PDA

View Full Version : getting job but 7 years contract?

indian eng
6th Apr 2009, 15:45
hi guys i am really confuse about that should i take job or reject ?pls help me i am having just one day to make decision on it .these r the details

i have been offered a job by an airline which operate only dornier 228 aircraft and they will send me on course and will pay all TR cost but they want me to sign 7 years contract.

i am really confuse because dorneir i dont think i will have any future when i leave the company because no where in world right now dornier is flying.this could be good offer if i see because i am just 21 and passed out my AME licence course 1 year back and offerd a job to be AME which is something that matters to me in this bad condition of aviation because from last 6 month i am sitting jobless at home?

quant
6th Apr 2009, 16:19
In my opinion take it!

clanger32
6th Apr 2009, 16:22
Ok, I'm still Frozen, so perhaps those who are more experienced will say different, but if you have a job offer in the current climate, PARTICULARLY one that will pay your TR....take it. Both hands. I'd also wrap your legs around it and handcuff yourself to it as well if you can.

Seven years is a LOOONG contract, but two things....if you stay for 7 years, you'll still only be 28, but with 7 years experience. Brilliant, brilliant position to be in....
Secondly, if you really want to, it's very, very hard for an employer to make a contract stick...they'd have to go to lengthy and complex legal procedures to do it, whihc they probably can't be arsed to do. As long as you make a decent show of it (I'd say >5 years) then they really won't be too bothered [if you walk out on the contract before 7 years].

RE: no-one else flying Dornier -really - who gives a monkeys! It's flying. It's what you've just haemorhaged cash to be able to do. And once you've unfrozen, you won't probably have to face paying for your next or subsequent TR either so you'll be able to move types relatively easily -AND be streets ahead of those that have had to pay. Lets' face it, if your first job was on a 737, would you really want to fly only that for the next forty years? i doubt it.

good for you, well done on getting a job in a REALLY difficult climate, but for gods sake don't let the opportunity go for some stupid thought that there's a BETTER job out there....there really isn't right now.....
my 2p worth.

kwokwinguk
6th Apr 2009, 16:55
Hi indian eng,

Have a look what the contract says and how much compensation you have to pay if you do break it. After that weigh all the possible options.

In my opinion I would take it because you will earn some money while flying. Nowadays, these opportunities are limited due to bad economy. The company you opt to work for might change or bring in more aircraft in the future, and it maybe modern ones too (possibly expansion, being taken over by a large airliner????). Sign up now, and let the future decides what happens in the future. We all don't know what happens in the future. If we do know, I'd rather buy a lottery ticket for saturday draw!

Kwok (David)
Hope it helps

20driver
6th Apr 2009, 17:20
I would pay a few bucks and get a lawyer to take a quick look at the contract.
It would not surprise me that the contract was unenforceable.
That said I would take the job, get multi turbine time at your age is a good deal.
20driver

bear11
6th Apr 2009, 18:04
eng, I presume you're talking about Jagson? You're a local, and you know their reputation (you can even search for them on the Asian forum here and see comments). You're also right about the Dornier type rating. So, if you were being asked to pay for the rating, or you are making any financial commitment (bond, bank guarantee, etc) to pay the rating cost to a bank or some other entity even if the company goes bust (always possible, especially with small operators), the answer is no. You really need to check the contract for anything sneaky before you sign.

If they give you the type rating free and clear, go for it. Even if you get a type rating and a few months work and pay and experience on the aircraft before it all falls apart, given your current situation and the current market, why not? I doubt you will be there for 7 years if you do sign, but you have to be prepared to live with that or incur some financial cost to get out and go elsewhere.

IRRenewal
6th Apr 2009, 19:31
Take the job, learn English, and in 7 years time you'll be in a perfect position to move on.

Good luck.

OneIn60rule
6th Apr 2009, 21:24
Than to sit wishing you had one.

You don't seem to wish to fly a Dornier to begin with however a lot of people started off on something of that size.

I suppose you'd like to jump onto an Airbus right now?
You could wait many years for that while not gaining hours.

The answer is obvious.

1/60

portsharbourflyer
6th Apr 2009, 22:38
I believe there may be a bit of a misunderstanding here, or maybe I have misread things but I think this poster is referring to an engineering position not a flying postion.

The oringal poster states he is an AME, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer , are you lot also aware that licensed engineers also need to be "type rated" on aircaft that they are working on.

Adios
9th Apr 2009, 22:41
First question I'd want an answer to is, what can they hold over you to make you stay for 7 years? Is the contract enforceable in other words? If it's in the country you are a citizen of, then yes, it's enforceable. If you are from a different country, I doubt they'd bother spending the legal fees to chase you through international courts if you skip out in a few years.

Seven years payback for a Dornier type rating is ridiculous, but it is a job when not many are to be had. If you can get out of the contract early somehow, I'd say take it.

airbandit
10th Apr 2009, 09:46
Very important question: how much money they offer you? Because you have to remember that 7 years is a long time...
Do they promise you a captain seat during those 7 years?
Did you ask them about future plans? I do not think that company will stick only with dorniers for 7 years...

I think that contract is tooo long, I would better become an instructor, gain hours and move to a bigger turboprop... It may become too boring with the same company,same people, same small airplane,same place...

T

DeltaT
11th Apr 2009, 08:51
When you start doing the research and asking pilot friends of stories they know, its very surprising just how many pilots do break their contract and leave before its up. Their doesn't seem to be much pprune about it thats for sure.
The company tries to chase them and gives up after a while, or can't track them down as they leave the country, or they simply do nothing.
At the very worst you set up a payment of $10 a week to pay them back after you leave...
In a nutshell, take it, keep an open mind and see what the future brings, they could get another plane type to put you onto, they could even go bust and you walk away, or they make you redundant due to unforseen circumstances, or you decide to leave for better things...