PDA

View Full Version : First time in Africa

Cecco
25th Mar 2009, 19:32
Hi to all, I fly on a citation jet in Europe and in May, together with the owner, we will be touring northern Africa for a business trip (e.g Marocco, Algeria, Congo (Brazzaville), always flying in the major cities. Any advice for someone who has only been flying in Europe so far (btw, all flight planning will be done by an external company so that's not an issue)? What do I have to expect?

gabon flyer 2
26th Mar 2009, 09:47
Hi there!

Here are a fews things you have to keep in mind:
-always have a reasonnable cash amount with you;euro and USD but never tell anybody ....
-never tell local people that you have a dead line as they will use it against you...
-they are not idiot they know the system and the clock is working for them
-time and ponctuality is an issue in africa ,best thing to do is to advise your owner or pax and accept it or your life will be a nightmare....Ex:airport can close in 5 min even if you have your start clearance as the president airplane has checked in the frequency....
-make sure you do have the overfly authorisation and keep a copy on board,always have a flight plan copy with you as the original might be lost...
-as much as you can try to subcontract fuel with a local company to speed up the process

It is just a start so if you need some more heads up let me know

PS: the rest is pur fun and i wish you will enjoy flying out there....most expat are very good people and will do their best to help you;very friendly people

Happy contrails

Rich Pitch Power
26th Mar 2009, 10:45
Hi Cecco,

Gabon Flyer 2 has pretty much laid it out for you. Keeping one step ahead of the locals will make life easy and Africa is a rubber stamp domain. 'Losing' track of time will make your life easier. You will get there/get through when it happens.

Also watch your back, I have no idea what your business in Africa is but if your mind (for example) tells you to keep moving or walking, do so. The 'locals' are not to be trusted (a generalisation but you have to tar all with the same brush). If it is not nailed down and padlocked it will walk and walk very fast!

If you have never been to Africa this trip could be the most fun you have had in a long time. The parties are legendary and you may end up hooked, I left Africa in 1994 at the age of 20 after growing up there. I scored my first turboprop job in North Africa at age 33 and suddenly I can't get enough of the place.....go figure????

RPP :ok:

V1... Ooops
26th Mar 2009, 12:25
Cecco:

Talk to your fellow countrymen at REGA (LSZH, at the approach end of 27) or at Zimex (in Glattbrugg) and they will give you all the information you need to know. Both of these operators have great experience in Africa.

My personal experience has been that Morocco is a delightful place. Algeria can be a bit more stressful, especially for someone used to Swiss efficiency, and as for Congo - well, things just don't get any better as you go south on that continent, let's put it that way.

Seriously, though, talk to the folks at REGA and Zimex. Buy someone lunch and you will get a million dollars worth of good advice.

Cecco
26th Mar 2009, 17:33
Hello fellow African aviators, thank you for the input so far! Flying to Africa will be a change from the nasty European winter! Cheers Cecco

NielZAR
26th Mar 2009, 18:02
Enjoy :ok:

Der absolute Hammer
27th Mar 2009, 05:55
Make sure that you do extremely thorough pre flights external checks with flashlight as necessary.

Habari
27th Mar 2009, 06:57
Make sure you have US$ in small denominations as in Africa you will hear the words " no change" very often.
Thunderstorms rise much higher and are more severe than in Europe.
Don't go home with any diseases you didn't bring with you!

choobee
27th Mar 2009, 07:49
Not only take small change in US dollar, but make sure the bills are no older than 2005. Many African Country will not accept them.

Rat Catcher
27th Mar 2009, 14:57
Make that 2006 for USD especially if you have to part with any 100 bills! Expected the unexpected :E:E:E and above all....enjoy the trip!:ok:

atpcliff
30th Mar 2009, 15:40
Hi!

I have been flying about a week out of NBO. The controllers are sometimes VERY difficult to understand. Sometimes give us the wrong freqs, or the radios are weak...the capt (33 yrs in Africa) can hear what they are saying, and I am totally lost. He now has me flying the plane 100% of the time so he can do all the radios and coordination. It is also weird for me flying out of radar coverage.

The worst is on departure at NBO they give you you're IFR clearance and takeoff clearance all at once. It is DIFFERENT than your flight plan, and you have to repeat back the whole thing and take off right away at the same time. Just flying the plane is nice...

Oh, we have also had to taxi carefully to avoid potholes and taxiway destruction caused by Antonov's taxiing where they shouldn't have (Juba, Sudan).

cliff
NBO

B Sousa
31st Mar 2009, 01:20
Good to see a Cheesehead down in the Dark Continent. You shall soon learn that things are much different. Follow that Captain (33 years in Africa) around like he is your lost father. Dont eat or drink anything he wont touch and dont fall in love with a local. She will kill you slowly.....
If you survive the job long enough for your eppaulettes to get faded, you have passed the test and can then tell others how great it is.
Build some time and keep looking for the ultimate flying job. Only one on this forum has it, right 4hp??

atpcliff
31st Mar 2009, 18:42
Hi!

The next pilot inbound here is taking a 1 year leave from Cathay to fly these old -9s.

cliff
NBO

B Sousa
31st Mar 2009, 18:48
taking a 1 year leave from Cathay to fly these old -9s.
Hmmm In todays economy, he may not be taking, but Im guessing they are giving. Hope its not who I think it is as he was very comfortable in HK...

Cecco
17th Apr 2009, 19:41
In Africa, is most of the communication done on HF? I heard that you can get by that by using SATCOM. Well, we have a satellite telephone in the aircraft but that is not really a replacement for the radios, right?

