PDA

View Full Version : V Force reunion 2010

Tankertrashnav
6th Apr 2009, 22:22
I've already mentioned this on another thread but I hope you all won't mind me using the forum to advertise the forthcoming V - Force reunion proposed to be held at Newark Air Museum in early summer 2010. The last one in 2004 was generally agreed to have been a great success, this time we want to attract as many as we can, particularly those who were unable to attend last time, or heard about it too late.

The reunion is intended for all who served on any V-Force squadron or OCU, aircrew and groundcrew, LACs to ACM's (actually there is one MRAF!), in whatever role To show an interest and get on the email list, just email me on [email protected] and thereafter you will be updated as the plans progress.

Last time we had the Saturday and Sunday at the museum, where there is plenty to look at once you have got fed up chewing the fat with former colleagues, and given up trying to work out who that fat old git with a beard is (it may be me). We had a function on the Saturday evening and something similar is planned for this time. We also had flypasts by the BBMF Lancaster and The Red Arrows, all entirely unofficial and "fitted in" with other events. We did ask MOD for one Tornado from 617 to fly past to honour the V Force, but that was regarded as an unreasonable request, so the beancounters prevailed and vetoed it on the grounds of cost! This time wouldnt it be great if the tin triangle was still flying and paid us a visit?

If you have any constructive comments about what you'd like to see, particularly if you came to the last one, post them on here - it will all serve to keep the thread visible and spread the word as widely as possible. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Meanwhile here's a link to a report on the last one for those who would like to take a look: V-Force Reunion 2004 (http://www.militarycollectables.co.uk/reunion/index.htm)

Tankertrashnav
8th Apr 2009, 20:54
So far so disappointing - 345 viewings have resulted in just 5 emails! Just to be clear, sending me a request to go on the mailing list doesnt mean you are signing up for the reunion, just that you'd like to be kept informed. You can make your mind up whether or not you want to attend much nearer the time. One thing though, I had a helpful communication from BBMF who said they would see what they could do about making an appearance on the day. Obviously they can't make promises, but it's a nice gesture anyway. So if you flew on or serviced Valiants, Victors or Vulcans, in any role at any time, I'd like to hear from you.

Blacksheep
8th Apr 2009, 22:31
It may be pedantic, but in the nuclear glory days, most of we V Force ground crew never served on squadrons or OCUs; we worked on centralised servicing. On one occasion 44 Sqn, having won the annual bombing competition, actually sent an invitation for half a dozen chaps from Line Servicing to venture down to the crew room to join in their festivities, but that was the limit of my own squadron involvement. Perhaps you'd like to invite some of us centralised ground crew once again? Or not as the case may be.

Wader2
9th Apr 2009, 12:41
It may be pedantic, but in the nuclear glory days, most of we V Force ground crew never served on squadrons or OCUs; we worked on centralised servicing. On one occasion 44 Sqn, having won the annual bombing competition, actually sent an invitation for half a dozen chaps from Line Servicing to venture down to the crew room to join in their festivities, but that was the limit of my own squadron involvement. Perhaps you'd like to invite some of us centralised ground crew once again? Or not as the case may be.

Actually, in terms of dates if not numbers, I would suggest that there was a longer period with sqn eng than centralised.

I am assuming that sqn servicing was the order of the day from the Valiant force until 1964, anout 7-9 years, whereas centralised servicing, when the V-force held the deterent was only 1964-68.

On 12 Sqn we had 2 flt cdrs in Jun 1964 but one was redundant as we had just lost our engineering flt. Of course 2 months later they were back as we deployed on ops :)

Tankertrashnav
9th Apr 2009, 12:57
No Blacksheep you are not being pedantic, you are right to point this out. Perhaps I should say the reunion is for anyone who flew or worked on these aircraft in any capacity. At the last reunion we had a guy turn up who had worked at Handley Page making Victor 1s, and he was clutching a piece of metal (cant remember what, exactly) bearing his signature, which he had installed in the aircraft when it was being built. He managed to find out when and where the a/c was being scrapped (St Athan presumably) and managed to retrieve the component as a souvenir. He was a civilian who had never actually served on the V Force as such, but he certainly had as much right to be there as I had. So centralised servicing guys are obviously as welcome as those who were actually on squadrons.

