PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Lorna deBlicquy

Rockhound
24th Mar 2009, 17:23
Sadly, Lorna deBlicquy died on March 21 at the age of 77 in Beaverton, ON. Besides becoming the country's first female civil aviation inspector, she broke many other gender-dependent barriers in Canadian aviation during an illustrious career. Also, I am reliably informed that she was the first woman (of any nationality) to reach the North Pole.
Rockhound

mundaka
24th Mar 2009, 19:35
It is sad to hear this news. She was a great aviator and an excellent instructor.
I am proud to say She was my instructor in Carp, back in 1995, at Westair Aviation for my initial Class IV. It was a pleasure to have learnt from a real lady, incredible instructor and such a nice person. She even took the time to correct my English whenever I made a mistake. She was a History graduate as well as I recollect.

Lorna, you will be missed,

RIP

Julio Aparicio.

mccauleyprop
25th Mar 2009, 14:38
I too am proud to say she was my Instructor and Collegue.
She was a pioneer in the Canadian Aviation Industry and a Member of the Order of Canada.
R.I.P Lorna
E.M

troff
25th Mar 2009, 17:08
Lorna was my Instructor at the OFC for some time.
She never let me forget the importance of the basics.
I'll remember her lessons forever.
Thanks, Lorna.
T.

Chuck Ellsworth
27th Mar 2009, 02:49
Very sad to hear this, I first met her and Dick in Wawa Ontario in 1965.

Does anyone know if Dick is still alive and where he lives?

Arctic guy
31st Mar 2009, 13:13
I first met Lorna when I was 6 years old. My parents were friends with Dick and Lorna and I would often play with their daughter Elain. When I decided to get my pilots licence Lorna was the MOT inspector who did my multi ride at the Ottawa flying school. Later when I was hired by Bradley's as a twin Otter copilot in Resolute and Iqaluit I got to fly many hours with Dick all over the arctic on skiis and tundra tires. Later when Lorna retired she lived out in Dunrobin, close to my parents house and I would often see her. Lorna was without doubt a true aviation pioneer who broke many glass ceilings in her long career, she loved to fly and truly made her mark on Canadian aviation history. I will miss Lorna but I am happy that I knew her.

Last I heard about Dick deBlicquy was that he was still living over in Wales although I am sure he will come back for the memorial.

Rockhound
31st Mar 2009, 15:00
Dick lives in Llandeilo, west of the Brecon Beacons National Park in SW Wales.
There was a lengthy obit of Lorna in last Saturday's (Mar 28) Globe & Mail.
Rockhound