PDA

View Full Version : Question about Redcliffe (YRED)

Ovation
25th Mar 2009, 06:42
Anyone able to comment (good or bad) about Redcliffe Aerodrome?

I'm interested in a hangar for sale there, and would appreciate any information at all - even rumors.

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Mar 2009, 07:50
Have only ever been a visitor, but ............

Good
1) Reasonably handy to the northern suburbs of Brisbane
2) Bitumen runway
3) Lights
4) BP bowser with carnet swipe
5) Engineering shops on the field
6) You can talk to BN Centre/Radar/Approach on the ground - for IFR departures
7) Token gesture security only
8) Chuckles sometimes hangs out there!

Bad
1) On the same CTAF frequency as Caboolture and Caloundra - so its hard to get word in edgewise
2) Very limited visitor aircraft parking
3) Landing/parking fees
4) Perpetual x-wind
5) Home to RAA aircraft
6) No rental cars
7) They get really pissed when you park your aeroplane in a "No parking" area
8) Chuckles sometimes hangs out there!

That's all I can think of for now!

Dr :8

ozzieausterdriver
25th Mar 2009, 08:03
You forgot to mention Pat Harrington is based there.........!!!

Ovation
25th Mar 2009, 08:25
ozzieausterdriver wrote:

You forgot to mention Pat Harrington is based there.........!

Who is Pat Harrington when he's at home? Is that good or bad?

Chimbu chuckles
25th Mar 2009, 08:48
Hey Doc I can think of another negative - the asking price for a tin shed on someone else's land.:hmm:

Pat is an aircraft restorer of note - especially Austers and such like.

drunkensailor
25th Mar 2009, 08:57
Is in a very good spot but that is leading to the last 5-10 years getting very busy.
bad point #9, the neighbors don't like noise and will let you know.:(

djpil
25th Mar 2009, 09:25
I visit Redcliffe occasionally (will be up there this weekend). Aero Club is friendly. Gerry Dick and Bob Tait too.
Mark's hangar is a good one.
Generally, a pleasant part of the world.

VH-XXX
25th Mar 2009, 09:28
What's so bad about the RAA aircraft there Mr. Doctor? You might one day end up flying one too when you can't get a medical :rolleyes:

Have a mate in a hangar there if you want info from him PM me.

I'm led to believe that it's a rich persons airport and if you don't have an EC120 parked next to your SR22GT then you are a nobody.

ozaggie
25th Mar 2009, 12:17
Learnt to fly there with Spyros, Chris, Roger,and the rest of the guys and gals, Hey lizzie, the monster from Kangaroo Point is calling, had a ball, will never forget my intro to club flying. BEST FUN I have ever had. Just wish I could get amongst Damien's Cinema gear again. Hope some of the regular criminals see this, would love to catch up sometime. PS. wouldnt Know **** about the place now, havent been there for 24 years

Jabawocky
25th Mar 2009, 12:20
Or a Turbo Saratoga to go with your PC12!......... And his Mrs who flies them is a hot sort too.......... and I think the Doc knows who I am talking about! If I had not sucked up to her he may not have had a spot to park!......after the aforementioned issue!:E

Ohhhh and its become a bit too over priced in my opinion by about 50%!:eek:

Chuck said it all...........old shed on someone elses land....Think YSBK and the Clambacks. All is good until....!

PyroTek
25th Mar 2009, 12:36
lots and lots of helicopter ops!
almost constant crosswind
It's a nice aerodrome, I enjoy it, not really intimate with the politics, was just a student there.

I agree with the doc, about chuckles!

CHAIRMAN
25th Mar 2009, 12:36
Hi aggie, know/knew all of those guys/gals you speak of - and I'm still there. My god, has it been that long:ugh:

Peter Fanelli
25th Mar 2009, 12:38
the neighbors don't like noise and will let you know

Sounds like it needs a few C185's then :E

PA39
25th Mar 2009, 12:45
:ok:Redcliffe is a great airstrip. Its a little like how it used to be....you can walk around unaccosted, and yak to other pilots and interesting people. I had a twin hangared there for a couple of years and never had any trouble with anyone....council included. Paid my bond and recieved a key to the locks (which are never locked) and used to go down for the whole day and either fly my bird or polish her or just watch guys doing circuits and bumps. Sure there can be a x/wind, but so what? sure there is/was sometimes a little congestion but thats good experience. Yep there is a PC12 owned by a guy (with a good sort wife) Jab!! but he worked B hard for all he has gained AND lost, ditto for the Saratoga.....both took huge risks and had a win. Don't hold sour grapes until you meet these fellas.

Only ever found good blokes at YRED, and if and when i purchase another blow torch for my wallet (twin) I'll definitely buy a hangar at Redcliffe. Go for it mate, you won't regret it.

Jabawocky
25th Mar 2009, 13:26
Gooday PA39

No sour grapes at all. They seem like lovely folk! In fact so nice they gave up the PC12 spot for the FTDK to park in for a few hours.

He pulled up beside other parked aircraft and was given an earfull from some rude and ignorant idiot on a pushbike who had not the manners or brains to ask polotely not to park there...............despite many other more permanent parkings! :ugh:

So the lady and her hsuband, and I can not think of theor names were on their way up north in the PC12, and I knew what the drill was, so I went and asked if they would mind, she said no problem at all!

Warwick flies that machine a bit too I believe.... and they were looking for a jet, but maybe mining has curtailed that expenditure.

Good on them I say!

J:ok:

drunkensailor
25th Mar 2009, 22:40
Didn't know Wok was flying the PC-12 too
Is it true the mob at RAC have got their mitts on the PC-12? is it for training or just for their own filthy pleasures?

Jabawocky
26th Mar 2009, 01:26
I do not know anything about the RAC having access to it at all. I doubt it. But you never know!

beaver_rotate
26th Mar 2009, 02:05
Does the spoken PC12 have anything to do with the 'similarly painted' C208 that is in brownsville as we speak???

BN APP 125.6
26th Mar 2009, 03:59
Good spot.

The RAA aircraft are professionally flown generally despite FTDK's fears!

Caution taxiing near all the HELO ops - that would be more my concern.

Abide by the suggested NAP - note that you can't fly in after 10pm (ERSA).

Keep your BCST short - the CTAF is ridiculously busy with CAB adjoining - far too many unnecessary TX IMHO.

Good access to Gateway Motorway and Northern Subs of BN.

The councils have recently amalgamated - the Redcliffe Council was very pro the airport - not sure what the view of the Moreton Bay Council is going to be.

There is a new access fence going up around the field which will require a swipe card or similar (I believe).

Airstrip is 853m (07/25) with constant crosswinds - in fact I found it hard to nail my approach and landing when there wasn't a crosswind as it looked very strange!

Look in to the following if you are going to buy there:

Leasehold provisions for annual % increases.
Lease remaining and Option remaining.
Power / Water on? And access charge.
Airport Access charge.
Rates Charge.
Fire Levy.
Cost of $20M Public Liability Insurance.
Building Insurance (Cyclone Rated? Including Doors?)
ROI.
*Note that the leased area includes the Apron area setback (6m?) - which you pay for.

All in all, a top spot - and will always be in demand.

ScarabofRa
26th Mar 2009, 05:32
I'm currently training here at Redcliffe! It's a beautiful spot, (great scenery!), it's close to everything in the area and everyone is very friendly and professional.:ok: