PDA

View Full Version : Transfer to another school

RJBB2016
30th Mar 2009, 06:36
Dear PPRuNer,

I seriously consider transferring to another flight training school due to unsuitable weather for VFR CPL training and very busy school (instructor):{. There are many posts about school on pprune, but no post about transfer.
Please anybody advice me about transfer! Weather... Quality of Instruction ... Anything!!

RJBB2016

apache
30th Mar 2009, 06:59
grammar maybe?

desmotronic
30th Mar 2009, 07:29
Apache,
If you dont have anything useful to say why dont you just say nothing. It's obvious English is not his/her first language.

In many parts of the world only the uneducated speak just one language.

Lasiorhinus
30th Mar 2009, 07:54
RJBB, There are many reasons for transferring to another school, but if weather is a concern, you will find the same weather at any other flying school in the same area.

If you do move, you will need your new school to formally request your training records from your old school, and then you will simply pick up where you left off. Expect a couple of "familiarisation flights" first, particularly if you are flying a different type of aircraft.

詳しくはPMでどうぞ

Horatio Leafblower
30th Mar 2009, 08:54
Should not be an issue. You don't even need to speak to your other school if you're too uncomfortable with it - your new CFI should request the transfer of your records, in writing, from the previous CFI.

Good luck & blue skies.

WannaBeBiggles
30th Mar 2009, 09:24
I've flown in schools in NSW, QLD and now Vic and have to tell you you will have issues with weather EVERYWHERE.

But as everyone said, transfer is quite easy.

Pro777
30th Mar 2009, 15:50
Consider a move to Perth :ok:

Great people, weather, beaches, and flying!

GADRIVR
30th Mar 2009, 22:46
CAR 1988 5.57 Flying Schools: Transfer of student records
If;
(a) a person has recieved flying training at a flying training school; and
(b) the person subsequently arranges to recieve flying training at another flying school;
the first mentioned flying school must, on the written OR ORAL request of the PERSON or the other flying school, give a copy of the person's student record to the other flying school
Hope that helps.

ReverseFlight
31st Mar 2009, 03:06
RJBB2016, we're all trying to help you here but you must ask some soul searching questions why you want to transfer. Is transferring a real solution for your weather problems ? (You need to train to fly in marginal weather too.) And is the school busy or is it your instructor ? A busy school is a good sign but a busy instructor is not. Have you tried discussing your problems with them ? Maybe that will make them work harder for your money.

benharris10
31st Mar 2009, 03:50
If you were to transfer, can you still qualify for the 150 Hour course provided you transfer to a school that is approved for it? Or will you then have to complete the 200 hours before sitting the CPL flight test as the theory and flight training is being conducted at two different schools??

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm not sure if all FTO's are registered for CASA's 150 hour syllabus or not or how it works.

flog
31st Mar 2009, 04:01
benharris10, you can happily transfer from one 150hour school to another and still only have to do the 150(ish).

It's likely our questing friend is in the early stages and wind and or low cloud is stopping circuits and/or solo navs. I remember I started my training in June of one year (once upon a time in a galaxy far far away) and spent sooo many days sitting around with the instructors waiting for weather to piss off.

Bloody Melbourne.

RJBB2016
31st Mar 2009, 23:56
Thank you very much for your posting to this thread and sharing your time
to solve my problems. And, I apologize for my ugly sentences.
(These sentences in this post may have a lot of grammatical errors.)

Honestly, I don't know whether transferring will make me happy or not,
but it is sure that I should do anything right now to solve my problem.
Now I think that transferring is only a way to solve my problem.

My reason is neither only bad weather nor only busy instructor,
but ((bad weather + busy instructor)) is my reason to transfer.
Busyness of my instructor will not change and winter will take
unsuitable weather for VFR to south of Victoria soon.

I don't want to go through eight cancelations for only one nav again
and don't want to wait for only one nav for 6weeks.
(8th cancelation made me really depressed. I thought that I should give up my dream at that time.)

Sure I talked with my instructor, but answer was "You should have made booking weeks before."
If I stay here, I would go through a lot of cancelations in next winter.

I believe that transferring would make my student life meaningful.

Benjamin James
1st Apr 2009, 02:50
I might be alone in this, but stick at it. Everyone goes through a bad run of weather during their training, especially when it comes to navs.

Use the time during bad weather to get more from your instructor now that they have the time. Work on radio calls, emergencies, any theory you are struggling with.

And have you even gone over the oral theory you will have in the flight test with your instructor? Most if not all fixed wing students ignore this during training and then try and cram it in days before their flight test. Leaving to higher levels of anxiety.

My point is that don't sit around during bad weather days, use them to better prepare yourself, you will be a better pilot for it.

Lastly if you are having doubts about being a pilot due to this situation, well wait until you go looking for work. Flight training is the most fun you are going to have for a long while, you might not even get a job flying for a year or two if you haven't got a job lined up already.

GA715
1st Apr 2009, 04:28
I completely understand your position. I was exactly in the same position as you. I think its good that your being proactive about your training.

