PDA

View Full Version : Missing ATSB Safety Reports - AN 727 c.1981 Landing Incident

Hi All,

Browsing the ATSB safety reports for a report on an incident I was involved in as a SLF many years ago .. there seems to be a huge chunk of reports missing from the database around 1978 to 1988:

Transport Safety Investigation Reports (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/index.aspx?page=39&meth=DESC&sort=odate&mode=avi#sorted)

Either Australia Aviation got very lucky during these years or a bunch of reports are missing .. anyone know ??

----

My particular incident was an Ansett flight OOL-MEL operated by a 727 sometime during 1981 or 1982 (my memory fails me now - I was quite young) ..

The incident involved a hydraulic failure of right main gear whilst lowering on approach, causing damange to the wing & gear. Full emergency procedures ensued but we did land safely with the gear holding up on landing (still got to ride the slides which was fun !)

Anyone who has any recollection or involvement in this incident I would love to hear from you

I spy
6th Apr 2009, 04:24
I can't help you out on that one, but I have been trying for ages to find out whatever happened to VH-JON (it was a twin of some description) In June 2001, it was doing circuits on an instructional flight out of YMMB, when it made an "unscheduled" landing on the Capital Gof Course.

The June 2001 reference can be found here:

Crash could have been avoided, say residents - theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/30/1027926886254.html)

Poor thing sat in a hangar, in several pieces for many, many months.

No record of it anywhere in the ATSB website....????

Disco Stu
6th Apr 2009, 23:40
there seems to be a huge chunk of reports missing from the database around 1978 to 1988:

All before these new fangled things called computers.

How about you offer to re-type or scan all those missing reports into electronic copies for the ATSB. I'm sure they would genuinely appreciate you doing so.
:ok:

All before these new fangled things called computers.

How about you offer to re-type or scan all those missing reports into electronic copies for the ATSB. I'm sure they would genuinely appreciate you doing so.

So why are there a wealth of reports from 1969 - 1977 in the database ??

I dont think they were using punch card back then ..

Some fishy is still going on in that 1978 - 1988 period where there are hardly any reports ..

Disco Stu
7th Apr 2009, 03:20
You are joking, right!

Why on earth would there be anything fishy or sinister about some not yet input PUBLIC electronic records.

Better still instead of airing your theory here, try this instead:

ATSB enquiries:

1800 020 616
Tel: (02) 6257 4150
Tel International: +61 2 6257 4150
Fax: (02) 6247 3117
Email: [email protected]

Get the good word from the horses mouth so to speak.:ugh:

Apologies to the ATSB staff for calling them 'horses"

Calm down .. I wasn't havent a go at the ATSB - wasnt my intention anyway so regrets if it came across that way.

If they are simply still catching up on entering all those old records electronically then I guess it's puzzling why there are already a *few* records from each of those missing years, just nowhere near the number of records in the years either side of '78 to '88

Perhaps they added only the ones that had recently had some update, and given them priority first ..

I will get in touch with them - thanks for the contact details :ok: