PDA

View Full Version : No audio from laptop

27mm
26th Mar 2009, 09:51
I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista. Up to last night, no problems with audio from either headset or speakers while running programs, playing games or watching DVDs. However, now there is no sound from either headset or speakers. Have been through the Dell Troubleshoot procedure to no avail. Any ideas out there? Many thanks.

Avtrician
26th Mar 2009, 11:20
Daughter had a similar problem, I think she downloaded and re installed the audio drivers

27mm
26th Mar 2009, 11:32
Avtrician, G'Day Mate, thanks for the tip, will try this....

Parapunter
26th Mar 2009, 12:02
Before you do that, check the sound device in the control panel. Before you do that, check that you haven't turned the volume off by accident. Did that my self once, was trying new soundcards before I realised.:ugh:

First principles, a good place to start.

Bushfiva
26th Mar 2009, 12:03
Is this the one with the audio keys along the front, and have you accidentally pressed the mute key?

27mm
26th Mar 2009, 13:24
Hi, many thanks, but have checked the obvious stuff like the mute button on the front and the sound icon in Control Panel.

Background Noise
26th Mar 2009, 19:13
Or even sillier - which I have done:O - is there an actual volume control wheel somewhere which has got turned down? Took me ages to find that one!

27mm
30th Mar 2009, 10:44
Hello All, fixed it! Removed, then re-installed the audio drivers from the Dell-supplied CDs that came with the laptop. Many thanks for the tips and have a virtual beer on me!

CocoCue
30th Mar 2009, 10:56
Glad to hear it's sorted. I use to have this problem with Vista all the time, but strange to hear Vista does this.

Also, to add on: In the event of losing your CDs you can always download the PC's drivers from the official Dell website. :)

27mm
31st Mar 2009, 09:39
Good point, CocoCue. Last night I decided to check out the laptop's sound system with Battlestar Galactica (I bought Series 1-4 in a boxed set while the Memsahib was looking the other way) - cosmic!