PDA

View Full Version : eyesight

liam_1
6th Apr 2009, 14:39
hi all,

not sure whether this should be here or in the medical forum but...

regarding raf eyesight requirements for pilot.

I had an eye test today at my local opticians and i got told everything was ok and i got a little printout. On the printout there was a section entitled "sph" for both left & right eyes. For my right eye I got +0.25 and for my left eye I got +0.50. Every other aspect of my eyesight was thought to be perfect by the optician.

My questions are; what do these scores mean?
and are these scores within the raf regualtions to apply for pilot?

cheers guys

Amnesia180
6th Apr 2009, 14:57
I believe that means you are long-sighted, and you struggle to focus on things close to you? The RAF requirements for a pilot are +0.75 (according to their website) so you are just acceptable in your left eye. However, I believe the RAF will test your eyes themselves.

airborne_artist
6th Apr 2009, 15:17
Read http://www.assoc-optometrists.org/uploaded_files/pdf/06-raf.pdf

liam_1
6th Apr 2009, 15:29
ok, so the pilots spherical component has to be between 0 and +1.75

looks like i'm ok then

Wing_Tip
6th Apr 2009, 15:50
So if anyone can shed any light on this, it might help me!

On the Armed forces eyesight form,

i have a VA of 6/5 in both eyes

however unaided vision is

L 6/5 N5
R 6/7.5 N5

all other parameters are within the expected ranges

I think this won't meet the RAF requirements, but does anyone else know otherwise? They are quite complecated forms!!

liam_1
6th Apr 2009, 20:01
Liam can I suggest that you look at the sticky at the top as I am sure the one hundred threads you are probably going to start on becoming RAF Aircrew have been answered in there somewhere. Better still you could visit the RAF Careers website and AFCO to get the definitive answers.

yes i might just do that; trawl through 154 pages only to find that the answer to my specific question probrably isnt in there. As for the RAF careers website, i looked for spherical component figures; they weren't there:ugh:...

muppetofthenorth
6th Apr 2009, 20:08
Or you could use the magic button known as search:rolleyes:.

Failing that, using google, you both can and will find the exact requirements, as I've seen them posted on another site.

But hey, why do the work yourself when someone else can do it for you?!

camelspyyder
6th Apr 2009, 21:05
harsh... but fair Mac!!:ok:

CS