Just over a 1 year ago my friend and I both started our full time CPL/MECIR course at different schools. We both suffered from issues like aircraft availability, instructors being always busy etc etc. I completely understand that no school is perfect but :ugh: it was ridiculous.

Short story, I raised the issue and when I felt that things weren't going to change I took the initiative and transfered. My mate however was in a more difficult situation. Why? The school he was at required he paid his fee's upfront. So he didn't have much options but stayed, raise the issue and hope that the situation would improve.

Anyways 1 year later, I've gotten my CPL and just about to complete my MECIR while on the other hand all the training that my mate done only allowed him to obtain his PPL. His trying to transfer school's at the moment but his school won't release his unused funds. The fella's taking the school to the tribunal as we speak.

I'm pretty sure theres more to it but is a school allowed to do this? Holding on to my mates money? I think his trying to prove that the school failed to provide a service etc.

RJBB, when I transfered I also didn't know if I would be happy with this decision but at the very least I was content that I did something about it.

GA 715

flog
1st Apr 2009, 06:16
I'm pretty sure theres more to it but is a school allowed to do this? Holding on to my mates money? I think his trying to prove that the school failed to provide a service etc.

Depends on what was signed.

Words to the wise - It's not what happened, it's what you can prove. READ EVRERYTHING.

O, and RJB - go do some circuits in a tailwheel if the weather turns too nasty for NAVs + T/A time. Keep you busy forever getting it perfect.

Flog.

triton140
1st Apr 2009, 09:30
Sure I talked with my instructor, but answer was "You should have made booking weeks before."

Took me a while, but I've now wised up to it. After every lesson, grab all of the booking sheets and fill in the early morning/late afternoon slots (most stable air for circuits) for as far out as you can .

I'm booked up to end of April :ok: - much better than booking from week to week.

Benjamin James
1st Apr 2009, 11:07
^^^^ Exactly! It's much easier to cancel a booking, than sit around waiting for a free slot.

I cannot understand the amount of students who don't think more than 1 flight in advance.

Van Gough
2nd Apr 2009, 07:11
You want to be a CPL/charter pilot and your worried about the weather? How do you think your pax will feel if you tell them the weathers no good for their charter? Get the f*** up there ya pussy and don't come back till the jobs done:ok:

PyroTek
2nd Apr 2009, 09:10
How do you think your pax will feel if you tell them the weathers no good for their charter?

More importantly, how do you think your boss will feel??

He'll probably say something like "Cya!"

GA715
2nd Apr 2009, 09:22
I reread this whole thread again and I don't see any mention of charter pilot before van gough.

I'm pretty sure CPL does not just = charter pilot.

Or can someone show me where the thread starter mentioned charter pilot.. :}

Lineboy4life
2nd Apr 2009, 09:50
had a mate reciently transfer from CTC to Bayflight due lack of progress & communication issues - nowwhowaddathunkthat, BOOM!!!:}

p.s - rather train by the coast anyways:cool:

desmotronic
3rd Apr 2009, 01:09
Whats wrong with melbourne weather anyway?:}

MELBOURNE (YMML)
TAF AMD YMML 022249Z 0300/0406
22015KT 9999 LIGHT SHOWERS OF RAIN SCT020 SCT040 SCT100
FM031000 26012KT 9999 LIGHT SHOWERS OF RAIN SCT030 SCT040
TEMPO 0300/0304 4000 SHOWERS OF RAIN BKN010
INTER 0304/0308 4000 RAIN BKN012
INTER 0300/0304 2000 THUNDERSTORMS WITH RAIN BKN008 SCT050CB
RMK
T 21 19 18 15 Q 1016 1015 1016 1018

TTF SPECI YMML 030057Z 22010KT 7000 THUNDERSTORMS IN THE VICINITY,
LIGHT RAIN FEW017 SCT065 BKN150 FEW045CB 16/15 Q1017
RMK RF00.6/009.4
FM0057 22015KT 9999 LIGHT SHOWERS OF RAIN SCT013 SCT050 BKN100
INTER 0057/0357 3000 THUNDERSTORMS WITH RAIN BKN010 FEW040CB
TEMPO 0100/0357 4000 SHOWERS OF RAIN BKN010

ATIS YMML X 030032
APCH: EXPECT ILS APPROACH
RWY: 27
SFC COND: WET
+ OPR INFO: HIAL OPERATING
WND: 180-210/10-18, ALL XW
+ VIS: REDUCING TO 2000M IN TSRA
+ CLD: SCT010CB..OVC025
+ TMP: 17
QNH: 1017
+ SIGWX: LIGHTING OBSERVED AT THE FIELD

Van Gough
3rd Apr 2009, 07:52
I tell you what, matey, back in my day we did VFR flights in a whole lot worse weather than THAT...and we didn't take any of that stupid reserve fuel either

Kickatinalong
4th Apr 2009, 10:00
I know why you flew in wx like that . 'cause you were like Chopper and had no where to hang your sunnies, did ya. Earie.
Kickatinalong.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: