PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrows RAF today

TAC Queen
27th Mar 2009, 19:12
With the government looking at modernising the monarchy is not now the perfect time to bring the RAF into the 21st century?
I have spent 17 years with the Royal Air Force and I am 4th generation British military. I have seen the RAF change completely and have spoken with very senior officers down to new recruits. I have had ground jobs, Ops jobs and completed flying tours. I have worked on Ops in support of Ground assets and have cried for the loss of friends and colleagues. I feel I have experienced a great deal the RAF has to offer and so I feel I post this thread from a position of relative authority.

Therefore I feel the RAF needs to modernise to bring its public profile into sharp contrast to the other services. One way to facilitate this change I feel would be to embrace a new RAF theme tune. I have searched for a tune that sums up our abilities as a fighting force and as one of the world’s premium Air Forces.

So after months of searching I have finally found it. Its modern (ish) and it somehow manages to convey the way we work and the leadership we receive through the medium of music. Please listen to the whole track and ignore the video as it’s the only link I could find (in 2 minutes). I can honestly see a flight of the Royal Air Force marching past Buck house with the band of the Royal Air Force accompanying them playing this tune. Especially if our Lords and masters could lead the parade although that would mean changing how we march and this may be a step too far too soon. It makes my heart beat faster and brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.

Some of you will not understand why have chosen this track. But I honestly think that most of you currently serving in all of the services and even some jonnie foreigners will immediately see the genius of my discovery. If we all agree maybe we can start a petition.

For those of you that will pick on the spelling and grammar and totally miss the point of this thread I would like to dedicate the music to you also.
To everyone on Ops stay safe come home soon.
Happy Christmas im off to open another bottle of wine:ok:

YouTube - The Benny Hill Show Theme Tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpc5_3B5xdk)
:O:O:ugh::eek:

ghostie
27th Mar 2009, 20:28
Lmao................:D:ok:

Brian N
27th Mar 2009, 20:42
First timer here, so go easy

Left the RAF 4 years ago after serving for 22, and i must say that tune really sums up my feelings of the air force, brilliant choice:D

Pie Man
27th Mar 2009, 21:10
Inspired choice ... :D:D:ok:

barnstormer1968
27th Mar 2009, 21:33
Watched the vid a few minutes ago, and am still laughing. that is just a perfect tune.
I was green in my former career, and do not really know the modern RAF senior bods, so I would be interested to know whom in today's RAF would be the little bald bloke, and who would be Benny.
Not only is the image of a speeded up RAF parade now going round and round in my mind, even worse is that the image seems all to plausible under noo labours anti military regime.

flipster
27th Mar 2009, 21:48
Don't knock Benny Hill - he always seemed to be surrounded by a lot of well-endowed totty! (oh, and the short bald bloke - who kept getting in the way - now, he must have been 'admin/sec', surely?)

Brian N
27th Mar 2009, 22:04
Its not Benny Hill thats being knocked here......:)

Bertie Thruster
27th Mar 2009, 22:23
Very good!

IIRC, it all started going pear shaped when forced to wear the womens uniform (V necked pullovers)

Brian N
27th Mar 2009, 22:31
No, it all started going wrong with the phasing out of the battle dress!

Never wore it in my time in the RAF, but did when i was a "spacey" in the mid to late 70's:8

collbar
28th Mar 2009, 09:38
I know an AT Captain who has the Benny Hill tune on his mobile when Ascot Ops ring!

ASCOT Ops Retd
28th Mar 2009, 10:13
I know an AT Captain who has the Benny Hill tune on his mobile when Ascot Ops ring!
During periods of extreme 'on-the-bus/off-the-bus' I had the classic bigtop theme conveniently to hand on my desktop (strangely, called Entry of the Gladiators). It enabled me to quickly summarise what I thought of the plan so far...

Oddly enough, I levelled-out at the rank of sgt.

Kronenburg
28th Mar 2009, 12:53
How about this...

YouTube - Laurel and Hardy Theme Tune (ORIGINAL) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNssIhS7ATc)

Old Photo.Fanatic
28th Mar 2009, 13:58
Ex RAF 1956-1971,
Spot on, Imagine AOCs Inspection,
March on to "Benny Hill",
Play Laurel and Hardy During the Parade Inspection.
Inspired!!!!!

diginagain
28th Mar 2009, 14:29
My abiding memory of my elder brother's Graduation Parade at RAF Henlow is the Central Band of the RAF's rendition of Sousa's 'Liberty Bell'.

LoeyDaFrog
28th Mar 2009, 14:48
Just Brilliant!!!

ian16th
28th Mar 2009, 18:15
I'm pleased that today's personnel still have a sense of humour, but if things are really so bad, I'm very sorry and simply pleased that I served in happier times. Though there was a cold war to worry about and a few small warmer ones. 1952-65.

Melchett01
28th Mar 2009, 18:29
Outstanding - now wandering round the house with a huge grin and making a right balls up of the decorating thinking about the well endowed totty mentioned earlier! :D

One thing though - don't you think it's a bit harsh to tar Benny with the current day RAF brush :E

Thank you for brightening up my day

Rev I. Tin
28th Mar 2009, 19:54
ASCOT Ops Retd:

Like this old chum? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g094B573iWI&feature=related)

grousehunter
28th Mar 2009, 22:37
How strange that this seems to be the un-official theme tune of many fleet ops! My skipper on the mighty hunter had this as his ring tone when ops rang also.......saying that his flight deck had it as well when the back end started to come up with better ideas!!!!:ok:

dead_pan
29th Mar 2009, 11:45
Very funny - question is, would you all be able to march at quadruple-time to keep up with the music?

Benny Hill did have his knockers...

obnoxio f*ckwit
29th Mar 2009, 16:26
This was my ringtone for work:

YouTube - the muppets show intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_aG5MzPVM)

Winch-control
29th Mar 2009, 16:34
Benny Hill is the epitomy of the present day government. Very apt and true to the point. The theme tune should be the pre-curser to the next mil released vid on u tube! go get em!

Kite Runner
29th Mar 2009, 20:09
Hmmm.

deeply insulting to all of those who serve. We work in a circus? Our efforts belong in a Big Top? Think again Einstein. Think about those who have sacrificed and those who are prepared to sacrifice. You spent spent how long serving and you still miss the point? Per Ardua?

TAC Queen
29th Mar 2009, 22:23
If there is anything I have learnt over the past 17 years is that most people have a since of humour and enjoy a good chuckle, especially at ourselves.

I can only assume KR (and I’ll bet you will correct me) that either you have no sense of humour or you work in an ivory tower.

I suspect though it’s just that you’re a bit of a Tw@t.:ok:

To all those people who cracked a smile and posted a witty comment I’d like to thank you. Your posts made my weekend. I can go back to work in a better mood than when I left and resume pushing Sh%t up hill.:O:ok:

Maybe before someone makes a rash decision or decides to re invent the wheel they will hear a little tune in their head and think it all the way through.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Ho Hum hear comes Monday and the beginning of the Z local faff.:eek:

Whaaa newark
29th Mar 2009, 23:32
Tac Queen

Well, I have never been so insulted in all my life. If you think this sort of thing is funny then you are sadly mistaken.

I think I can speak for the silent majority in this matter and point out to you that you, sir, are a buffoon. And not even one of the cute interesting one you see one nature programs!

I would be amazed if anyone in today's Air Force would find this funny. I find it hard to believe that you are really in the RAF at all. Why you people, who clearly have no idea about the modern RAF, feel you can come one to this site and bitch and moan is beyond me.

Tac Queen if you really are in the Air Farce then you should be put it to a canoe and sent down the river. This really is beyond the pale.:mad:

TAC Queen
30th Mar 2009, 17:20
Point taken Mr Newark

However I would like to point out that it’s a kayak not a canoe, which I am more that capable of paddling thank you very much. :cool:

Also I strongly suggest you take your post and ram it in your intake as this will cause no harm to you or your dilapidated aircraft. You sir have no sense of humour or the whit to understand it. You are a sad excuse for a man and the last operation you were involved in was the board game, which you sir lost by dropping the funny bone. A bone you are obviously missing.:=

Good night sir.:*

P.S. Your house next week and I’ll bring the cheese cake and wine.:ok:

navibrator
30th Mar 2009, 18:33
To all those with no sense of humour, just remember, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined! Lighten up a bit and see the funny side. I suppose you do not like cartoon booklets of the RAF?

Whaaa newark
31st Mar 2009, 00:28
Tac Queen, you sir, don't know the difference between a kayak and a canoe. If you think that you inviting yourself around to my house for cheese cake and wine is going to, in anyway, make up for what you have said about the ROYAL AIR FORCE just proves you are a solid 9 caret gold galah (yes I do mean a Rose-breasted Cockatoo).

I do have a few issue with you previous post:

A. My aircraft is a not 'dilapidated'.

B. What do you mean I 'have no sense of humour or the whit to understand it'? If I have no sense of humour WHY would I need the whit to understand something I don't have?

C. I DO have a sense of humour anyway - Ha Ha Ha - SEE.

D. You said I am a 'sad excuse for a man'. How do you know I am a man?

E. How dare you question my operational effectiveness? I'll have you know I have medals!!! I have never dropped a funny bone := in my life (I have dropped other things though, I'll give you that).

I think I have now shown, without a shadow of doubt, you are a jumped up little man without the 'whit' to paddle a canoe, in fact a canoe is to good for the likes of you.

Sir, the best thing I think you can do is issue a full written apology to everyone you have insulted and offended at the earliest opportunity.

and they all lived happierly ever after.

THE END :D

moosemaster
31st Mar 2009, 12:47
I've obviously missed something here....

Every decent SNCO and above worth their salt knows that when this sort of thing stops, THEN you have a problem.

It is in the very nature of service personel to take the p1s$ out of everything. It is a coping mechanism, something fostered over weeks, months and years of sitting around waiting for the next cluster:mad: to be decided upon.

When the banter stops, be afraid, be very afraid.

Winch-control
31st Mar 2009, 16:08
Very true moosemaster, but me thinks ossifers might be involved here..and we all know what that means...ahem total sense of humour.....failure! No surprises!

FlapJackMuncher
31st Mar 2009, 16:29
It's 'in fact a canoe is too good'.
HTH :O

TAC Queen
31st Mar 2009, 18:18
Dear WN

In answer to your to your post, just how may of your dilapidated aircraft are serviceable??? :confused:

By replying you have shown that you have no sense of humour or you are very dim witted. I suspect both. :ooh::}

If I didn’t have a sense of humour I wouldn’t have started this thread, would I now.

Medals, medals, don’t start me on about medals. I have a big gold one.:O

Canoe or kayak I doubt very much whether you would know the difference. Or even that kayak comes from the Native American words for left and right. Kay meaning left and ak meaning right. There you go you have learnt something today you must be very tired now.

Also I can paddle a canoe using the standard kay and ak strokes. Speaking of stokes you sir are one. :mad:Just to prove a point here is my home movie of me canoeing
YouTube - Kayaking in Bikini with my Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCQtUMnILw)

See me
I see you
:E

taxydual
31st Mar 2009, 19:35
15 all. New balls please.

Whaaa newark
31st Mar 2009, 20:28
TQ

Well I'll take that as an apology then, at last you have decided to be a man about it, it was long over due. I must say it wasn't very grovelling though.

Just to let you know that I know that you know that I know that you are known as a very humorous person. People are always laughing at you :ok: Also by pointing out that my replying proves that I have no sense of humour actually proves you have no sense of humour. So put that in your canoe and smoke it. I also find it a bit gauling that you have decided to hide behind Native American words. It's sad really. :(

FlapJackMuncher

I'm sorry I didn't realise that the was spelling police where monitoring this forum.

ProM
31st Mar 2009, 21:03
The suggestion of the Monty Python theme tune reminded me of how hard I found it to keep a straight face whenever the band struck up that tune at Sandhurst.

I appreciate that as an ex-pongo I am in the wrong forum but it is generally the Army who take on the peacekeeping duties so it seems an appropriate time to step in
to this thread

talk_shy_tall_knight
31st Mar 2009, 22:17
...and much was the whooshing on the forum this night.

TAC Queen
1st Apr 2009, 06:35
Mr/Miss Waaaa

Is that the best you can do, are you gay or what. (Not there is anything wrong with being gay. In fact on my Sqn it’s now a BTR).:eek:

My dog puts up a stronger fight when I take him canoeing.

Come on if you think you’re hard enough.:ouch::oh:

P.S. what time are we coming around and do you want red or white??:E

Whaaa newark
1st Apr 2009, 13:20
Tac Queenie

If you think that I am going to let you come to my house and ply me with wine so you can for fill one on your Sqn BTRs, you are madder than I thought you were after reading your incoherent rantings. :yuk:

ProM
1st Apr 2009, 13:57
...and much was the whooshing on the forum this night.

bugger

eta apparently bugger is too short a message. So

BEagle
1st Apr 2009, 14:38
Not so.

TAC Queen
1st Apr 2009, 14:51
Oh come now WN
I’m aircrew, I’m gorgeous:}

You’re not made of wood
Your eye’s aren’t painted on.

kluge
1st Apr 2009, 16:06
who cares - she has a nice a$$

Crromwellman
1st Apr 2009, 16:24
I do remember being responsible for training the guard of honour for the AOCs inspection at RAF (name not disclosed to protect the guilty) and I was asked by the bandmaster to select a suitable tune for the AOC to inspect the guard. Net result AOC went round the guard to the "Wombling Song". As someone so rightly said, if you can't take a joke you should never have joined. The Army response was usually: "A joke's a joke but (four letter word) a pantomime!! My case rests

Wensleydale
1st Apr 2009, 17:45
Liberty Bell (Monty Python) was the Squadron March for Green Squadron at OCTU Henlow and many graduations have marched on and off to it (but without the accompanying falling boot). And yes, I include myself. Amusing at the time, but at least it is memorable. What did Blue, Red and yellow Sqn's march on to? Can they remember?

W (Boozy Dragon Lives).

PS. As good background arrivals music on the check in frequency radio via the IPOD, I quite enjoy "Don't Fear The Reaper". A nice rhythm and feel to it for first contact I feel.

PPS. In the days of 360 Sqn, the Beach Boys jamming tape was also good news - kept one awake during hours of Voicetel.