PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair: why Paris base is still NOT open ?

ICING AOA
31st Mar 2009, 23:00
Can you tell me why MOL is NOT interested in opening a base at Paris?

MUFC_fan
31st Mar 2009, 23:21
Air France, easyJet...

Binder
1st Apr 2009, 07:10
Le Touquet doesn't have the rail links....yet!

Binder

Carmoisine
1st Apr 2009, 07:40
They are interested in a Base, and have been for some time. BVA would be the leader in a league table for weather related diversions in the winter for FR. Once CAT III ILS facilities are installed I would say it's almost a certainty.

pee
1st Apr 2009, 07:50
Le Touquet
Happy April Fools' Day!

However, the rail link is already there!

The Real Slim Shady
1st Apr 2009, 08:32
Lille is a better chioce for Paris: it's further away ;)

wind check
1st Apr 2009, 09:50
This is because in France Ryanair cannot give a brookfield nor an irish contract. It has to be a local (better said, French) contract and this is very costy.
Remember Easyjet received 2 years ago 50 policemen in ORY due to non compliance of the french law. Now they offer a fully french contract.
Remeber cityjet... the same! now cityjet have cut the french base and everybody is at LCY and 50 cityjet employees nightstops everynight at Mariott CDG to avoid french contracts :ouch:
Vueling had to cancel CDG base for that costy reason as well.

As for Ryanair at MRS, this is just illegal :suspect:

Carmoisine
1st Apr 2009, 11:28
Wind Check

You are on to a few half truths there. As unpallatable as it may be, and believe me I hate the Brookfield setup as much as anyone, the EU provides for freedom of movement and Labour. The regulations are vague enough for the likes of Ryanair to pay employees based in Europe under the Irish taxation system. While this is not in the spirit of the rules, it is not illegal. France alone have taken this unique interpretation of the rules to dictate that Easyjet, Cityjet, Vueling and now Ryanair should have French based contracts. A Euro sceptic such as myself would ponit out that this is the typical french attitude to the EU: Insist on the letter of the law when it comes to subsidies and other rules that benefit them, but when things don't go their way or rules they don't like they have a fit of Gallic pique and throw the toys out of the pram as only the French can.

MRS crews are on Irish contracts while FR have court proceedings against the French government and the legalities of imposing French contracts on their crews.

For what it's worth, I agree with the French fighting the moral inequalities of what Ryanair does, but loath the EU double standards the French adopt; either they sign up for all the rules or none of the rules, the EU should not be a la carte!

hotelmodemetar
1st Apr 2009, 12:18
OF COURSE Michael o Leary would LOVE to put more bases in France and especially a very big one at Paris Beauvais because the French Market is a very good business, and Paris is a great european potential, but yes Wind Check is completely right! Ryanair and easyJet lost the battle against the french law in the court, and it is now prohibited to give foreign working contract to any employee based on the french territory.
As a result easyJet is offering a French contract to all its french based employees and pays for everything they have to pay (french taxes, french social insurance, french pension scheme, etc..). Vueling and Cityjet decided to close there french base.
This story has already been treated in the court. The case has been judged and you have to respect it. Every EU countries have their own law. The UK are part of the EU but they still drive on the wrong side of the road and they still have their own (crap) currency :}
Anyway, more information here:

Détail d'un texte (http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000000278532&dateTexte=)

Like easyJet, I am affraid MO'L will have to eventually apply the law and regulate the situation of its illegal workers based at MRS :E
I am sure Mol dreams of a paris base as big as DUB or STN ;)

jubilee
1st Apr 2009, 12:52
How about Manston. Short bus ride to catch Eurostar, straight into the centre of Paris.
Regards
Jubilee

Carmoisine
1st Apr 2009, 13:19
hotelmodemetar

Yes I am aware of that case. I understood though, that a Ryanair appeal is pending? The FR crews I know in MRS are still on Irish contracts the last I heard. There have been strong rumours within the company that the base is to close so perhaps the two are connected. All I can see this resulting in is more "W" routes through BVA to work around this problem.

Longhitter
1st Apr 2009, 16:29
Before FR can bring their case to the European human rights court they have to go through the national courts in France first. FR might have lost their case(s) in France as expected, but we will only know how the European court sees it in a year or so. EU directives supersede national law, by the way.

Funny that the French are one of the big promotors of the EU and at the same time pay the largest amount of fines for non-compliance with EU directives. Agree with Carmoisine here.

hotelmodemetar
1st Apr 2009, 19:42
EU directives supersede national law, by the way.

Not in this particular case. :=
That's all about mercantile legislation, and I am affraid the EU won't have much to say about this :oh:

There have been strong rumours within the company that the base is to close so perhaps the two are connected. All I can see this resulting in is more "W" routes through BVA to work around this problem

Could be.. :E

RAT 5
2nd Apr 2009, 10:18
I don't think there can be a ban on temporary workers on non-French EU contracts working in France. Thus, crews could work for 11 months on Irish or BRK contracts, then be removed for 1 month, then return. Their basing is therefore temporary. N'est ce pas?

I thought the MRS crews were mostly BRK'ers. They have no guarantee of work and theoretically are self-employed. What is the legal situation there?

Why is nobody based ar Nice. Years ago EZY was the biggest operator there. Rumours abounded about a base, but nothing happened. Are they still the biggest in terms of movements? Is it too expensive? RYR is now dipping its toe into Nice waters. Perhaps it will expand to something significant, but not a base.

2nd Apr 2009, 10:50
The attitude to temporary workers on non-French contracts would probably be based on the conditions as used for tax residency.

So, 183 days in a year in France and you'd need to be on a French contract.

I'm not sure whether the French use presence in the country at midnight, 12 hours or any length of time as their rule.

ICING AOA
2nd Apr 2009, 10:52
I don't think there can be a ban on temporary workers on non-French EU contracts working in France. Thus, crews could work for 11 months on Irish or BRK contracts, then be removed for 1 month, then return. Their basing is therefore temporary. N'est ce pas?

I think the french legislation doesn't even allow that. Otherwise easyJet, Cityjet, etc.. would have done it, no doubt.

As for NCE, there is no slots and it's very expensive!! all the slots are given to Air France.

Carmoisine
2nd Apr 2009, 17:59
all the slots are given to Air France

..and there lies the problem. The Airline and the government in total collusion. French cops kicking down doors on Easyjet. The competition rides into town and Air France send in the heavies to ruff 'em up. Like something from a bad mob movie and like Alitalia making a mockery of the competion rules to protect national self interest. I feel sorry for the like of the Germans and the British who obediently follow the rules while the French and Italians pick and choose. It would be funny if it wasn't so rotten. Anyway, back on topic.

Binder
3rd Apr 2009, 07:22
"Rules is rules-and if we didn't have rules,where would we be? Thats's
right,France!

And if we had too many rules where would we be?
Germany!"

Al Murray (The Pub Landlord) circa 2007

fireflybob
3rd Apr 2009, 16:43
Mind you Stansted to Le Touquet would be a fun sector!