PDA

View Full Version : A question for 99 Squadron.

Jackonicko
6th Apr 2009, 20:26
What date did you bods officially reform?

Google hasn't been my friend!

taxydual
6th Apr 2009, 20:34
Early 2002 according to this

Sqn Histories 96-100_P (http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn096-100.htm)

I'm pretty sure someone will come up with and exact date though.

Tiger_mate
6th Apr 2009, 20:40
MOD Website:

The first of 4 Boeing C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft, leased to meet the Royal Air Force's short term strategic airlifter requirement, arrived in May 2001. No. 99 Squadron was reformed earlier in the year to operate the aircraft in the strategic airlift role at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.

If you want specifics it may be protocol for a journalist to ask why he/she needs such information, in order that "A Sqn member is quoted as saying" does not follow. Suggest the CRO at BZN may the appropriate place to ask.

Seldomfitforpurpose
6th Apr 2009, 21:07
Crikey doodles, now this has to be a first, a journo looking for accurate and factual information :eek:

Jackonicko
6th Apr 2009, 21:19
A self-confessed journo is looking for a piece of information which cannot conceivably be secret, which cannot have any possible negative connotation, and which could not aid or comfort an enemy.

A piece of information that can't be sensitive or secret.

A piece of information that is routinely available for virtually every other flying unit in the air force, and which can only be unavailable because 99's formation (like the whole acquisition of C-17) was an outstanding example of rapid and streamlined procurement.

A simple date that I'd like to use, since at the moment I have a loose end. I have the dates of the government decisions and the orders, the delivery dates for every C-17, the date the squadron was declared operational, but a blurred "early 2002" (eg after the aircraft had been handed over to 99) or an equally blurred "2001" (before the first aircraft was handed over) as a formation date.

Tiger Mate, with respect you're being unnecessarily paranoid. I'm not going to quote a nameless source as saying "99 reformed on 1 April 2002" and even if I did - where's the harm, when the fact is so blooming innocuous.

And stupidly optimistic if you think anyone in the PR Chain will thank me for adding to their administrative burden by asking such a trivial question tomorrow, and then for chasing them to get the answer in anything approaching a reasonable timescale.

Flt Lt Mac,

You could conceivably be helpful, if Google gave you a precise date for reforming, standing up, or collecting the standard.

Flymee 2 Da Moon
6th Apr 2009, 21:51
Jacko,

I hope this helps. That being said, it didn't take much finding. Perhaps reading one's research is essential; tell your colleagues throughout the Beeb if you have any.

On 17 May 2001, the Squadron's first C-17 was handed over at a ceremony at Boeing's Long Beach plant in California. The remaining three aircraft were delivered at approximately monthly intervals, with the last one received on 24 August 2001.

The C-17 is a most versatile strategic transport aircraft and can deliver outsized loads (up to 169,000 lbs) into small austere airfields with runways as short as 4000 feet. No 99 Squadron's C-17s are the new 'Block 12' version of the airlifter; these aircraft are equipped with upgraded software and avionics, and have additional fuel tanks that extend the aircraft's 2500 nautical mile range by some 15%. The Squadron normally operates the aircraft with a crew of three, two pilots and one air-loadmaster.

C-17 on the ground at night Notable early missions for the Squadron included the delivery of helicopters into the Balkans, the recovery of Royal Navy destroyer engines from the Caribbean and the transport of Tornado F3 aircraft to and from the Falkland Islands. In addition, No 99 Squadron's C-17 aircraft, ground and aircrews proved themselves when providing strategic airlift support for Exercise SAIF SAREEA II in Oman. However, the effects of 11 September 2001 were to provide the Squadron with a significant challenge. No 99 Squadron was officially declared operational as a strategic airlift squadron on 1 January 2002, and within days the Squadron was tasked to fly re-supply missions into Afghanistan.

Quoted from
RAF Brize Norton - 99 Squadron (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/aboutus/99squadron.cfm)

pr00ne
6th Apr 2009, 21:55
Flymee 2 Da Moon,

Nope, still does not say when the Squadron reformed. Shall I tell all of those I know in the BBC that YOU don't know when 99 Sqn reformed?

Henry_Harris
6th Apr 2009, 21:58
Whilst we're on the subject, I'm heading over to BZN for a week or so during the autumn with my ATC Sqn. 1211 (Swadlincote, if anybody is interested) And I just wondered if anybody who had previously been to the base or knows anything about it could give me a bit of information about the base and what I might be doing?

Anything would be greatly appreciated,

CDT Harris

Jackonicko
6th Apr 2009, 22:20
Flymee 2 da Moon,

Had that, thanks, but it's not the date I was after.

A squadron will typically start to form (crews converting, occupying its accomodation, receiving aircraft) before it formally reforms and receives the standard. There will then be a delay as it works up before being declared operational.

Sometimes the process starts with picking up the standard from Cranwell (as 206 did recently) before an official, formal reforming.

Henry_Harris
6th Apr 2009, 22:22
:ugh: I am sorry Really Annoyed if I really annoyed you with my post, i must have misunderstood the nature of 99 sqn's role in Military Aviation Transport, and I should have known that somewhere like a 'rumour network' forum was the wrong place to come to for helpful information.

Deepest apologies and sincere regards... :rolleyes:

But on the other hand, should anybody have any useful information, please feel free to PM me :)

CDT Harris

Archimedes
6th Apr 2009, 22:36
There is a reference in the Oxford Mail archive to a 'ceremonial parade and flypast' taking place on 7 Feb 2002, which comes in a story of 15 Jan 02 about the sqn HQ building opening:

Local news for local people... (http://archive.oxfordmail.net/2002/1/15/47808.html)

Also, I'd have thought that the 2003 edition of the RAF Yearbook, if it had the usual 'what happened last year' section (as usual an appearance in said tome as the list of squadrons referring to 19 Sqn having a fish as a badge...) might have the specific date in it.

pr00ne
6th Apr 2009, 22:43
JL,

206 Squadron?????????

Jackonicko
6th Apr 2009, 22:53
Really Annoyed,

You are confused, and yes, I am a journo.

Well, ............ I can at least read.

I asked for the date that 99 reformed. The date that I wanted was the date that the squadron reformed.

Flyme 2 da Moon responded with the date that 99 was declared operational.

That date (the op declare date) wasn't the date that I wanted, (and I already had that date).

Archimedes link seems to give an answer - an unexpected answer, but an answer: "The reformation of the squadron will be celebrated on February 7 (2002) with a ceremonial parade and fly-past."

Proone,

The heavy aircraft test squadron at Boscombe (whatever they're called this week) are becoming 206 as we speak. The Octopus is back!

pr00ne
6th Apr 2009, 23:30
JN,

Really? Interesting, many thanks. I assume the Fast Jet mob and those strange Rotary types will be having squadron numbers then? As their equivalents did in the 20's I believe?

Metman
7th Apr 2009, 08:40
Henry Harris, you might want to check out this forum:

Air Cadet Central • Index page (http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/)

as they are much more likely to be able to answer your specific question, as there will have been tons of cadets who have been through Brize on summer or easter camps, and will be able to give you cadet-specific details

Bob Viking
7th Apr 2009, 09:00
You will go far my friend! Your reply was eloquently put and demonstrated a sound understanding of the written word. You'll notice that Really Annoyed hasn't bothered to reply yet!
Anyway, I'm feeling slightly more benevolent than Really Unhelpful so I shall offer a few suggestions.
I was a cadet in a past life so I can only really speak of what you MIGHT be doing.
As the RAF's principal air transport hub (there is also RAF Lyneham down the road where they fly the Hercules - you might expect a visit to there during the week) Brize Norton operates the C-17 (strategic airlifter - huge plane, quite new), the Tristar (air transport and air refueller - big plane, quite old) and the VC-10 (air transport and air refueller - still quite big, very old).
It is a very busy base and the biggest in the RAF (I believe it has something like 8000 people based there, could be wrong!). Almost everyone that flies out to Iraq and Afghanistan passes through here so you will see lots of people wearing desert fatigues.
You can expect lots of section visits and if my past visits to the base are anything to go by, it shouldn't be too hard for your officers to sort you out a flight in a tanker to watch some jets refuelling on the wing (if you wave at them they should wave back. I always did!).
Hope you have fun and don't isten to miserable old b@stards that get in your way!
BV:ok:

Henry_Harris
7th Apr 2009, 09:04
Thank you Bob Viking for both the information, and the compliments it was Really_Helpful

CDT Harris

Occasional Aviator
7th Apr 2009, 10:50
I think FJTS is entering into some sort of arrangement with 17(R) Sqn - don't know if this is how they will end up badged, but there seems to be a bit of OT&E v DT&E and 'what do TPs have to do, and what can OEU pilots do' debate going on (thought we'd sorted that about 5-10 years ago....)