VictorPilot
25th Apr 2009, 12:03
Yes I am interested, you know me!! Cold War Jets Open Day Bruntingthorpe 3 May 2009 mentioned elsewhere. Bob

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2009, 22:01
Bob, of course I know you and you are on my list. Thanks for bumping this thread back up, and I will now shamelessly do it again. When you come to tot it up the number of guys who passed through the V Force in its almost 40 year existence (using the term to mean the whole time when any of the 3 V aircraft were operational) must run into 10's of thousands. Sadly many are no longer with us, but loads still are, and I think we have only managed to contact a small proportion of those guys. Keep the names coming please chaps, just send me an email or PM with your email address and I will get you on the address list for further info. Provisional dates are end of April 2010 but this is not yet hard and fast.

Tankertrashnav
26th May 2009, 15:04
I have been talking to Newark museum today and they confirm that there is now a definite date for this reunion, which will be the weekend Saturday/Sunday 24th/25th April 2010. I will be circulating this info to everyone who is on my address list,meanwhile if you missed this thread first time around have a read and if at all interested, send me a private message with your email address, or email me direct at my address shown above, and I will get you on the mailing list for updates.

Newark Museum will shortly be putting a dedicated page on their website for this reunion, once it is up and running I will send a link to all on my contact list.

From what I gather from recent threads (victor airborne, ejector seats on V aircraft etc) there are a lot of ex V Force guys on here,so please get in touch. You wont be committing yourself, just showing an interest.

Tankertrashnav
1st Jun 2009, 20:05
Further to the last posting, here is a link to the Newark Air Museum's website page about the reunion
http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/newsItem.php?id=47 (http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/newsItem.php?id=47)
If you bookmark this it will be regularly updated as further info comes in. I have already had good cooperation from some guys on here in the area of spreading the word among their own contacts and I'd like to repeat my request that anyone who has a personal contact who may be interested in the reunion to pass the word on. Thanks

Tankertrashnav
9th Jun 2009, 11:50
I am in the middle of compiling an email contact list with the intention of publicising this reunion as widely as possible. I am having trouble tracking down quite a few squadron associations, a lot of the info on the net is pretty out of date, and I am getting emails returned undelivered etc.

Here is the list of Valiant, Victor and Vulcan squadrons that I have compiled

7*, 9*, 12, 15, 35, 44, 49*, 50, 55, 57*, 83, 90, 100, 101, 134, 138, 139, 148, 199, 207, 214*, 543*, 617

Two things. Firstly, I have put an asterisk after the number of those squadron associations for which I have an email address. If anyone has a contact for those squadron associations which I havent already marked, could you let me know, either here in the forum or by PM. Secondly, if I have omitted any V Force squadrons from my list could you please let me know - open forum for that, dont spare my blushes!

ZH875
9th Jun 2009, 12:05
10 Sqn flew Victors 58-64
18 Sqn flew Valiants 57-64?
27 Sqn flew Vulcans 61-72 and 73 to 82

230 OCU
232 OCU

BEagle
9th Jun 2009, 12:14
I don't think that 134 Sqn was a V-force squadron? It was renumbered 131 Sqn in 1945 and disbanded at the end of that year, surely?

Archimedes
9th Jun 2009, 12:32
Using the RAF Squadron bible (aka Jeff Jefford's book on RAF squadrons):

Victor = 10, XV, 55, 57, 100, 139 . Also 214 and 543 re-equipped with Victor after Valiant grounding

Vulcan = IX, 12, 27, 35, 44, 50, 83, 101, 617

Valiant = 7, 18, 49, 90, 138, 148, 199, 207, 214 & 543

Plus 230 and 232 OCUs.

As BEagle suggests, 134 was long gone by the V-Force era; it was renumbered as 131, which was the 'shadow' identity of the Fighter Weapons School (Meteors) at Leconfield and the Driffield between 1956 and 1958, and then the 'shadow' for 229OCU (Hunter) for a few months in 1958, before it too was renumbered (as 145).

Tankertrashnav
9th Jun 2009, 16:18
Thanks for the help chaps. I already had 27* but somehow missed it off my list, but I have added 10 and 18. Not sure where I got 134 from - maybe it came to me in a dream - anyway, deleted that one. Dont forget everyone, if you are aware of squadron associations other than the ones I have marked * thus, please let me know.

radarnav
10th Jun 2009, 07:50
Hi

Ralph Devereux - [email protected]

Please send me the business. TYVM

VictorPilot
10th Jun 2009, 09:04
I have contacts for these two - will send on when I get home. Bob

Busta
10th Jun 2009, 12:30
Don't forget RFS

Lightning Mate
10th Jun 2009, 13:03
Wish I could come.

Best of luck and have a good one.

ian16th
10th Jun 2009, 16:01
TT.

The blinding obvious place to put an advert hasn't been mentioned, but gotta ask.

Have you put an ad in 'Air Mail' the RAFA magazine?

Tankertrashnav
10th Jun 2009, 22:18
Not yet Ian, but they are on our mailing list when we start pushing out the advertising seriously in a few weeks. They were certainly helpful last time in 2004. Certainly dont mind anyone stating the bleeding obvious as Basil Fawlty called it - it might well have been something we had overlooked.

Don't forget RFS

OK Busta, I give in. RFS?

SRAM
11th Jun 2009, 21:59
Hi TT,
Put me on the list too.

SRAM

Busta
11th Jun 2009, 22:26
Tankertrashnav,

RFS = Radar Flying Squadron, part of the OCU, Hastings and Vulcans. We got Navrads ready for the OCU course.

Nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

Tankertrashnav
11th Jun 2009, 23:07
Thanks for that - like the predecessor of the NBS course I did at Lindholme on the Hastings I assume. Anyway, RFS obviously welcome at reunion.

SRAM - could you send me PM so that I can get email address?

vulcan_queenofthesky
13th Jun 2009, 20:53
Hello , I am fairly well conected to the web site and gentlemen of the Vulcan Crew Chiefs Register. reading their guest book, I saw the reference to the 2010 V force reunion. There has been a question posted about further details and since i attended the 2004 reunion and the evening function , I could , possibly , help advertise , this event ? for your information the next reunion of the VCCR is in October this year near RAF Brize Norton. Guests of 101 Squadron . regards Doug

Tankertrashnav
13th Jun 2009, 22:55
Doug, Thanks very much for your offer of help in promoting this event. I am currently compiling an email list of Squadron Associations, RAFA, ACA etc and similar organisations who will shortly be receiving a request to publicise the reunion on their own websites, news sheets etc. If you send me a PM I can get your email off that and I will put you on the address list. This applies to anyone out there who is involved with an organisation associated with the V Force, however loosely, who may like to help by forwarding info for us. Thanks

VictorPilot
14th Jun 2009, 11:00
Contact [email protected]

Web: www.100squadronassociation.org.uk (http://www.100squadronassociation.org.uk)

55 Sqn details to follow....... Bob

VictorPilot
14th Jun 2009, 11:08
OOOOps ... looks like the system does not like e mail addresses!

Try with no spaces: rkellis at tiscali.co.uk for 100 sqn

and west563 at tiscali.co.uk for 55 Sqn

Both are the published secys

Bob

Tankertrashnav
14th Jun 2009, 14:37
Thanks Bob. I've had a word with the mods about this email address business - apparently its something to do with the people who run the site and not something that can be sorted easily - anyway got the address and have it noted. Thanks

Tankertrashnav
24th Jun 2009, 22:24
Pleased to say we now have a website dedicated to this reunion up and running. All interested should visit the site by clicking the link www.vforcereunion.co.uk (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk) . Please bookmark the site, as updates about the reunion will be posted on there from now on. No need to book as yet - we will let you know nearer the time, although if you are definite about coming there is no harm done if you book early.

Fareastdriver
25th Jun 2009, 08:19
Sorry to be pedantic but the silhouette of the Valiant on the Website is of a Valiant B2. You can tell by the undercarriage housings aft of the trailing edge. The B2 was a prototype only, never in service.

Tankertrashnav
25th Jun 2009, 08:26
Well I could say that we meant that we are also happy to welcome those who worked on the prototype Valiant B2 (which indeed we are) but I have to admit I hadn't noticed. Still, as the guy who set up the site is doing it on a "cost only" non-profit basis I dont think I'll be asking him to change it. Well spotted though.

Tankertrashnav
28th Jun 2009, 09:11
I hope some of you have had a chance to look at the reunion site. Please feel free to add a comment to the guestbook even if you aren't able to come to the reunion - I'm hoping it can serve as a mini Friends Reunited in putting old chums back in touch.

What I'd like now is some relevant material for a photos page we are setting up. There is no problem getting photos of the aircraft, but if you have anything in the way of crew pictures, especially with individuals named, that would be good. Also anything with people in, guys working on the flight line etc. Interesting aircraft shots too, particularly Valiants. Op Grapple would be good.

Your ownership of copyright will be respected and please acknowledge if you are submitting somebdy else's and get permission where possible.

Email direct to the website in jpg form using the link on the website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/) on the Gallery page please, not through PPrune. Thanks

Tankertrashnav
6th Sep 2009, 09:20
Just to let you know the reunion website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/) has just been updated with the latest info. Those of you who havent visited the site, have a look, and in particular check out the gallery - there have been some excellent pictures submitted, but we could still do with more.

VictorPilot
27th Sep 2009, 10:53
The Victor thread "Were you ever on Victors" now running... Bob

Tankertrashnav
6th Jan 2010, 08:19
Reunion website update

Just a heads up that I have just updated the website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/) with some info on signing-in tables for the day. Next week I should be doing a further update with details of how to book for the evening function, so if you are hoping to come to that it is important to check the site out and get your bookings in as soon as I ask for them. NB we are asking for one or two more volunteers to man tables on the day (details on the site). Also please check you are getting the updated version of the site (4 Jan 10) and not the old version (17 Sep 09).

dmussen
13th Jan 2010, 05:15
I'm not sure if I can find the fare but do keep me informed please.
I shall check out the website.
Cheers,

kiwibrit
13th Jan 2010, 07:59
I'm a little interested - but am concerned to see email addresses appearing 'raw' in the web site guest book - even in these days of reasonably effective spam filters, offering up a tempting target to spam bots seems unwise - and accordingly I am loathe to register .

Tankertrashnav
16th Jan 2010, 16:04
Just to let you know as indicated above I have now updated the site again V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/) , this time with details of how to book for the evening reception. If you want to go to this function, now's the time to act as last time we sold all 250 tickets and were turning people away.

Kiwibrit - No problem if you dont feel happy about registering, thats mainly just to give us an idea of expected numbers, so just turn up on the day (wish I lived as near!). Bookings for the reception do need to be made though, but as that is all by post there is no internet security implication. Hope to see you there!

Tankertrashnav
26th Jan 2010, 22:22
Just to let you all know, Newark Air Museum are working out a "ground plan" for the reunion, and they would like to hear asap from any individuals/organisations that would like table-space for the purpose of a display or advertising for their organisation. We're thinking here of squadron associations or maybe individuals who can put on a display of photos, models etc which would be of interest, or anything else along those lines. Contact details are now shown shown at the end of the home page on the website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/)

Tankertrashnav
29th Jan 2010, 08:25
Just heard from Bill Williams, Nav Leader of the BBMF that they are planning a flypast by the Dakota on the Saturday of the reunion at Newark. Unfortunately the Lancaster will not be flying at all that weekend, but it will be good to see the Dakota. Just to forestall any enquiries, the Vulcan will still be on the ground at that stage, so there is no chance of it making an appearance - a great shame, but unavoidable.

