PDA

View Full Version : Volcanoes and helicopters

GeorgeMandes
29th Mar 2009, 03:18
In Alaska, we have had a series of volcanic eruptions of Mt. Redoubt since Monday. Today we went to Kenai in a Long Ranger, to fetch a fixed wing, mindful of the wind direction, since Mt. Redoubt is just across Cook Inlet from Kenai.

After we got back to Homer, a buddy emailed this picture of another eruption later this afternoon:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/DSC_0498_01.jpg

Shortly thereafter, this Air Log 105 landed in Kenai. Apparently they got caught by the eruption, and had to fly through an ash cloud. Must have been an exciting ride:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/DSC_0551.jpg

unstable load
29th Mar 2009, 16:50
Those boys shoud tilt a glass at their guardian angels if they went through the cloud in that! Turbines do not like volcanic ash much as experienced by the heavy drivers up in nosebleed territory, so they were extremely fortunate in my opinion.
A GOOD chemical recovery wash as a minimum and possibly compressor visual at least.

Winch-control
29th Mar 2009, 17:17
Or maybe they should fit wiper blades? :ok:

B Sousa
29th Mar 2009, 17:23
and had to fly through an ash cloud.

Nobody HAS to fly through anything. Getting caught means you should not have been there in the first place. These things are not that sudden. Remember Illiama a few years ago? Its going to be expensive on those engines..

P.S. I am envious of anyone who lives in Homer. Keep the lights on for me.

twinstar_ca
29th Mar 2009, 17:53
reminiscent of mt st helen's as well... :eek:

inmate
30th Mar 2009, 03:18
Looks like the Dog got caught? EB or the newbee?

The red zone on Mt St Helens, 3 minute warning, pack your bags boys, I'm otta here. Should have been in the T/R blade and compressor sales. What a dog and pony show that was.

I'll take Palmer over the KP. So turn the lights out chaps.

Have a safe one, and only a very light dusting of ash here.

chequePilot
30th Mar 2009, 03:35
Sandy, could that 355 have encountered ash near Bravo Platform last week? He's now down to 7 lives. Talk about luck!:ok:Did you see the photo?

GeorgeMandes
4th Apr 2009, 17:47
While we are away in the lower 48, the volcano erupted again this morning, just as it was declared less active yesterday. The ash cloud hit our town, Homer, and was preceded by lightning.

Here is an interesting pirep from a 212 up the road in Kenai. VA = volcanic ash for those not familiar.

ENA UUA /OV ENA315015 /TM 1715 /FL010 /TP B212 /SK CAVU /TB NEG /RM LGT VA IN COCKPIT AFTER OPENING DOOR FOR PHOTO