PDA

View Full Version : Go-around at AKL, Thur 2nd.

LocoDriver
3rd Apr 2009, 00:21
Does anyone know what/who/why did a go-around at AKL abouT 1400 on thurs?? on approach on 23.

Looked like a twinjet, 737 or larger, my bugsmasher was too far away to get a good look. Seemed to do a very large circuit, came back and landed.

Just curious, virtually zero wind and 80k's plus viz.

Cheers

Capt Claret
3rd Apr 2009, 01:56
Don't know but assume you're confused by the virtually zero wind and good viz.

Mrs C had two go arounds the other week, in similar conditions. The first was because a cabin crew seat belt was jammed in the cockpit door and said cabin crew couldn't secure them self for landing. The other was (and I'm guessing here based on Mrs C's description) due to not being stable on the second approach, which appeared to come of a quick night circuit.

The point? There are many causes for a missed approach.

RENURPP
3rd Apr 2009, 03:11
Hope she had some water, or scotch for the valium?? :ooh:

lilflyboy262
3rd Apr 2009, 03:12
Yeah I saw that as I was walking into work, its was a Domestic Qantas 737. Dont know why, but it went around really early, was well over 1000' about the threshold. Perfect clear sky with zero wind....
Maybe someone took to long to get off the runway? Someone interfered with the ILS? who knows...

Capt Claret
3rd Apr 2009, 04:39
Hope she had some water, or scotch for the valium??

Nope, she'd decided to forgo the valium on that day! :eek:

Howard Hughes
3rd Apr 2009, 05:17
No one ever asks when I do a go around!:{

Usually I'm either not stabilised, or to farken high....:eek:

mauswara
3rd Apr 2009, 07:13
Maybe the flaps were not in the correct position,or something similar?That would be about mode 4B would it not Howard?

Steve Zissou
3rd Apr 2009, 07:40
Has pprune really got to this ... ?:ugh:

PegasusFury99
3rd Apr 2009, 08:19
REFER to Boeing Training and Ops Manuals;

GO- AROUND is a STANDARD manoeuvre!:confused:

Cypher
3rd Apr 2009, 09:03
Damn TOGA button... I keep on confusing it with the A/T Disengage.... :}

assasin8
3rd Apr 2009, 09:46
My expert opinion would be that said aircaft's flugershclep valve was stuck in the override position when, in fact, at that stage of the flight, should have been selected to alternate standby... Luckily for the crew, they spotted the mistake and averted a near disaster! Well done mystery go-around aircraft crew!:ok:

Curved Approach
3rd Apr 2009, 12:41
Poor LocoDriver,

You have had the piss taken out of you a little. A fair enough question though really.

As previously mentioned a Go-Around is a "normal procedure". It is a non reportable event as well, you do not need to put in "paper work" after a go-around. Obviously in some regards to stop crew from thinking they don't want to get in trouble or create paper work so they will push a bad situation which should be resolved by a go-around.

Also as previously mentioned, external and internal factors: another aircraft or vehicle etc on the runway or unstable (high and or fast etc outside company requirements) approach.

nike
3rd Apr 2009, 13:33
D & G General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys.

Might need a revamp.

Jackaroo 2
3rd Apr 2009, 22:04
Pegasus & Curved

Last year I heard Air Pacific sacked a Capt because he did a Go Around at AKL - I believe.

:bored::hmm:

lilflyboy262
3rd Apr 2009, 22:56
Go-Arounds are always company reports.
If its found to be a gross pilot error due to him being a half-wit, that can lead to disclipanary measures. I cant recall FJ doing any go-arounds at akl last year though.

powersfasher
3rd Apr 2009, 23:27
Why do people ask about aircraft go-arounds as if they are bad things?

Is it because you genuinely would like to know why aircraft conduct go-arounds?

Perhaps you could do a Google search and type in the words go-around, missed approach, windshear, CRM (and any words you can think of to do with landing aircraft) and see where that takes you.

