms, pineapple and roast capsicum (slabs of capsicum under the grill until the skin is black, cool in a plastic bag then peel). Chiffenade fresh basil leaves & sprinkle once cooked

con-pilot
7th Apr 2009, 02:41
Now we're cooking Con - but bin the chicken and replace with plenty of thinly sliced prosciutto.

How about both. :D:D:D

Okay, a bit of thread drift here.

One of my most requested dishes is very large prawns, wrapped in thin slices of prosciutto ham, now the prosciutto ham should not cover the prawn, but wrap the prawn like a wide string. Sprinkle with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese then broiled until done, served on top of Fettuccine Alfredo.

I calls it, 'Heart attack on the plate'. ;)

Like This - Do That
7th Apr 2009, 03:09
I'm with Rollingthunder. Less IS more.

The only additions I would consider are anchovies and very very good black olives.

Blue Diamond's on the money. The cretin who first put pineapple on a pizza should have been denied good food for the rest of his days. Or strangled at birth. Or both.

Rollingthunder
7th Apr 2009, 03:15
Damn, I had a girlfriend who lived in West Pennant Hills, well two actually. The first went on to make horrible movies and some tv shows.

birrddog
7th Apr 2009, 03:26
Ingredients
Pizza Doe
Tomato Puree
Ricotta Cheese
Brussels Sprouts Sliced
Prosciutto
Onions finely sliced
Peppers finely sliced - no seeds (your choice, but a Chili variety would work best)

Preparation
1. Roll out Pizza base, keeping it thick.
2. Roll over Pizza base edges and stuff with the Cheese to form a "cheese laden ring" around the edge.
3. Spread the Tomato puree generously around the base, cover in additional Ricotta cheese.
4. Place generous helpings of Brussels Sprouts (the more the better) on the base
5. Place onion slices, Prosciutto and sliced chillies over Brussels Sprouts
6. Bake until done (should be ~25 minutes)

Optional
Add Olives or anchovies to taste.

Disclaimer
I have no idea what this would taste like as I just invented it especially for c-p.

birrddog
7th Apr 2009, 03:30
Blue Diamond's on the money. The cretin who first put pineapple on a pizza should have been denied good food for the rest of his days. Or strangled at birth. Or both.

You never enjoyed a good Hawaiian Pizza? :E

Rollingthunder
7th Apr 2009, 03:37
No fruit on pizza!. Unless you count tomatoes as fruit.:yuk:

Buster Hyman
7th Apr 2009, 03:55
Plenty of fruits eating Pizza though....

Seriously, you gotta try the dessert pizza...works like an aphrodeezee...aphrodizzy...affroditsy....sex drug!

HarleyD
7th Apr 2009, 03:56
Con Pilot: I was reading down this thread with anticipation, looking for your contribution(s) and have not been disappointed.

LT DT - Anchovies aaaaarrrrh, nasty little flavour ruining morsels that usually ruin the very last bite of what was an excellent pizza, even if you ordered NO FCUKING AN-BLOODY-CHOVIES! Do they grow on there themselves??

Fruit can work on novelty pizza but is certainly not traditional, local pizza place used to do a banana and onion pizza as a desert, just in case you still had bloodflow through your cholesterol choked arteries. It had Tommy paste, bacon, sliced banana and sliced onion rings topped with Mozzarella, sounds cr@<hidden> whan written like that but tasted OK after a few bottles of local rough red. Even the local rough red tasted OK after a few bottles of local rough red.

HD

HarleyD
7th Apr 2009, 03:59
Isn't this so much nicer than discussing/argueing/brawling over the cultural differences that have resulted in different gun control laws in different continents??

It makes me want to go home and cook something that my nearest and dearest can't eat due to her gestational diabetes, ha, not shoot her due to her gestational mood swings.

HD

Krystal n chips
7th Apr 2009, 04:02
Ahem,

One doesn't wish to be churlish here, but ALL of you will, I assume, be complying with the below for your guests in future ?........:p:E

BBC NEWS | Health | Menus to display calorie counts (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7981987.stm)

Gordy
7th Apr 2009, 04:19
Sorry--another drift thread here....

