PDA

View Full Version : Video driver & assigning sounds

Agaricus bisporus
28th Mar 2009, 12:39
Excuse if these are dumb questions. I'm not an expert computer fixer.

Question 1
My old desktop has a Celeron processor and uses Wimdows XP. I've recently bought a flat screen which only gives lousy definition, large text size and overruns the screen. The computer has no video card so (I'm told) uses the motherboard's video driver instead. Driver detective says there is no video driver installed. Motherboard is MSI 651 962L. When I try to download drivers from the MSI disk I get a message saying Device Information file missing. I've also had a message saying Stack error.

Any clues? (I know its old and so on, but it is useful as a back up)

Question 2
Because I'm a lousy typist I keep hitting the Caps Lock and it's blooDY ANNOYING TO GET HALF WAY DOWN A MESSAGE AND DISCOVER YOU HAve to redo it! I'm sure I've seen a way to assign a beep to a particular keystroke but can I find it when I need it? This one is Office07/Vista

Cheers!

Bushfiva
28th Mar 2009, 12:50
Find the screen resolution of your new monitor: you're looking for numbers like 1024x768, 1280x1024 etc., rather than a screen size in inches.

Then, right-click on an empty part of your Windows desktop. Click "Properties". Click on the "Settings" tab. Look at the "Screen resolution" slider, and move it to match the resolution of the monitor.

Report back and tell us if that fixed it.

Agaricus bisporus
28th Mar 2009, 13:10
Sorry, I thought that "only gives lousy definition..." would have explained that.

No, any more than 800 x 600 = blurred, flickering and unreadable, message says input not supported.

Oh, and screen is Acer 193w and came as ex demo with no disk.

Bushfiva
28th Mar 2009, 13:58
Does the slider show 1440x900? If not, what is the highest resolution it shows? If it does show 1440x900, click "Advanced", "Monitor" tab, change screen refresh rate to 75Hz.

Saab Dastard
28th Mar 2009, 14:03
Go to the MSI (http://www.msi.com) and Acer (http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html) websites, search for your specific products and download the appropriate drivers.

Install the drivers and off you go.

SD

tony draper
28th Mar 2009, 14:14
Sounds like you are booting to the basic window VGA driver not the driver for the onboard graphic chip,
Having trouble with a MSI motherboard meself at the mo,it it does not seem to want to run any graphic card in the PCI Express slot.

Agaricus bisporus
28th Mar 2009, 18:44
Saab, spoonerist or not you've not read my post! I said I'd tried that.

I CANNOT activate downloaded drivers as the system says "device info file missing", WTF is a device info file, and how might I reinstate it?

Acer do not list drivers pre Vista - and all other driver websites seem constipated with driver detective or similar rubbish that is impossible to get past, so snookered there too.

Anyway, what of making my caps lock key go bleep? Help!

Saab Dastard
28th Mar 2009, 18:52
No, what you said was:

When I try to download drivers from the MSI disk

Since when has a disk been a website? :confused:

SD

tony draper
28th Mar 2009, 20:34
This is the website for MSI motherboard drivers,look up your motherboard and find out what onboard graphic chip you have,try downloading another set of drivers for same.
good luck
MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD. (http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodarchive&maincat_no=1)

Keef
29th Mar 2009, 00:58
I don't bother with a CAPS LOCK beep. I ran a little utility that disabled Caps Lock altogether. The key now acts as another shift key.

Just run this registry key (http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_caps_lock/disable_caps_lock.reg).

It works with Windows XP and Windows 7, so I suspect will do with Vista, too.

Agaricus bisporus
29th Mar 2009, 13:19
The MSI website quotes the following for my motherboard

Video
• Built-in Real 256 bit 2D/3D graphics engine
Will this run a modern LCD screen?

Tony D , thanks for the tips.

Saab. No, on second thoughts, just forget it.

tony draper
29th Mar 2009, 13:26
There may be a setting in your bios to enable or disable the onboard graphics if you were to have a third party graphic card in one of the PCI slot might be worth a look.
Not that familiar with LCD monitors but I imagine they would be capable of more than just basic VGA resolution.

jimtherev
29th Mar 2009, 14:35
1. In Post 1 you said you'd recently bought the screen. Do you still have the old one? Does the pc still work with this?

2. A cursory Google for MSI 651/962L seems only to offer drivers for W98 / ME. Advice is "Unload drivers from Microsoft Website" Worth a look?

Agaricus bisporus
31st Mar 2009, 11:31
I have a selection of drivers that should work, but as I've said before they do not know where to load.

The installshield wizard starts, but soon says, "The system cannot detect the device, ps confirm the device is configuredprperly and restart the setup"

Is it saying it cannot detect the motherboard, or just the on-board video bit, but either way, what to do?

Sprogget
31st Mar 2009, 11:38
Try another tack. Click start, then right click my computer. Choose manage from the popup box & then choose device manager.

Locate your video device, it will be listed on a tab named display adapters. Double click that tab, find the video adapter & from there, right click it & choose update driver.

Either use one of the driver files you already have & if that doesn't work, choose update driver automatically. Windows will search online for a driver & install it if it finds one.

FWIW, never again with MSI. Nice enough products, terrible software & support.