PDA

View Full Version : Bristow Australia layoffs

bladebanger
1st Apr 2009, 07:55
Just heard that BHA are going to be laying off some pilot's shortly?

Not good if one of the big operators is slowing down here in Australia.

Banger

Epiphany
1st Apr 2009, 08:41
Considering that Bristow Australia were very recently offering sponsorship to ab-initio pilots, they have a number of contractors and also some UK Bristow International Division pilots working there I don't think that full-time BHA pilots have much to worry about. At the moment at least.

floatsarmed
1st Apr 2009, 11:11
Considering that BHA have been taking on and training new Co-Pilots over the last few months and are in the process of getting some new aircraft in their fleet I doubt that there will be much movement in Pilot numbers any time soon.

Training up new guys to be multi-engine offshore IFR drivers takes a long time a lot of effort and organisation and BIG dollars. Even IF there were to be a significant downturn then Bristow, CHC etc would be loathed to cut Pilots because when the downturn ends they need to get them back on-line asap. Pilots who are cut loose still need to pay the bills and will have moved on possibly not to return quickly enough or ever?

A downturn in the offshore market would only initially really affect the exploration and drilling sectors of gas and oil. Production is an on-going requirement and will therefore be unlikely to suffer as much.

Guys who are at the 'bottom' of the heap in terms of seniority will of course be a bit 'twitchy' given the level of economic unrest and usual Pilot rumour and speculation. However, rest assured these guys who have the training, endorsements, ratings and even a small amount of offshore experience will be the very first to be picked up when the stock market stops crapping itself! :)

I guess it's reasonable for others to suggest given the current climate that Bristows or CHC offshore in Oz are going to be laying off Pilots. I haven't heard any such rumour, and NO I'm not on anyones management team!!:)

spinwing
1st Apr 2009, 23:17
Mmm .....

floatsarmed ..... well said ol boy .... well said! :D

Ratman76
5th Aug 2009, 23:38
They are laying off a few of the contract / oversea's pilots, can't remember the exact number of how many though. They are all aware and some have already finished up.