PDA

View Full Version : Oh, now what have I done?

Loose rivets
3rd Apr 2009, 03:31
Oh, now what have I done?

When I reinstalled the original XP home, it all went quite well from the backup disc that I had made. I had to download the latest Sp, but that was it. As mentioned I lost my partitions, but that's not relevant.

The Home version now has poor quality text.

I generally run at 1024 X 768 into a 19" tube. 75 or 85 refresh rate makes no difference. dpi makes no difference where the text has not gone to thick black. 1280 X 1024 is really difficult to see because of the poor text quality.

If I look at the Googoil small blue writing under the search entry box, there's an A. About Googoil it says, but the A is in fine detail on the Pro version, yet the vertical-ish sides of the A on the Home version are made of four distinct vertical bars. In other words, all small writing looks like it was printed on a 9 pin dot matrix. I'm sure it wasn't like this before.

I've just spent 40 mins looking through the graphics section - NVidia FX5200 - and the ordinary menus, to no avail. I'm sure it wasn't like this before.

The only difference I can see is that the Home version has the NVidia menu system. While the Pro is a native driver. But this has never been an issue before, out of the dozens of Windows installations I've done.

Is there a button to be pressed that I've missed?

Sprogget
3rd Apr 2009, 06:42
Tried updating the driver Rivets?

stickyb
3rd Apr 2009, 11:35
Have you lost a font or 2? what theme are you using?

Saab Dastard
3rd Apr 2009, 11:36
Checked "Display Properties", "Appearance" "Effects" "Smooth Screen Fonts"?

SD

Loose rivets
3rd Apr 2009, 15:19
MY dear fellow! Font of all knowledge (groan) you've done it again.:ok:

Option was Standard or Clear-type but what's in a name.

Can't understand why it would have defaulted to unclear type...who'd want that? Perhaps someone with a 4 pin dot matrix, and they wanted to know what it was going to look like.:}

Avtrician
4th Apr 2009, 00:34
Ah the old 4pin dot matrix running in bent pin emulation mode.:8:8

kenhughes
4th Apr 2009, 01:29
Ah the old 4pin dot matrix running in bent pin emulation mode.

And "re-inking" the ribbon with WD40... :ok: