PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance Learning & Ground School - Lack of Flexibility?

Katal1
30th Mar 2009, 10:39
Morning all,

First post so treat me gently please!

I've been researching options for the ATPL modular route and am becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of any flexibility in the distance learning/modular options.

There are two key frustrations at this stage:

1. The first issue is that of compulsory attendance at ground school. I'm confused as to why the CAA insist that you attend between 3-6 weeks (depending on the school) at a 'brush up' ground school. If a school offers an online training facility, provides online support and assistance, why oh why the need to formally attend a brush up session in person? It puts money in the hands of the school but the schools insist that it is a CAA requirement. If the online course is up to scratch and the school is confident in the quality of the course, the ongoing assessments and instructor help online - what's the issue?

With existing job and family commitments, trying to schedule up to 6 weeks holiday/unpaid leave over the next year seems a little unnecessary given the comments above.

2. The second issue is probably aimed at the schools themselves. Why is there an insistence that modular must be either 2 or 3 blocks of study/exams? True distance learning allows you to learn at your own pace. Particularly important for those with existing job and family commitments. I understand the need to complete the exams within a defined period of time, however, I just don't get the need for the ground schools/exams to be so regimented, particularly when the school offers an online course (such as CATS).

What is the real issue with allowing modular/distance learning students the ability to sit an exam every month as an example?

It feels like the industry and the governing body are so slow to change and are failing to really grasp the needs of all students. When was the last time any of the above was reviewed in light of new teaching techniques and new technology?

Sorry the first post is a moan but all comments very welcome.

Thanks,

White Otter
30th Mar 2009, 11:03
Welcome to PPRuNe. As far as point 2 goes I've heard of them allowing you to change this but you'd have to talk with them.

30th Mar 2009, 11:21
The thing to be careful of if spreading out exams is you only get a maximum of 6 sittings and if you mess up an exam on the 6th you will have to take them all again. I have just started with CATS and so far found them very helpful. Plus it is only 3 weeks gs which suits me better. there is some flexibility around number of sittings but I think it is a safer and possibly cheaper in the long run to aim at 3.

Godd luck with your choice.

EK4457
30th Mar 2009, 12:21
Hi there Katal.

The thing to bear in mind is that the CAA/JAA have to strike a balance between making the course accessible and not just giving them away with a bag of crisps.

As somone who did most of my training whilst working full time, married, mortgaged and baby on the way, trust me, I know where you are coming from. Also, if you read some of my previous posts you will see I am not the greatest fan of CAA/JAR beuracracy or the content of the exams.

However, I think that in order to become CPL, it is fair and reasonable to expect a degree of uniform commitment and sacrifice. I dont think 20 week days is too harsh. In fact, compare it to other professional courses and it is a walk in the park.

Plus, time in a classroom with an approved teacher guarantees that you have recieved a minimum level and quantity of tuition. This helps give the qualification recognised credability which is essential. Just look at the devalued GCSE and A level. That is one reason why a JAR CPL is well regarded (generally).

I really am taken back that you think modular ATPLs are not flexible. Go to law school/med school/accounting school. The list goes on. Even though the exams are silly and comical themselves, you really are spoon fed through them.

Spread the time over 2 holiday years (mine was Mar-Mar) and you only loose 10 days out of your annual allocation. Easy.

If you baulk at the thought of this level of commitment, have a long hard think. You know what Im getting at.

As for your second point- the schools are very happy to let you chop and change. But as previously posted - watch your sittings don't run out! If you don't like the idea of limited sittings then, again, look at other proffessional exams and then count your lucky stars.

If it was as easy as you want it, there would be a lot more CPLs out there and it would make it EVEN harder to get a job.

EK