PDA

View Full Version : New Google gimmick?

BEagle
1st Apr 2009, 07:10
There seems to be a new gimmick on Google. If you type something into the search box, it tries to offer various suggestions......

Personally I find it a distraction and unnecessary. Fortunately it can be turned off under 'preferences'.

Fokkerwokker
1st Apr 2009, 08:32
I typed in bait and it came up with fishy

I then typed in fishy and it came up with hook

Then I typed in hook and it came up with gotcha!

I don't follow?????

P.Pilcher
1st Apr 2009, 09:23
Does this problem have anything to do with today's date?

P.P.

bnt
1st Apr 2009, 19:07
"Problem"? I've just seen it, and think I'll be leaving it on, actually. You're not obliged to accept their suggestions, but can help avoid spelling mistakes in searches.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Apr 2009, 19:24
It's been available in Google Labs for several years.

mixture
1st Apr 2009, 22:33
Have you considered clicking on the appropriatley titled "Preferences" link right next to the aforementioned search box on Google.

I'm not going to hold your hand and list out all the steps. I've just given you a great big nudge in the right direction !

Background Noise
2nd Apr 2009, 06:04
Fortunately it can be turned off under 'preferences'.

Maybe he doesn't need his hand holding?

mixture
2nd Apr 2009, 07:36
maybe I made the mistake of posting a reply late at night ! :ok:

The impression I got from a speed read of the original post was that he was all confused by this new fangled feature that suddently popped up.

NRU74
2nd Apr 2009, 07:48
mixture,
Hold my hand.
How do I un-disable the cookie - so that when I come out of Firefox/Google and then return I don't have to go into preferences etc again to prevent the 'suggestions' reappearing?
NRU

mixture
2nd Apr 2009, 11:00
Have you got cookies disabled. I think Google relies heavily on them.

In Firefox check "Accept cookies from sites" is ticked, and that you have no "exceptions"

NRU74
2nd Apr 2009, 18:52
mixture
Thanks very much indeed.
Cracked it -and-also altered the CrapCleaner settings as well.
I might just be getting the hang of this computer thingie after 8 or 9 years.
But thanks again - help much appreciated !

mixture
2nd Apr 2009, 21:04
No probs NRU.

Keep on plugging away at the computer thingie .... even relatively old hats at the game like myself still come a cropper on an all too frequent basis, stumbled by the weird and wonderful errors that computers conjure up !