PDA

View Full Version : French validation of foreign licence?

n5296s
25th Mar 2009, 15:53
Maybe not the best place for the question, but not sure where would be... has anyone managed to get a French validation of a foreign licence under their new rules? Up to a couple of years ago it was dead easy, just show up at a DGAC office with your foreign licence and medical, and leave 15 minutes later with a piece of paper. But for some reason they have now made it more complicated and in particular they now want a certificate of authenticity for the foreign licence from the issing authority (as the US does also, I understand).

However... when I asked the FAA for one their reply was, "We can only issue this at the request of the foreign authority, and directly to them." (Which makes sense, otherwise really you'd need a certificate of authenticity for the certificate of authenticity... and so on).

So, Catch 22... France wants you to supply the document, but the FAA won't give it to you, only to them. I'll call the DGAC of course, but since I wanted this for a week out there, not a lifetime, I suspect that even if it is possible at all, it will take too long to be useful.

Anyone been down this path?

Thanks,

n5296s

Piper.Classique
25th Mar 2009, 20:03
Is the foreign licence OACI/ICAO conform? With that written on it somewhere? If so you don't ned a validation.

n5296s
26th Mar 2009, 06:08
Is the foreign licence OACI/ICAO conform? With that written on it somewhere? If so you don't ned a validation.
On what basis do you say that? It's not what the DGAC website says, nor what the DGAC has told me personally in the past. I did once have such a certificate, before they changed the rules, and I'm sure they wouldn't have given it to me if they didn't think it was required.

n5296s

IO540
26th Mar 2009, 07:51
The DGAC is doing some strange schemes, especially if you are not EU resident (the usual EU restrictive practice... validate licenses/ratings for foreigners only). I sent you a PM, n5296s.

n5296s
24th Apr 2009, 22:16
An update on this... I just got the magic piece of paper. And very impressive it is too, a two page letter headed "DECISION" and reading more like an international treaty than a pilot's licence.

Last time I did it, you got a little piece of paper and it was done on the spot. Now they have to contact the FAA which takes a while, so I ended up having it sent to me after I'd already left the country (may come in handy for another trip). As it happened, the place I was planning to fly was booked solid while I was there anyway, so it wouldn't have made a difference.

The FAA thing is interesting. The French regulations require you to enclose with your application a confirmation from the FAA concerning your status. The FAA were very helpful with me but explained that they can only send this directly to the foreign authority. Hmm... catch 22, I thought. But the DGAC guys in Nice were extremely helpful and when I explained the problem they said, "OK, we'll fax the FAA".

So, now I can legally fly day VFR in an F-reg in France, solo or with passengers, for a couple of years when I'll have to go through the process again.

For anyone who's in the same situation, I'd recommend doing it by mail a few weeks before you plan to be there. The DGAC will mail the papers to a foreign address, so no problem there.

n5296s