Seriously though, have you tried the Air Historical Branch? They should have the official date at their fingertips.

120class
7th Apr 2009, 13:55
Now that the Test Squadrons and OEUs all report via the AWC Chief Test Pilot to the AWC it makes sense to properly combine their previously separate functions, hence the formation of 206 Sqn etc.

Now where to base these units is another matter of course. Front-line MOB or Boscombe Down?

Down'n'Dirty
8th Apr 2009, 11:16
Jacko,

If you want the date when first sqn personnel arrived at BZN then all previous answers are wrong :=. The date that you are looking for is 1st August 2000. I have PM'd you with relevant detail.

Jackonicko
8th Apr 2009, 11:23
Right!

Whatever the official date that 99 reformed (the date that I'm after), the squadron began life during August 2000, when the first personnel (including the SENGO and other key personnel) took up residence in surplus accomodation at the back of base hangar.

That's why when the first aircraft arrived in May '01, the squadron was able to start operations with a bang! The buggers logged 1,844 hours from May until the end of 2001! 140 per cent of the flying planned for the fully manned squadron.

That gives an early timeline as follows:

July 1988: The Strategic Defence Review identified a requirement for a strategic airlift aircraft capable of deploying the Joint Rapid Reaction Force, specifically including outsized loads such as helicopters and large military vehicles.

September 1988: The Short-Term Strategic Airlift (STSA) competition was launched.

5 August 1999: The STSA competition was halted, the MoD’s preferred C-17 solution being judged unaffordable. The Defence Procurement Agency (DPA) then initiated STSA Phase 2 to provide the capability the MOD sought, aiming to obtain four C-17 aircraft at an acceptable price as ‘Track 1’, with ‘Track 2’ (a fallback option, described by the Public Accounts Committee as a ‘stalking house’) consisting of an An-124 lease.

29 October 1999: Phase 2 proposals submitted. The C-17 bid breached the budgetary limit by 10% and was estimated to cost double to three times as much as the An-124 solution. In reality the differential was much higher.

May 2000: The Government announced that the C-17 bid had been accepted. This was a lease contract for seven years, covering the supply of four aircraft (3 + 1 "in use reserve") to be operated by RAF aircrews, with RAF First Line servicing and USAF second-line and depth maintenance. The aircraft were expected to remain in service until replaced by the Future Transport Aircraft (FTA, then expected to be the Airbus A400M) in 2007-08.

Under the terms of the lease the full capabilities of the C-17 were not available to the RAF, which was to be limited to using the aircraft as a strategic long-range transport, albeit with the ability to land on short runways. The C-17’s para-drop, airdrop, rough field, low-level and air to air refuelling capabilities would not be used. The UK committed to upgrading the C-17s in line with the USAF so that the USAF could adopt them if returned.

August 2000: The first personnel for the new C-17 squadron (then still un-numbered), including the Squadron SENGO and Warrant Officer arrived at Brize Norton, occupying surplus office space at the rear of Base Hangar. Engineers were recruited from across the RAF, and spares, tools and publications began to arrive.

September 2000: The training of squadron personnel, including aircrew and groundcrew, began at Altus and Charleston Air Force Bases.

November 2000: It was officially announced that No.99 Squadron would be reformed to operate the C-17 at RAF Brize Norton.

17 May 2001: The first C-17 was delivered to the RAF at Boeing's Long Beach facility.

23 May 2001: 
The RAF’s first Boeing C17 Globemaster III was flown to Brize Norton by a No. 99 Squadron crew, and the type was formally accepted into Royal Air Force service.

24 August 2001: The RAF's fourth C-17 was delivered, completing the fleet.

1 January 2002: No 99 Squadron was officially declared operational as a strategic airlift squadron.

Official formation date? 7 February 2002? Really????

TMJ
8th Apr 2009, 15:33
Now that the Test Squadrons and OEUs all report via the AWC Chief Test Pilot to the AWC it makes sense to properly combine their previously separate functions, hence the formation of 206 Sqn etc.

Shifty fix became the Air Command and Control Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (Air C2ISR) Operational Evaluation Unit last year, and the FJ and Wpns OEU is now 41(R) Sqn.

Could be the last?
8th Apr 2009, 20:32
If we get anymore C-17s/crews will another sqn be formed?

SaddamsLoveChild
10th Apr 2009, 12:32
CBTL, dont tell me you are thinking of deserting to the cushy life of hotels and more rates than salary per month:eek:?

Fresh mag on, rounds to auto, pull pin, roll in.......await large bang. ;)