Con-Pilot:
Okay, a bit of thread drift here.

One of my most requested dishes is

Heard a rumor that you cook a mean deep fried turkey... Here in "Missery", we have two turkeys ready to deep fry this weekend. (We cook at the base pretty much every other day--would be willing to share recipes...)

Would love to hear your secrets for the perfect deep fried turkey, and you would be welcome to join us Sunday--fires permitting?

Thanx in advance...
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/Rolla%2009/MarkTwainHelitacklogosmall.jpg

CityofFlight
7th Apr 2009, 04:23
Every cheese option possible, then jalapenos! (been so long since I had pizza, but I was a cheese whore back then) :} :ok:

Little Blue
7th Apr 2009, 04:40
Hey, jalapenos are a must. Followed by copious amounts of tabasco sauce being chucked over the pizza.
Eat, stand back and explode !!!
The only way to finish the night.

:yuk:

CityofFlight
7th Apr 2009, 05:12
Don't forget vast quantities of beer! :ok:

Gordy
7th Apr 2009, 05:24
CoF--

Don't forget vast quantities of beer!

Because t'would be rude not to.. :ok:

kiwi chick
7th Apr 2009, 06:56
Oh, please - you can NOT be serious about the Brussel Sprouts?????

:{

If I was there I'd slap you.

Scumbag O'Riley
7th Apr 2009, 06:58
Rollingthunder is spot on, Margherita is the way to go. You need to use the best possible ingredients though, buffalo mozzarella is a must and preferably Mozzarella di Bufala Campana. Tomato fresh from garden. Biggest problem cooking at home is getting the oven hot enough.

Best pizza in the world is from Naples, by a long way. You think you are going to get mugged getting to the pizza joints but worth it when you get there. Almost worth making a special trip to the place, but beter idea to stop off on way to/from the Amalfi Coast.

Firestorm
7th Apr 2009, 07:12
Sausages, bacon, black pudding, and an egg: hey presto a breakfast pizza! If you have it after breakfast time it becomes and all day breakfast pizza! Another nice one is smoked salmon, rocket, and boursin cheese.

About the only thing that I thing should never go on a pizza is pineapple (or other fruit).

I always think that pizza shouldn't be taken too seriously: you have to eat it with your fingers, and some of invariably ends up on your lap or your shirt, and the grease makes it hard to hold onto to your bottle of beer. You can't take it seriously! It's fun social food.

MagnusP
7th Apr 2009, 07:58
Very thin, very crispy, baked on a proper pizza stone if you don't have a full-on pizza oven.

Thin layer of tomato sauce (chilli optional), a few slices of buffalo mozarella, and sprinkle with basil leaves to wilt *after* the pizza is out of the oven. Drizzle of olive oil, serve. If you want to get all poncey, then stick some prosciutto crudo on before you cook it.

Green salad, s&p, olive oil, balsamic vinegar.

Serve with glasses of very cold Peroni - not the Nastro Azzuro poseurs' one, the ordinary red label.

Welcome to pizza heaven.

vonbag
7th Apr 2009, 08:09
Despite all of the proposed recipes are equally stimulating my appetite (bit early for pizza this a.m., though),
I, too, opt for the simplest: crustum Etruscum, something like a Marinara,
with only tomatoes, garlick (at ones' will) and eventually red hot chily peppers (not those singing, I am not an antropophagus :} ).
For me it has to be thin and mildly crunchy (thus a crust) -- but not burnt!
When I do the pizza at home, for me and my half and/or for guests,
I only bake the basics (pizza bottom + tomatoes) and serve on the table all the different ingredients, such as olive oil, squeezed garlick, red peppers powder, tuna fish from the can, hot (just baken) boletus mushrooms (when I have it), truffles (when I have it), thinly sliced mozzarella, thin slices of salami...eventually to be added upon the guests' choice.
I always advise not to bake the salami nor the ham (my wife doesn't like this last).
The tomatoes have enough thermal capacity to warm up the ingredients that are added later. Just my way of doing it.
Good luck!

Rollingthunder
7th Apr 2009, 08:56
And then there's the deep dish, double pepperoni, double sausage, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, capicolli, ground beef, olives, double cheese monster where you need two beers for each bite. And possibly a hyperbaric chamber for recovery.

Gainesy
7th Apr 2009, 09:12
Hmm, I was wondering what to have for lunch until I fell in here. Beef sandwich it is then.

kiwi chick
7th Apr 2009, 11:12
Oh, Rolling, that was like FOREPLAY!!!

Man that sounds good :ok: :D

And what Firestorm said.

candoo
7th Apr 2009, 11:40
In the Candoo household we usually put on so many toppings it turns out as a plate of melted cheese with lots of floaty things on a bed of goo steeped dough.

In some cases too much is just too much.

Then we enter the world of why do my omelettes always turn out like quiche?

Sockendon1
7th Apr 2009, 11:44
Firstly - MUST be a thin base..no nasty claggy greasy deep pan.. Eeugh! :yuk:

Then add chicken, pepadew peppers, olives and mushrooms, and a few red onions..Hmmmmm!

Compliment with a glass or 3 of a good, rounded red

Heaven in every bite..

Rossian
7th Apr 2009, 11:49
I'm with Scumbag on this one.

I'm slightly baffled by the idea that if A is nice and B is nice and C<D<E<F< are all nice then if you put them all on the same pizza that it's four times nicer than just A and B. It's not being foodie snobby to see that some things just DON'T go well together.

Keeping it simple doesn't mean it has to be crude.

I ate my first pizza in Naples at the age of 42, and it was a revelation. I started with a Margharita and worked my way through all the combinations. The water buffalos that produced the mozzarella, grazed at the bottom of my garden. Good, fresh ingredients make an unbeatable product.

Oh, and in Naples it was always "pizzabirra" no wine.
The Ancient Mariner

candoo
7th Apr 2009, 11:53
Rossian

First pizza at aged 42????

jeez have you learnt how to stand up and pee yet.

Rossian
7th Apr 2009, 12:28
Candoo
Check my age - I'm now trying to remember how to do both.

In my youth, in the north of Scotland, there were occasional Italian run chippies that did deep fried pizzas. YEEEUUGHH! you will cry, and, yes, they looked disgusting. Amazed to find in deepest Spacca Napoli, in 1983, that that's how they did them there. And, yes, they still looked so disgusting I never got round to tasting them.

The wide spread popularity of pizza is a RELATIVELY recent arrival in UK (someone will be along dreckly with the exact date to keep me right). So, no, I didn't eat pizza until I went to live in Napoli for three wonderful years in 1983.

The Ancient Mariner

S'land
7th Apr 2009, 12:31
You never enjoyed a good Hawaiian Pizza?

NO, there is no such thing as a good Hawaiian Pizza. Fruit, with the exception of tomatoes, is an abomination on pizza. Hanging the first moron to put fruit on a pizza would have been too good for them. Not that I have any strong opinions on this subject.

Rossian
7th Apr 2009, 12:43
Some foods are universal with only slight local variations. Peasant food mainly.
The now much vaunted polenta is just cornmeal porridge - cheap filling stodge at bottom.

Bruschetta, now an expensive starter, was originally a way to use stale bread (waste not want not) and is at bottom grilled bread rubbed with a garlic clove and olive oil poured over it. No anchovies or ham or tomatoes or the assortment of crud now offered up.

Minestrone is a soup of seasonal veg thickened with some pasta and flavoured with the left over crust of Parmesan cheese; "waste not want not" AND "stodge" all in one plate. Back in the '40s my mother used to make a similar soup thickened with oatmeal. Good fare for a field worker whether in Italy or Scotland.

We'll get to the Far East another day.

The Ancient Mariner

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Apr 2009, 13:16
What the Mariner said. Idiot Sandton housewives paying top dollar for polenta when they can get a sack of sadza for next to nothing just butters my biscuit.:}

Pizza: Thin crust. Tomato sauce made from a can of tomato puree, a handful of oregano, a fistful of sun dried tomatoes, shake of salt and a good shake of white pepper. Blitz for a few seconds with a hand held liquidiser and use as needed. Topping should be simple: prosciutto, anchovies, olives, capers and cheese. Chopped chili and garlic in olive oil served on the side to be used as desired. Don't forget to give it a sprinkling of salt before it goes into a wood burning oven. (Electric is kind of OK but it definitely loses something.)

Rollingthunder
7th Apr 2009, 13:18
And then there's Calzone (that's cal ZONE, not cal-Zonee). Folded pizza, quite yummy. And Cannoli.

oxenos
7th Apr 2009, 15:10
Chorizo goes well. ( Yes I know it's Spanish ) And you definitely need a pizza stone.

birrddog
7th Apr 2009, 16:51
SRT, no biltong and cheese pizza for you? :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Apr 2009, 17:10
Biltong, boerewors, jalapeno and feta.

Drool......:}

AcroChik
7th Apr 2009, 17:32
Early in the thread, someone requested a recipe for pizza dough.

My French in-laws own seven restaurants, two of them specialty pizza emporiums in which the pies are made to order by hand and fired in wood-burning ovens. These places are in and around the village of Menton, along France's Côte d’Azur, hard by the Italian border.

Here is how I have adapted their pizza dough recipe for home use.

For the dough:

1 half (thus, 1 ounce) cake of live yeast. Using dehydrated yeast results in an inferior product as that yeast has lower and shorter-lived metabolic activity.

3.5 cups of bread flour (do not use cake flour)

1 teaspoon salt (for chemistry, not flavor)

2 tablespoons of elite grade olive oil (quality makes a difference here)

Note: For a slightly smokey flavor and increased incidence of heart failure, olive oil can be replaced by liquid bacon fat in the dough.

Step 1:

Pour 1/2 cup warm water into a small bowl. Stir in the live yeast and let stand until fully dissolved and solution becomes creamy. About 20 minutes.

Step 2:

In a large bowl, combine the bread flour (do not sift the flour!) and salt. Mix well by hand. Then make a "well" in the center of the flour and pour the yeast mixture into it. Add the olive oil (or liquid bacon fat) to the well. Stir with a fork, incorporating liquid little by little, until a ball of dough forms.

Note: I strongly advise against using a mechanical mixer with a dough paddle for this process, the outcome is clearly inferior.

Step 3:

Cover bowl with dough ball in it tightly with plastic wrap, and put this into the refrigerator so that the dough ferments and rises slowly overnight.

Note: Remove pizza dough from refrigerator the next morning and allow to reach room temperature (about four hours).

Step 4:

Turn semi-risen, room-temperature dough out onto a floured surface. If it seems dry and hard, moisten your fingertips and knead in additional water a few drops (literally) at a time. If it seems sticky and wet, knead in additional bread flour 1/2 teaspoon at a time.

Step 5:

Knead dough gently by hand until it becomes smooth and elastic yet does not stick to either the work surface or your fingers. This is an obvious transitional moment in working the dough. Stop kneading at this point.

Step 6:

Shape the dough into a single smooth ball, dust with flour, place in a large clean bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rest in a warm, dark place for two hours. The volume of dough will increase to a bit over double.

Step 7:

Turn fully risen dough out onto a floured work surface and quarter with a baker's knife. Each quarter will roll out to a 13" - 14" thin crust.

Other notes:

Pizza must be baked at the highest possible temperature for the shortest possible time. 550F should be considered the minimum acceptable temperature.

Purchase a non-glazed pizza stone or use terra cotta tiles to line your oven. Non-glazed pizza stones wick dough moisture, thus creating a crisper pie.

Home ovens are rubbish, and their thermostats are liars (yes, even very expensive "professional" ones). Preheat your oven for a full hour to the highest possible temperature before putting in your pie.

Everyone knows heat rises, thus, you want your pizza to be at the bottom of the oven close to the heat source, away from thermal turbulence. The decks of professional pizza ovens are immediately above the heat source.

ThreadBaron
7th Apr 2009, 17:56
Marble or stone for the larger, more upmarket, and setts, or even concrete or asphalt, for the lesser.

Oh! Pizza toppings.:hmm:

Widger
7th Apr 2009, 19:25
Margherita base with smoked salmon and creme freish(Sp?) on top. Had one at Harrods once with a glass of bubbly...bloomin lovely. Made one for a friend's wife, (a difficult veggie) and I am now best chef in NATO!