Our citation is not equipped with HF. Doing so would cost 50΄000-60΄000 USD. Are there handheld HF Receivers/Transmitters like for VHF available?

Cheers
Cecco

atpcliff
18th Apr 2009, 18:30
Hi!

Where we are operating in E. Africa, you can get by without HF. I'm pretty sure that some places it is essential-don't know if a sat-phone could make up for it.

I'd study the Jepps closely for the places U R going, and try to get info via the net.

Good luck!

cliff
NBO

Cecco
18th Apr 2009, 19:17
We΄ll be going to the North (Algeria, Morocco), then down to western Africa (Cameroon, Nigeria, Congo) and head back to Europe straight up North making a stopover in Chad and Lybia.

CJ750
19th Apr 2009, 17:27
Get a good handler in each destination. Some destinations a handler is mandatory. As stressed before make very good preparations through a flight planning service as far as clearances and fuel are concerned and carry a good cash float in case your fuel card is suddenly not accepted. Above all make sure you have the necessary overflight and landing clearances.

Africa can be fun as long as you do your homework and have a good service provider like Jepp or universal and do not drink the tap water or brush your teeth in tap water. A sealed bottle of water will keep you alive. I also do not have ice in my drinks in Africa north of my country.

Otherwise enjoy and fly safe

Cecco
19th Apr 2009, 19:18
Thanks for the advice. How about HF in Western/Central Africa?

slatch
20th Apr 2009, 00:31
One other thing I would suggest is checking with your planes insurance company. We hit some rocks (we think) on a runway in Africa. Took out a landing light and put some dents in the leading edge. Did not seem two serious until we got back to the US and the repairs were qouted at over $500,000 and the insurance refused to pay.

CJ750
20th Apr 2009, 04:37
You can generally get by with VHF but some stations range is not good. I am not current with the northern part of west africa but the southern part is ok on VHF. Further South HF is a must i am afraid. Oh and be careful about taking photographs on the apron. Most security personal will get very upset.............................:=:=:=

Enjoy but be careful enjoy the Sunshine and the view. WATCH OUT FOR THE NIGHT FIGHTERS:}:}:}

Cecco
20th Apr 2009, 21:48
Thanks C750, I talked to a professional flight planning service today and they confirmed that VHF is ok on our route. Will watch out for rocks when landing and I make sure that all security guards see me when taking pictures:}

scottpe
20th Apr 2009, 23:30
Would recommend Gulf Pearl for handling in Bengahzi or Tripoli, their CEO is Captain Khaliffa (good man). Maybe check their website.

CJ750
21st Apr 2009, 04:09
Try the Olympic Hotel in Brazzaville. Not bad. Had a vulture walking around the open area the last and fish eagles sitting in a tree as well. time Where are you going to in Nigeria. Also try and get a copy of the original clearances from the different countries. Some places want that instead of just a number. not always possible. Ask the services people that are doing all your overflight and lamding clearances. dont try and pay with a card try cash otherwisen credit with nthe handlers but then they add on stuff after you leave. Try and get a copy of the invoice before you leave even though iy is on credit. Multiserve in Johannesburg can help you with this and fuel. They are good.

Have fun

Cecco
5th May 2009, 18:23
Hi to all, this is the routing as it should be. One question to the African pilots. How much cash would you take with you? Any other thoughts what I should pay attention besides that what has already been said are welcome. thanks cecco

Sunday, 17. Mai 2009
06:30 EDMS (Straubing) – LGAV (Athens); flight time: 2:45, (Meeting in Athen at 10:00)
11:30 LGAV (Athenes) – OLBA (Beirut); flight time: 02:05 (Meeting at 14:00)
16:00 OLBA (Beirut) – OEDR (Dammam), flight time: 03:10, dinner: 2000???

Monday, 18. Mai 2009
08:00 Dammam – Abu Dhabi, flight time: 01:00 (Meeting in Abu Dhabi at 10:00)

18:00 Abu Dhabi – Riyadh, flight time: 01:30
(Will check if the flight Abu Dabi-Dubai is possible if required)

Tuesday, 19. Mai 2009
14:00 Riyadh – Jedda, flight time: 01:30 (Meeting um 16:00)
18:00 Jedda – Nairobi, (Jeddah-Addis Ababa 02:50, Addis Ababa-Nairobi: 02:00)

Wednesday, 20. Mai 2009
14:00 Nairobi – Entebbe(HUEN), Uganda, flight time: 01:00
19:00 Entebbe-Khartoum, flight time: 02:50

Thursday, 21. Mai 2009
17:00 Khartoum – Brazzaville, flight time: 04:45 (airport for fuel stop to be defined)

Friday, 22. Mai 2009: No flight (open)
Saturday, 23. Mai 2009: No flight (open)

Sunday, 24. Mai 2009: 17:00 Brazzaville-Libreville, flight time: 01:10

Monday, 25. Mai 2009: 17:00 Libreville-Yaounde, flight time: 00:40

Tuesday, 26. Mai 2009: 17:00 Yaounde-Lagos, flight time: 01:10

Wednesday, 27. Mai 2009: 17:00 Lagos-Bamako (Mali), flight time: 02:30

Thurday, 28. Mai 2009: 17:00 Bamako(Mali) – Rabat (Morocco), (Bamako-Nouakchott: 01:20, Nouakchott-Rabat: 02:50)

Friday, 29. Mai 2009: 15:00 Rabat (Morocco) – Straubing (Total flight time: 03:50, airport for fuel stop to be defined)

Cecco
5th May 2009, 20:25
...besides the cash question. I heard that 121.5 is frequently used in Africa for relay communication. Can anyone confirm that΄s a common practice?