PDA

View Full Version : DC-3s AUCTIONED TODAY

Fantome
25th Mar 2009, 01:29
Slattery Auctions (http://www.slatteryauctions.com.au/auction.asp?id=TYRFYQ)

Slattery Auction results. All passed in. Bids went to -

VH-SBL $100,000

VH-DNA $20,000

VH-MIN $25,000

VH-BPN $15,000

VH-PWN $10,000

VH-DNF $25,000

airman1
25th Mar 2009, 02:07
Were there many lookers at the Auction? What did the majority of the PA31's go for?? :bored:

PlankBlender
25th Mar 2009, 02:31
Fantome, thanks for posting these numbers here, very informative. If you took notes I'd be very interested to find out the rest of the results!
:ok:

OH410E
25th Mar 2009, 02:46
For ten grand John Williamson could have had his song title parked on his front lawn.

sleemanj
25th Mar 2009, 03:35
Un-servicable DC3s are really not worth a great deal apparently.

Thank goodness the auction was in Australia though, I don't think I could have resisted if they were here.

$10 grand bids for a DC3, I could think of a good ground based use for it, a DC3 bach (holiday home, crib, whatever you want to call it) has a certain appeal.

Let's just hope that they don't wind up in a smelter.

urkidnme
25th Mar 2009, 03:46
PA31's went for between $185,000 and $310,000.

Two will remain in Port Macquarie and form part of the resurrection of the good old Johnston Aviation with the new owners, most importantly it will have Jamie and Kevin back at the helm.

A better and brighter future for staff and students ahead!:D

chimbu warrior
25th Mar 2009, 03:47
For ten grand John Williamson could have had his song title parked on his front lawn.

$10 grand bids for a DC3, I could think of a good ground based use for it, a DC3 bach (holiday home, crib, whatever you want to call it) has a certain appeal.

Just to clarify, they were [B][I]passed in[I][B] at 10 grand, so it is likely the reserve was much higher (in fact north of $100k if SBL is any guide).

I too hope they don't end up as beer cans.

bushy
25th Mar 2009, 03:47
The DC3's should all be turned into fire bombers. They can carry about two tons??? and that is a lot of fire retardent.
DC3's have been used by the kiwis for spreading superphosphate in hill country.
Maybe we need some kiwis over here to turn them into fire bombers for us.

sleemanj
25th Mar 2009, 05:07
Just to clarify, they were [b][i]passed in[i][b] at 10 grand, so it is likely the reserve was much higher

Yes I realise that, but even just being able to bid on it at that kind of price would be tooo irresistable!

I'm seriously surprised that nobody would even throw a hat in the ring at that.

Perhaps this auction house needs to work on it's marketing.

V2-OMG!
25th Mar 2009, 05:26
fantome, thank-you for the prices and information.

I can't say that I am thrilled to see such a noble airplane pandered like a worn-out saddle horse.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
25th Mar 2009, 05:39
Right Lotto numbers, I will be giving the auction firm a ring.

Really going to need three, one for TAA, one for Ansett and one for East-West then put them on the airshow circuit.

VH-DNF is not a callsign that I recognise, what was it in a former life?

Allan L
25th Mar 2009, 05:42
Bushy: DC3 as firebombers - our current SEATS (in Victoria) carry minimum 2,500 litres of retardent - that's 2 and half tonnes (or a bit more, I'd guess the SG of retardent is greater than 1kg/litre). Some carry 3,200 litres. For interest, there's 12 SEATs on the Vict. DSE/ CFA contract for the 08/09 season, with more available through the 'call when needed' register.

PlankBlender
25th Mar 2009, 05:50
Wow, $185-310k for a PA-31, goes to show how much of a buyer's market it is at the moment, even more so than usual. Even assuming some of them need a fair bit of work to make them really nice, it still sounds like a bit of a bargain :eek:

sixtiesrelic
25th Mar 2009, 05:56
Nice dreams... the reality is, till you get them away from where most of them are parked, you're gonna be paying for them to sit there.
Fire bombers... more like three tons of payload from memory.
Great idea, but of course you've to get past CASA and they don't want 'em in the air.
One "expert" from that mob told the owner of a very servicable one, "They should be in a museum, behind glass" while he did as much as he could to ground the lot.
The only hope is the Kiwis... the MOT seem to have some sense our lot lacks.
That Poppa Whiskey November isn't the one John sang about. It changed from CKN to PWN when the original PWN went to NZ and is now back in OZ as CWS.
Long live the old girls.