Then I can understand that you are just trying to learn more about flying, and that is a good thing.

So more importantly, what happens if you don’t do a go-around when you should?

Google search this.

Final NTSC investigation report into the Boeing 737 accident at Yogyakarta on 7. March 2007 involving Garuda Indonesia flight GA200 ...

LocoDriver
4th Apr 2009, 00:00
good grief,
I thought asked a simple question!

Yes, I am quite aware what a go-around is, I have been flying for 39 years.
I simply asked details about this one , it is not normal at AKL in the middle of a perfect day.

Thanks, now we know it was a QF 737.
Go-arounds by 737's cost $$$, unless they were training.................
Companies watch $$$$ very closely, and ask questions as to why.

The last one I heard of was due to tcas going off .............

Cheers
:ok:

distracted cockroach
4th Apr 2009, 00:27
Airline I used to fly for was questioned (criticised?) by CAA for not doing enough go-arounds!
Happens all the time, at all airports and at all times of the day. Nothing "not
normal" about it. Could be anything from an ATC instruction to a flock of birds.

SystemsAreGo
4th Apr 2009, 09:15
Jetconnect 737 eh?

Did they divert to Invercargill after the go around :}

Runaway Gun
4th Apr 2009, 18:16
Has a dramatic headline story covering this featured on the front page of the Auckland Gazette yet? Sales will double!!

haughtney1
4th Apr 2009, 23:12
Every place I've worked at....a G/A is a non-event, it might cost half a tonne of fuel in a bug smasher like a 737 or 3 tonnes in a 400.....but its a non-event.
Companies that want to investigate on the basis of a decision to throw it away and have another go....just increase the pressure on guys/gals not to want to throw the approach away in the first case...for the less enlightened..its part of a decent SMS..and is hand in hand with a "no blame culture"..:ugh:

CI300
5th Apr 2009, 06:30
haughtney1, sms doesnt work with a no-blame culture. A just culture is used with a mature sms.

As for go-arounds, last company did require a report for go-arounds and did investigate circumstance. But not to nab the crew -the idea being to pick up on trends forming. eg local atc issues or wx forecasting, or wildlife running round. The company didnt give a monkies if the crew went round cause of stability issues, only followed it up to ensure external influences on crew were in check.

Bullethead
5th Apr 2009, 07:24
it is not normal at AKL in the middle of a perfect day

I had to go around in such conditions at AKL a couple of years ago because some ijit in a lighty was taking far too long to clear the runway after landing. Had a great sight seeing tour of the AKL city and harbour. ;)

Regards,
BH.

LocoDriver
5th Apr 2009, 09:36
I am now happy, I have found out who, what why...........

It was not a Jetconnect 737, but one from another airline, and he went around because a foreign heavy couldnt decide to take off, after being cleared................

Interesting comments, at least the sensible ones.
A go-around should always be no blame, safety must never be compromised.

Cheers
:ok:

Wombat35
5th Apr 2009, 20:01
Talking of AKL not every day that you hear... Emirates A380 you are number two to a Dakota DC3 on Finals !!

Talk about pressure not to screw up the landing and send THAT thing around!

I'd never hear the end of it!

haughtney1
5th Apr 2009, 20:50
Hey Wombat...at least you didnt hit the bloody wake of one doing 340kts! :eek:

slamer.
6th Apr 2009, 01:57
Geeeez...340kts in a DC-3

Old 'Un
6th Apr 2009, 02:43
Wombat: Now THAT controller has his/her priorities right. Bluudy youngsters in flashy gear. :) Age AND beauty first!

Le Vieux

Joker 10
6th Apr 2009, 09:16
Round engines rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wombat35
6th Apr 2009, 20:20
Yes... well we turned a very short finals in front of them.

No pressure :}, didn't want to do a ground loop and end up facing an A380 zooming over my head!

It was a pretty unique experience, I'm a lucky guy to still be flying a true and legend of the sky ZK-DAK.

Cheers

Wombat35