Tankertrashnav
7th Feb 2010, 20:03
Latest info about the reunion has just gone on the website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/) . Most importantly the reception is selling out fast, so act quickly if you want to come to that. Also I have just heard from NAM that they are offering a discount on the admission charge to those attending the reunion (print off the homepage of our website and produce it to get your discount). Rates will be shown on the next update. Bookings for the reunion itself are coming in steadily, so it looks like it should be a good weekend

Tankertrashnav
26th Feb 2010, 14:34
Good link here supplied by Howard Healey of Newark Air Museum with more details of the events over the weekend: Tribute to the V-Force 2010: key.Aero: The Homepage of Aviation (http://www.key.aero/view_event.asp?ID=413&thisSection=home)

papajuliet
8th Mar 2010, 13:35
Maybe it's already known of and, indeed, played at the reunions but if not try and get hold of a VHS - "Vulcan Squadron Delta 8-3".Very 1950's/60's commentary but lots of shots of Waddington and 83 sqd.There must be many ex-V-force who'll recognise themselves and colleagues.

Tankertrashnav
9th Mar 2010, 13:18
Thanks PJ - I'll pass that on to Newark to see if they can get hold of the tape.

TTN

Tankertrashnav
21st Mar 2010, 12:44
Just a final call that the last website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/) update has just been done, with a final reminder for buffet bookings (over 80% sold now). The reunion itself at NAM has had lots of interest, so should be very well attended. There is no limit on numbers for those who want to just come along in the daytime on either day (or both), so even if it's a last minute decision you will be very welcome. Looking forward to putting faces to a lot of PPruners at the reunion - see you there!

Pilotinmydreams
24th Mar 2010, 15:32
Slightly off topic but related to the V-Force... I went to RAF Cosford at the weekend for a great day out with my young Son. Fantastic display and thouroughly nice staff who sat my lad in the Jet Provost and showed him what all the controls do. The Cold War Hall where the Vulcan is displayed and looks amazing. I picked up a book Vulcan 607 which i'm working my way through. Just wanted to say what a bloody good read!

Will1593
27th Mar 2010, 18:14
Not sure if the film mentioned by PJ is still available on VHS but Amazon has it as part of this DVD compilation
Royal Air Force - The Unseen Films 1960-1961 [DVD] (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OFOSFE?ie=UTF8&tag=will1593-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B000OFOSFE)

Tankertrashnav
16th Apr 2010, 08:52
My final post on this thread. The website V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/) has just been updated for the last time. This final update gives details of the reception and signing in arrangements when you arrive at the site. At the risk of boring everyone to death, dont forget to bring a £1 coin with you for your badge - asking for change of a £20 note will not endear you to the guys on the tables! Looks like there will be a good turnout, so see you all there

Pontius Navigator
25th Apr 2010, 21:03
Wonderful Al, well done. When is the next one?

VIProds
26th Apr 2010, 10:00
Al, Don & Mike

Many thanks. A great weekend was had by all. I was stuck in the hanger for most of the time trying to sell Victor photographs to help the Reunion & Museum coffers, but got to talk to hundreds of interesting people, from a guy who was trained on the wartime H2SMK4A Navigation & Bombing System, like myself to a Handley Page Test Pilot. I was sat next to Bob Prothero in the Hanger, who was Captain on the Victor that took off at Bruntingthorpe, so had some great conversations about past experiences.

The next Reunion can't come fast enough, thanks again.

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2010, 11:27
Thanks guys, yes it was a great weekend - most enjoyable and great to catch up with old faces. I soon learned the technique was to squint at the nametag first, as some of those youthful faces of 30+ years ago had changed somewhat and werent always immediately recognisable.

PN - give us a chance to get over this one first! But I dont think we ought to wait 6 years this time - 2013 seems like a good bet. Thanks again for all who came - and sorry about those who couldnt make it - try harder next time!

NRU74
26th Apr 2010, 19:44
At the risk of this thread filling with several hundred 'thank yous' could I add a sincere thanks for all the work you chaps had put in to make it such an enjoyable day and evening event.Great stuff, good to see so many old mates, and I, certainly, look forward to the next one.

Tankertrashnav
4th May 2010, 11:48
If you have any good photos which you took at the reunion, we would be pleased to post them on the gallery on the website, V-Force Reunion (http://www.vforcereunion.co.uk/). We'd particularly like named group photos, individual tables etc. We dont really need any of the aircraft exhibits, they're covered on the museum's own website, but other than that please send them to John, the site administrator. His email address is on the website. Thanks.

TTN