PDA

View Full Version : CABAIR Flying School

mitch747
23rd Mar 2009, 10:41
Hi All,

Could i have some honest opinons regarding Cabair in Bournemouth. I'm looking to start my ATPL theory, then do my hour building along with the CPL and ME/IR with Cabair.

I alrerady hold a PPL, but would like to have some opionons regarding this school. Staplford Flight Centre would be another option, but heard that Cabair looks good on your CV.

Thanks everyone.

skyhighbird
23rd Mar 2009, 14:22
Did Cabair tell you that Cabair looks good on your CV? Shocking!

Most of the things I hear about Cabair on Pprune are negative. (fair enough this is for the integrated training).

Whereas the SFC posts sing their praises.

mitch747
23rd Mar 2009, 16:18
Well - I didn’t hear that directly from Cabair, it was mentioned to me that they are a very well recognised school with the airlines, i.e. BA recruit a lot of candidates from Cabair, and if BA recruit, all other airlines follow suit.

They seem to be offering a good package, but as Im coughing up nearly £32k I want to make sure I get the best school, which will give me the best opportunities getting an airline career when I finish.

I have heard that SFC also provides a good school, but does this reduce your chances of getting an airline career with a school which is not as well known? I’m assuming they are not, correct me if im wrong.

n.dave
23rd Mar 2009, 18:37
Does it really matter which school you go to?
You still get the same licence(s) at the end of it. (CPL/IR ME)

n.dave

skyhighbird
23rd Mar 2009, 19:24
Hiya Mitch,

Judging by your response, it shows that you are pretty naive to the industry-but that is no bad thing! I was once like you and PPrune is a great place to get advice - but remeber to always take it with a pinch of salt.

First off all, it seems you are not going integrated. Therefore you will not get into BA - regardless of what school. What I mean by that is even if BA were recruiting low hour pilots (250hr cadets), they only get integrated cadets. There is an ongoing thread (of which I have posted numerous replies to) called BA sponsorship. This is a thread I recommend you to read - it is a real eye opener.

Naturally after you have gained the relevant amount of hours - you can apply for DEP (Direct Entry Pilot) then your training background is irrelevant - mod or integrated.

In terms of a "well recognised school", then yes they are. They are part of the "Big schools"- OAT, Cabair, FTE, CTC. These schools are the integrated training providers and yes, they do/did supply cadets for BA. The term "supply a lot for BA" is relative. From what I have seen here, it is Oxford that supply the most - if anyone has archived figures then this statement could be confirmed or not.

Your sentence "BA recruit a lot of candidates from Cabair, and if BA recruit, all other airlines follow suit" is laughable. I suggest spending 2-3 hours reading threads pertaining to each of the 4 schools I mentioned, integrated Vs Mod, SFC and basically any of the recommended threads in the "Read before you Post" threads.

You really will learn a lot - just as I did.

In summary and deducing that you are going modular the following seem to be the order of today's climate:

1. You won't get into BA as a low-hr mod cadet.
2. The school won't matter
3. However, make sure your CPL/IR/ME is done at one school only - not 3 different ones.
4. Mod is the financially sound route compared to integrated.
5. Aim to finish training circa 2012.

Hope that helps!

mitch747
23rd Mar 2009, 20:21
Thanks skyhighbird,

and n.dave - yes it would matter what school you go to, what your saying in theory is correct, but as we all know, what’s on that bit of paper is what really matters. Or who you know. Would you recruit someone who is educated from Cambridge Uni or your local uni to do a particular job?? Same rules apply…

Not saying you wont get a career training at SFC, but your chances would increase if you did your training from a popular school which is well known with the Airlines. In fact, my friend has completed his training at SFC and now got a job with Ryan Air, so it is possible, all im saying it might increase my chances do it with a well know school.

Any how, diverting from my main question about Cabair in Bournemouth. If anyone has any experiences with them lately please let me know your views.

Thanks all

Daultonio
23rd Mar 2009, 20:31
Iam at Cabair bournemouth now and am very happy there.
The ATPL instructors and flying instructors are great and really help you, just put in the work and you will be fine.

skyhighbird
24th Mar 2009, 09:01
Mitch,

removing the few exceptions aside (i.e flight schools that obviously have a terrible reputation), when you go modular then there is perhaps no TOP school. You are in the same boat - i.e you will not go to BA as a low hr cadet.

The fact that you are in Essex means not going to SFC would be a waste of 1. Fuel and 2. A very very competent and excellent flight school. 3. Money.

I think you really need to do more research. Your sentence "but your chances would increase if you did your training from a popular school which is well known with the Airlines" shows there is still some knowledge lacking.

Firstly, SFC is popular and known through all airlines and has a very high reputation. Secondly, and as I have already mentioned, you will be going via the modular route. So the name of the school really means nothing - providing you stay at that same school throughout.