Fark'n'ell
25th Mar 2009, 05:59
DC3's have been used by the kiwis for spreading superphosphate in hill country

Bushy, I believe 5 tons is closer to the mark.The first DC3's to be used for the application of fertiliser had a spar mod done on them in Singapore to allow the installation of a hopper.I know an engineer who was involved in these first modifications.If you would like to know more PM me.

Fris B. Fairing
25th Mar 2009, 06:19
CLX

VH-DNF is not a callsign that I recognise, what was it in a former life?

The aeroplane was last with the PNGDF. On its delivery flight back to Oz it diverted into Warnervale with engine trouble and there she remains to this day. She was to become VH-DNF but she never made it on to the register. In effect DNF = Did Not Finish. Here's her details:

c/n 16361/33109
44-76777

P2-001
P65-001
A65-100
VHRFQ

Anything you want to know about extant Australasian DC-3s just ask Al (he answers from the grave)

Extant DC-2 and DC-3 Aircraft in Australia and New Zealand (http://www.dc3.adastron.com)

Rgds

chimbu warrior
25th Mar 2009, 06:54
Alan L is correct; SEATs are far more flexible, reliable and cost effective than DC-3's in the fire bombing role. They are quicker to re-load, can operate in narrower valleys, and offer excellent visibility for the pilot. Additionally the Air Tractor 802 and similar types need far less ground support, shorter and narrower runways, and can be used in other roles when there are no fires.

As much as I love vintage aircraft, and would love to fly a DC-3, firebombng is not in their future.

As a stately way to do a sightseeing trip around the bay, DC-3's are an ideal platform. Let';s just hope that CASA dont follow their European counterparts and legislate them out of the air.

ER_ZZZ
25th Mar 2009, 08:05
Chieftain for $185000, sounds OK. Wonder if it was the one missing an engine and other items.

$310000 sounds a bit more on the money if they had mid to high times to run on the engines etc.

bushy
25th Mar 2009, 09:49
Sure the SEATs are great. But I believe the recent fires sent us a message that we need much, much more than we have settled for. Anything we can get should be put to work.
We have to have an effective fire control/prevention system, or stop living in those fire prone places.
We must do lots of research into affordable fire control/prevention, and new house structures and town layouts which may provide some protection. Also, firetrucks with fireproof cabins for the fire fighters. (yes it can be done. And yes it has been tried, and it failed. Do we just quit because it is too hard???)
What we have been doing is now proven to be inadequate.

Chimbu chuckles
25th Mar 2009, 16:46
Rather than all that drama and expense bushy why not just kick the greenies in the balls and while they are down do some controlled burning?

Comprehensive controlled burning means manageable fires when they occur...which they will...NOTHING would have slowed down the recent Vic fires to any great extent. Bad as they were however notice those people who had ignored local govt policy (and were fined heavily for so doing) and thinned out the fuel around their homes came through with intact homes?

With the best intentions in the world the day of the DC3 in Australia is over except for the odd joy ride op...and we've seen what CASA thinks of them recently.

Fire fighting in Oz doesn't need a fleet of ponderous 75 yr old airliners it needs common sense and the greenies removed from the process.

V2-OMG!
25th Mar 2009, 21:15
As much as I love vintage aircraft, and would love to fly a DC-3...

chimbu, I know of two companies in the U.S.A. that offer this:

Incredible Adventures in Atlanta, Georgia, and
Dream Flight in Corona, California.

dh.dude
25th Mar 2009, 23:43
Bushy, I would have thought that there would be plenty of other aircraft defined as SEAT that are not on contract / stand by. I would bet a lot of ag operators would have applicable aircraft available for this purpose.

urkidnme
26th Mar 2009, 00:26
ER ZZZ

Sorry I should have said,the chieftain missing an engine sold for $45k,the one that sold for $195k was a 1973 model,TTIS 8253, RH ENG-943 to run, LH ENG-1800 to run,actually a good machine.

It doesnt reflect the value of the aircraft though,being the second in line the auctioneers moved so quick to start the bidding that people were still talking about what the previous sold for,(originally the first aircraft sold was apparently bought for around $550k but at this auction sold for $310k).
Potential bidders were caught unaware of the hammer falling at $195k so someone got themselves a bargain!

Horatio Leafblower
27th Mar 2009, 14:13
Does anyone know what the C421 -JRW sold for?

Bloke who bought it has contacted me and sayd he owned it before but if it was lessee's auction WTF??>

chode1984
27th Mar 2009, 14:23
Hey Horatio,

If I remember correctly, they announced at the auction that it had actually been removed from the sale list earlier that day or something due to the owner coming up with an installment or something along those lines.