PDA

View Full Version : HELP. Aircraft Rental Insurance

markch2000
24th Mar 2009, 11:10
Hi everyone, been a member for a long time, and the info here as helped alot.

Im going to the USA this summer to finish my hourbuilding towards my CPL. However i need to buy rental insurance. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to look. As i can't seem to find anything that i can use without being a US Citizen

Thanks in advance

profot
28th Mar 2009, 13:00
Have a look at the AOPA renters insurance. I believe as long as you have a postal address you can use in the US then they will cover you for about USD 300 pa. You can do it all online just like car insurance, sorry don't have a link to it though so need to google it.

If you don't need a whole year I also believe you can refund for parts of the year, I did this and it only cost me about USD80 bucks in the end.

beachbumflyer
28th Mar 2009, 14:04
Do you really need a rental insurance if you rent a plane in the U.S.?
I undestand that the school where you rent the plane at already has
an insurance.

profot
29th Mar 2009, 09:00
I am far from an expert on these matters but my understanding is that some schools/ clubs have adequate cover and some put the liability on the renter to take out additional cover.

ive rented from a few places in the US and the minimum deductible in case of an incident was USD2,500 and the maximum was USD10,000 so it really is worth taking out some 'protection' against that.

irishpilot1990
19th Apr 2009, 10:56
Did ye guys get the
Optional Coverage - Limit of Liability (Physical Damage to non-owned aircraft)

the insurance is 220$ until you get to this section in which it can run upto $1700??:confused:

B2N2
19th Apr 2009, 13:18
All insurance policies have a deductible.
Which means if you ding an aircraft it is unlikely that the school or FBO will pay the deductible.
The "renter's insurance" or "non-owned aircraft insurance" is meant to cover this deductible, not all of the damage on the aircraft.

Scenario:

You rent a aircraft from flight school A.
Through no fault of yours ( tire blows, cross wind gust, FOD on the runway)
you end up in the ditch and the damage is $25,000.
The insurance of school A will pay $25K minus deductible. the deductible varies with type of aircraft, but let's say $2,500.
So insurance pays $22,500 and you pay $2,500.
Either from out of pocket (auch!) or through your renter's insurance.

If you intend to spend $5K - $8K on timebuilding it's wise to make sure that the money is actually going towards your flying.
$220 worth of insurance is not too much to ask.

Have a Question About Aviation Insurance? from the Aviation Insurance and Aircraft Insurance Experts. (http://www.alexanderaviation.com/index.jsf)

is one of the companies that provides this.