PDA

View Full Version : UK Issued JAR-PPL in Germany

italianjon
23rd Mar 2009, 11:04
So, here's a question as I don't have a clue on the answer. I currently own a share based out of a fantastic little airfield in the UK; and it works beautifully...

Now the issue - I have been offered a marvellous job in Germany, don;t speak much German, so wondering if there are any expats in the Frankfurt/Stuttgart area with a share, or a German share with someone who speaks good English. I am going to learn German, without question, but would imagine I have to wait 6 months or so before I will be able to do the British thing and moan about the weather ;)

I have a UK Issued JAR-PPL, are there any validitiy issues to overcome in flying a D-Reg? What is share ownership like out there?

bookworm
23rd Mar 2009, 14:11
Validation requirements (for foreign non-JAA licences) are included with the L1005 form (http://www.lba.de/nn_308452/EN/Forms/L1/Forms__Tabelle.html).

(Edited to add, sorry, didn't twig that it was a JAR-FCL licence first time.)

mad_jock
23rd Mar 2009, 15:53
When I was over there I just flew a D reg on my UK JAR PPL.

The english wasn't a problem, any one under the age of 40 speaks pretty good english.

All ATC coms is in English if you start the call in English.

It really isn't a problem.

A word of advice the telly is ****e over there. Get a sky box and get it setup and registered before you go out. Don't take the dish because the locals will grass you up for having sky. Everything is dubbed by the same bloke in Germany and even once you get the jist of the lingo the dubbing is bloody awful.
The german channels hang off the same satellite so your dish won't be pointing in a funny direction.

I had a great time over there for 2 years. Its a bit of a change of mind set in regards the red tape and government bureaucracy but once you get your head round it its not to bad. I still miss the bread

Lister Noble
23rd Mar 2009, 16:04
Is that financial or food bread?
:}

mad_jock
23rd Mar 2009, 16:33
The food bread is just brilliant especial all the types with seeds through them. The black bread though can go straight down the bog and cut out the middle man its bloody horrible

WestWind1950
23rd Mar 2009, 17:54
hi Mad_jock! long time no see :}

For one thing... the dubbing in German on TV programs is done fantastically! In fact, some times the dialog is even BETTER then the original! :D

I have a normal satelitte dish, aimed at Astra I believe, and I can pick up Skynews and bbc and a number of other programs. For everything else, like movies, just rent a DVD... they are always in the original language (usually English) as well as German... and watching in German will help you learn the language.

I agree, the food is GREAT and the bakeries offer tons of different kinds of bread... so enjoy! :ok:

As to aviation.... the purpose of a European JAR-FCL license is that it gets recognised within all JAA countries without the need to have it validated in any way. So find yourself a club and have a few rounds with a local pilot/instructor for orientation and enjoy. The approach charts say whether the tower offers English radio (en/ge=English and German, ge= only German).

P.S. I live near Frankfurt so contact me if you would like more info. I fly out of Worms myself (yes, that's a real name lol).

BEagle
23rd Mar 2009, 17:55
The black bread though can go straight down the bog and cut out the middle man its bloody horrible

Agreed - I refer to it as 'Sperrholzbrot' due to both its texture and taste!!

HPMan
24th Mar 2009, 13:22
It's been a few years, granted, but when I was working near Hanover I just visited the LBA in Braunschweig - late on a Friday afternoon without an appointment! The LBA gave me a copy of a page from their AIP which said I could fly a D-registered aircraft on my UK CAA PPL(A), but only Day VFR. No other paperwork or verification was required. I was in and out in less than an hour! I wonder if that approach would work at Gatwick on a Friday afternoon?!I must admit this was before Germany fully implemented JAR licensing, so things may have changed. It would be worth speaking to the LBA to see what they say. In my limited dealings with them, they were ever helpful.

