PDA

View Full Version : Renting an Aircraft in Panama

TylerPilot007
31st Mar 2009, 22:57
I travel to Panama several times a year and would like to rent an aircraft, such as a Cessna 172 to go sightseeing or to travel to other parts of the country. My efforts have focused on Albrook Airport in Panama City but I have yet to find a company that will rent to me, without having an instructor go along with me. An aircraft checkout is fine, but after, I would like to fly just myself and my fiancee around. Is this possible/legal in Panama and does anyone know a company or person that rents out their aircraft? Thanks.

gear down props forward
2nd Apr 2009, 13:06
I have been to the same airport and asked the same questions for the same reasons.

If you have a FAA pilot certificate, you will have to get a private certificate from the aviation authority of Panama in order to fly HP-registered airplanes. I believe this involves them reviewing and endorsing your logbook, if I remember correctly. Besides, most pilots in Panama get their training in the US, have FAA certificates and go back home to get the local equivalent to fly private/commercially.

Unless you find someone who owns an N-reg C172 and is willing to rent/loan it to you (aircraft insurance company permitting, of course), then this is one of your limited options.