PDA

View Full Version : Navy Grades !!

dannyboy192
24th Mar 2009, 13:59
Hi everyone,
I have looked on the Navy website but i just wanted a second opinion. I have grade C maths, english, science, technology, music, and a btec first diploma equivelent to 4 gcse's grade A, an Aviation diploma equivelent to 3 gcse's grade A, and a natuional diploma public services equivelent to 3 A-levels grade A. Do you guys think i would get in to the navy and would i be ok with the training? Thanks alot guys i really appreciate it :)

Cornerstone958
24th Mar 2009, 14:17
Go to the sticky at the top of the page it may help you.
Go to your nearest recruting office and ask the question.
nothing ventured nothing gained.
Good luck:ok:
CS

airborne_artist
24th Mar 2009, 14:36
Cornerstone is right - only the AFCO can confirm the UCAS points for your diploma. As far as I know there is no published list of acceptable qualifications/UCAS points for non A-level courses that are approved by any individual Armed Service for recruiting purposes.

You can not assume that your course is accepted, so check.

Stuff
24th Mar 2009, 16:05
The generally accepted guide to equivalent qualifications is Home Page - National Database of Accredited Qualifications (http://www.accreditedqualifications.org.uk/index.aspx)

Having said that single service differences still rule, especially when looking at selection so the AFCO is your only route to certainty. For instance; the Army will accept that key skills level 2 is equivalent to GSCE English (both are level 2 according to the database) but the RAF won't accept key skills stating that the syllabus is too different for it to count.

dannyboy192
24th Mar 2009, 18:27
thanks guys, also what is AFCO? cheers

Time Flies
24th Mar 2009, 18:31
Ever heard of Google?:ugh:

AFCO - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=AFCO&meta=)

...top 5 hits all relevant.

airborne_artist
24th Mar 2009, 18:50
The mod on the Newbies forum on navy-net.co.uk probably has the inside track on this, too. He works in an RN AFCO.

Irish Tempest
24th Mar 2009, 20:04
DannyBoy,

You have your age set at 16? If this is the case and you have the UCAS points I would be v impressed. There are a lot of hoops to jump through in order to become a Naval Officer.

Speaking from case history and experience, I suspect the GCSE's and their equivalents might well get you through the GCSE hoop - albeit as a scraper. The Public Service Course is always a debatable one due to the lack of serious academic content - compared to someone with 'proper' A-Levels. Did you get the Aviation Diploma though the Air Cadets?

The ultimate arbeiter of good taste in these issues will be the Admiralty Interview Boards Officer Entry Section.

If I were you I'd contact the AFCO and go throught the Recruiting Test (RT) anyhow. They will send you out a set of application forms and whenever you return them back to the office they will call you in for the RT. If you get a high enough score you will be handed over to an 'Officer' recuiter who can give you advice and guide you the rest of the way!!

Good luck!:ok:

IT

dannyboy192
24th Mar 2009, 20:53
cheers guys