Bonanza_Driver
24th Mar 2009, 22:21
As far as I know, if you've got an icao ppl issued by a member state of the EU (or something like that...) there's some kind of agreement that you're allowed to fly on an Aircraft registered in another EU state (of the same class and type etc. but I guess you're only interested in SEP anyway) wihtout further paperwork, the catch is that you can only fly, as hpman correctly said, in VFR and during the day... I stand to be corrected on this but it worked fine for me flying on a Luxembourg icao ppl (well Luxembourg and JAR is a long story.....) in a D-reg Aircraft in vfr during the day, so no Problem there as far as I know.

Besides, since you have a JAR ppl you shouldn't have any problem at all to fly on a D-reg aircraft not only vfr day but also ifr or at night (provided you have the ratings or course) since Germany's Jar as well etc.....otherwhise all this fuss about the bloody jar licenses would've been utterly pointless....:ugh:

As far as flying in Germany goes, well let's put it that way; depending where you fly from (most places actually unless you're close to something like frankfurt or berlin or so) it's quite easy to plan, compared to the UK, a flight and you can actually go up to a reasonable altitude (e.g. FL70, 80 or so depending on what you fly...) because you don't have to worry about flying into airways going overhead at FL60 or so, as you would for example in south england....

Their FIS' are quite good as well, but depending on when you fly (e.g. the first sunny weekend in the last 2 months or so) the frequencies tend to get quite busy and there are a lot of folks on the frequency that don't get to fly often, nothing wrong with that of course, and do their RT in German, nothing wrong with that either, but while asking for Flight Information they've got a tendency to inform the controller about random stuff like their shoe size and the fact that they're taking their mother in law up for a birthday treat.... well there's something wrong with that.... If there are any Germans reading this, no offense chaps :ok:

Oh, just on a side note; as for German TV, since somebody already started it I might as well give you my 2 cents worth :}...
Maybe it's just the fact I spend the last 6 months in the UK... but I have the distinct feeling that the "quality" of German mainstream tv channels (e.g. ProSieben, RTL, Sat1 etc...) is rapidly deteriorating... but then again, maybe it's just me....

mothflyer
26th Mar 2009, 08:40
Hey guys,

I too have a JAR-CAA PPL and have no problems here. The only problem was finding the right people with the right aeroplanes, took 6 months but then it all comes together. I now fly a Dornier 27 and a PA18 Cub both within small syndicates. Generally the system works ok here and once they hear english on the radio, I generally feel the guys make more effort to practice english as they dont speak it all the time.

Flying to the smaller grass airfields requires a bit of German on the radio however, but I just take a crib sheet of German phrases for the air which works just fine. Some of the airfields have fantastic aviator restaurants/bars and allow you to pitch your tent for those nice summer evenings when a beer after flying becomes priority!!

Enjoy your time and happy landings.

S-Works
26th Mar 2009, 16:54
there is no day/Vfr restriction for JAA licence holders. All ratings apply. I know of many people who operate D REG aircraft on UK JAA licences under IFR etc and commercially.

mad_jock
26th Mar 2009, 18:14
I was flying near Aachen and was quite happy when a German speaker pitched up on frequency. I understood most of it.

The controller promptly told the chap that an english speaker was on freq and to use english. The poor chap was obviously a bit put out and with struggling tones started again in English. I said I didn't mind as I could understand more than i could speak.

The frau controller informed me that he was a commercial student and it would do him good to practise using English.

I stupidly asked the old CFI in very poor German if she was one of these domineering strapping Bauernfrau who wears kinky boots. It turn out he thought she was and by the hand gestures I presume she had large breasts.

Next time she was on and I was flying, on taxi request, she informed me she was wearing her black knee length boots today.

Certainly gave me something to think about on my Nav ex. And also proves the sausage munchers do have a sense of humour.

Kyprianos Biris
28th Mar 2009, 05:54
The only restriction that I found with my UKCAA JAA license once flying aborad national register aircraft was that once considered a permanent resident (for whatever that means for local CAA's) you have to request transfer of your JAA records from UKCAA to the new CAA.

I think it is also needed for license revalidations once you try to revalidate with a JAA examiner who is based at that non UK country they (UKCAA) may start asking you for copies of his JAA records as well.