PDA

View Full Version : Flying clubs in Staffordshire

luke_sedz
4th Apr 2009, 19:12
Hi,
I am looking for a club to join and do some hours near Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

I have done all of my previous flying and passed my PPL at Leeds flying school but obviously need somewhere more local to go flying now as Leeds is a little far.

I have found Tatenhill near Burton-on-Trent on google but would like to know if there is anywhere or if this is my best bet?

Thanks a lot
Luke

Fourbyfour
4th Apr 2009, 20:10
Hi Luke,

I've been flying from Tatenhill for 5 years, having done PPL and IMC with Tatenhill Aviation and hire their a/c regularly. :ok:

Also worth looking into is the East Staffordshire Flying Club. Tatenhill Aviation is strictly a business operation and more 'School' than 'Club'. The ESFC have approx 200 members, run the cafe on the airfield, man the a/g radio at weekends and organise fly-outs, socials, BBQs etc. Also, membership of the ESFC gives you a small discount on a/c from Tatenhill Aviation.

I hope the above doesn't appear too much of a blatant plug. Yes, I am a member of the ESFC and a happy TA customer.

4b4

Pull what
4th Apr 2009, 20:11
I reccomend Tatenhill as it is quiet and well situated, only drawback is that the CFI thinks all approaches must be power off glides, with London City style GP's.

Oh and time is off the hobbs meter so dont hang around!

Tail-take-off
6th Apr 2009, 19:29
When I lived in the midlands I did a lot of flying at Tatenhill & can highly recommend them. They always had a fleet of well equiped aircraft of various types at competitive prices.

The airfield is a delightful place too with
http://www.tatenhill.com/images/photo_about1.jpg
For more info:
Tatenhill Aviation - airfield, aircraft, hire, hangarage, maintenance, avionics - Staffordshire UK (http://www.tatenhill.com/)
Pilot reviews of Tatenhill Airfield (http://ukga.com/airfield/tatenhill/reviews)

Obs cop
6th Apr 2009, 22:30
Gotta agree with all of the above.

Wide variety of aircraft and a very helpful relaxed atmosphere at reasonably inexpensive prices. No landing fees for tatenhill based aircraft so no huge expenses if you want to do a few circuits.

However, it is more of a school than a club, albeit a very friendly school.

Likewise, the location is excellent to fly from although the narrow gap between Birmingham and East Mids can be busy with GA and helo's.

I never joined ESFC, however the folks I met who were members seemed very nice and the cafe was nice.

Regards,
Obs

carldudley
7th Apr 2009, 16:05
Hi,

I'm a Stokie too from Baddeley Green.

I'm still doing my ppl (early hours at that) at the moment. I took the decision to fly with Donair from East Midlands. Its really good, prices are competitive plus you get to mix it with some of the big boys. It is really good and they do have a few fly-outs, admitidlly not as many as ESFC.

I do intend to join ESFC once i've completed my PPL as it seems like a really active and friendly club.

Have you tried Sleap in Shropshire btw. I don't know if they have any clubs or whatever but its about equal distance to Tatenhill and EMA in the opposite direction. You might want to give them a try - although i probably would say go with ESFC as they do seem really well organised and very active.

tacpot
7th Apr 2009, 19:48
Derby Airfield is about the only alternative to Tatenhill. I live in Stone and can get to Derby in the same time as I can get to Tatenhill.

Derby Aeroclub is a friendly place. The grass runways, being relatively short, prepare you for anywhere.

But I can also recommend Tatenhill Aviation, and learnt loads in just one revalidation flight with their CFI.

East Midlands is not that much further, and if you would be happier with a big concrete runway, full ATC, and occasional delays while the 'big stuff' comes in, it is a good option.

Why not visit all of them, and see what you can learn?

Good luck with your choice

tp

Obs cop
7th Apr 2009, 19:49
Oddly,

I've flown with Donair aswell. Bang for buck you get awsome facilities in terms of flying from a busy international airport.

As you would expect, R/T, dealing with ATC, leaving entering controlled airspace becomes second nature very quickly and ATC are pro GA and sensitive (certainly when I've spoken with them anyway).

Again excellent prices and very welcoming. Aircraft are nice although not the variety of Tatenhill.

Horses for courses, why not visit both and see waht you think.

Sleap has a fabulous cafe at the top of a lovely old control tower. Wonderfully evovative. Never flown with the club there so don't know about the aircraft, instruction or prices, but good tea.

Obs.

aerofoil1
22nd May 2009, 20:57
hi
im also from stoke
im learning at derby airfield its a family run business there all very friendly.
short field grass runways just watch the trees when your near the runway!!
its good practice

White Otter
23rd May 2009, 11:56
Another one for Derby here too. Like somebody else said the short grass runways are really good - if you can land on them then any other landing is easy. And they really are very friendly and good prices too.

EGBM
2nd Jun 2009, 18:54
Here's a vote for both of them - trained at Derby and now share an aircraft based at Tatenhill. The latter we prefer as we can come and go at all hours so it's more convenient for the group.

Can't complain about the nice people at Derby though. Some of the staff and instructors who were there when I did my PPL are now at the Hill so I've managed to keep in touch!

aerofoil1
25th Jun 2009, 19:14
hi all
id just like to comment on my recent flying lesson last week
my usual instructor was unavailable so i was booked in with an older chap
X RAF instructor.
talk about laid back!!
i was left in the aeroplane for about ten mins whlist he had a visit to the loo!!!
so im in the cockpit thinking this is very nice might as well do my internal checks.
no problems here.
we started rolling down the taxi way with his door open slightly!!
it was really hot so i didnt really think it was a problem.
i lined myself up on the runway did my power checks and rotated around 55kts nothing out of the ordinary.
then my instructors door came open as we were climbing **** i thought but he said oh dont worry im strapped in!!
couldnt believe it.
the only thing that really bothered me was at times he would take the controls and not tell me so at some points we had both hands on the throttle controlling the aeroplane is this normal.?
i always thought you are meant to inform "i have control"so as to avoid any confusion.
your thoughts please

also if anyone would like to share there stories of ppl training and how long it took how many hours it took for your solos that would be nice to share
ive done 14 hours at the moment but my instructor hasnt given me any clues just yet!!:}:ok: