PDA

View Full Version : Sky Thomson satellite box.

G-CPTN
29th Mar 2009, 19:14
I've recently moved into a house with a satellite dish.
I've just been gifted a Thomson DSI4214C 'box' - but no instructions.
I've never had (or used) any satellite equipment before and though I've searched I haven't found any source for a user manual for this box.
Some of the markings make me nervous about 'just connecting it all up and see what happens' - the power input is 230v 50Hz 25W and the Dish input 1 is marked 13/18V DC 350mA max, RF Out-2 9V DC 75mA max.
There is also a telephone line connector (as well as an RS-232), Aerial In, RF Out-1 and, of course TV SCART and VCR SCART (I can fathom those).

Has anybody got a digitised user manual for this DSI4214C? (or a URL where I might find basic instructions?)

(I see that the Amstrad DRX550 and Pace DS440N are supposed to be identical.)

frostbite
29th Mar 2009, 19:57
Not a great knowledge but I would guess the 13.8v is for the lnb, so this is the coax input point if so.

The telephone connector might be exactly that for a subscriber service. The RS232 makes it sound a bit elderly to me, but what do I know - it might be a new feature.

Good luck.

green granite
29th Mar 2009, 21:08
try here and you'll find tne manual for download

https://www.paceshop.com/shop/product/details/pdf-manual-sky-digibox-new

Coconutty
29th Mar 2009, 21:18
Or here for a few pence less !

Free and not free eBooks (http://www.the-cool-book-shop.co.uk/manuals.htm)

Isn't Google a wonderful thing ? ! - You should try it sometime :ok:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

hurn
29th Mar 2009, 22:27
The telephone connector is for the interactive services; not really a problem if you don't subscribe.

TBH, the setup is easy. Screw the satellite cable into the box, connect SCART to TV and video; Bob's your Uncle.

If the box has an old Sky viewing card, you should be able to get all the free to view channels.

If it doesn't have a viewing card, then you'll still get most free channels, but FIVE, FIVER, FIVE USA, SKY 3 and a couple of others wont work.

Jofm5
30th Mar 2009, 00:54
You can also get a freesat card from sky (Home - FREESAT from Sky (http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/)) which will give you access to all the free to air channels should a card not be present.

Although as advertised it says £73 is a one of price which includes equipment unless you cant get yours working you may just wish to call them as you can get the card by itself for £20.

Cheers

Jof

sillytwistedboy
30th Mar 2009, 07:16
A quick question. Apart from when it was initially installed, my Sky box has never been connected to a phone line. The red button appears to work so what does the phone connection actually provide?

GroundedSLF
30th Mar 2009, 08:32
The phone connection for the sjy box allows them (sky) to download "upgrades" during the night - these downloads are widly believed to have caused sound drop outs/picture freezing in some boxes (for more info go to the forums on digital spy) they have a rather good template that allowed me to get a free replacement box...

spannersatcx
30th Mar 2009, 10:42
Downloads and updates to the software are done by satellite not the phone.

frostbite
30th Mar 2009, 11:43
Just a thought. If you need to get any F-plugs (the type that fit on the coax/lnb) be very careful where you buy them.

Last time I looked, Maplin were charging an absurd £1.99 each, whereas you can get a pack of 10 on eBay for £2.49 delivered.

Saab Dastard
30th Mar 2009, 15:21
be very careful where you buy them

Good point, that. I found the same for SCART cables, and even 4-gang extension sockets. Wickes were almost precisely 1/5th the price of Currys / Dixons. :eek:

SD

Jofm5
30th Mar 2009, 16:37
The phone connection for the sjy box allows them (sky) to download "upgrades" during the night - these downloads are widly believed to have caused sound drop outs/picture freezing in some boxes (for more info go to the forums on digital spy) they have a rather good template that allowed me to get a free replacement box...

Spanner is correct the firmware downloads are performed via satellite - it would be prohibitively costly for sky otherwise.

The phone line is used for 2 reasons, the main reason is for premium services such as sky box office (pay per view films etc) and the other is if you have a multi-room setup. The sky box will require a phone line if it is a multi-room setup to validate that both boxes are at the same location. Sky requires this on multi-room to stop cards being used at different locations and only a single subscription being paid.

pmills575
30th Mar 2009, 19:58
F plugs are £1.52 (10) from screwfix!

pzu
31st Mar 2009, 12:31
This site may be a source of help

Satcure satellite dish LNBs digital TV aerial information (http://www.satcure.co.uk/index.html)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Curious Pax
31st Mar 2009, 13:48
Spanner is correct the firmware downloads are performed via satellite - it would be prohibitively costly for sky otherwise.

The phone line is used for 2 reasons, the main reason is for premium services such as sky box office (pay per view films etc) and the other is if you have a multi-room setup. The sky box will require a phone line if it is a multi-room setup to validate that both boxes are at the same location. Sky requires this on multi-room to stop cards being used at different locations and only a single subscription being paid.

Not sure about the multiroom aspect - the phone connection to our Sky box in our bedroom wasn't convenient, so as soon as the installation chap left we removed it, and in the 9 months since it has caused no problem. The one downstairs is hooked up to the phone line still.

If you go for the £20 card that Jofm5 mentions then you don't need a phone line at all - we got one when in Holland and didn't want to use the phone connection as you aren't supposed to have them outside the UK, and it was never an issue. On that tariff as well as the BBC/ITV/Ch4/CH5 channels and their subsidiaries (Fiver, FiveUS, ITV2/3/4 etc) you also get loads of shopping and religious channels - enjoy!!!

Get yourself a Sky dish from eBay, along with a satellite signal tester, and using direction/angle readily obtained via Google fix it to your house. As mentioned connect a co-ax from the LNB on the dish to the box, and a Scart from box to TV, and away you go.