PDA

View Full Version : Living in another country than your home base?

cyberboy
28th Mar 2009, 11:12
Is it possible to live in another country than your home base? For example if I go working for ryanair in the future and my home base will be Stansted, while I live in The Netherlands. Is that possible and if the answer is yes how do you guys do that?

HM001
28th Mar 2009, 13:01
Yes is possible. You would need to be available at your base during your rostered period so would need to stay nearby but on your days off you can be at home in the Netherlands and then fly back to base when your due back.

cyberboy
28th Mar 2009, 13:10
Isn`t that very expensive to fly between your work and home? And were do you stay at the time you are at work?

HM001
28th Mar 2009, 13:16
Well some airline offer to reposition you, some don't and you would have to pay for the cost of the ticket between your base and your home yourself.

Where would you stay? wherever you can find. Some airlines may or may not have agreements with local hotels etc so crew can get cheaper prices.

All depends on for whom an from where you fly.

leeds 65
28th Mar 2009, 13:19
Im based in the UK and live in Ireland.

You can jumpseat to and from work for free,medicals(i do mine in the UK) and sim sessions.

5 on 4 off roster.Spend 5 days in an apartment close to the airport(works out way cheaper than b and b and you save on food etc and living in your own place is nicer then b and b living) .Then i J/S straight home for off days,works out well

Because of the J/S to and from work ,the 4 days off isnt really 4 full days,maybe 3 and half with half a day travelling to work and home.

Alann
28th Mar 2009, 13:23
Just a quick question regarding that: don't the airlines usually ask you to be able to commute to your base within 90 or 120 minutes?

leeds 65
28th Mar 2009, 13:29
Yeah that is when you are working,not relevant on your OFF days.

I rent an apart where i work very close to the airport(walking) for the 5 days ON, then you can go to your home, which could be anywhere, for OFF days.

Alann
28th Mar 2009, 13:36
Alright, so it means that you need an address close to your base to comply with that.

BelArgUSA
28th Mar 2009, 13:58
Living in a country, and based in another...
At one time, was based in New York JFK, or Miami, and lived in Brussels.
And in other days, I was based in Jeddah, and lived in Los Angeles.
I recall a buddy of mine, flying in Korea, and living near Malaga...
Commuting from UK to NL... sounds like impossible.
I admit, no too many buses or trams between the two.
Consider a canoe, and paddle yourself from Rotterdam to the Thames...
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

ONCALL
30th Mar 2009, 04:40
I hope jumpseating becomes available at most airlines in EU. Right now I hear that it is almost impossible to jumpseat which is way of life in the US. You can live anywhere (within the states) and commute to work.

daraireland
1st Apr 2009, 19:48
Any reason why big airlines (European) have such strict conditions on jump seating?

Ryanair seem to have a very relaxed policy on it.
It would make re locating pilots a lot easier and painless if JS was an option.

newty74
11th Apr 2010, 03:43
I've met and spoken to BA & iberia pilots, they take american/canadian guys jumpseating.