PDA

View Full Version : one helluva shoehorn!?!

A31J
23rd Mar 2009, 00:24
must've been a stretched version..:8 :eek:

'Numerous children' dead in US plane crash

* March 23, 2009 - 11:08AM

A small plane has crashed while approaching an airport in Montana, killing 17 people, including many children, US authorities say.

"We think that it was probably a ski trip for the kids," Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Mike Fergus said.

The single engine turboprop plane crashed about 152 metres from the airport in Butte while attempting to land, he said.

The aircraft had departed from Orville, California, and the pilot had filed a flight plan showing a destination of Bozeman. But the pilot cancelled his flight plan at some point and headed for Butte, Mr Fergus said.

The plane was registered to Eagle Cap Leasing Inc in Enterprise, Oregon, Mr Fergus said. He did not know who was operating the plane.

Calls to local authorities were not returned.

Mr Fergus said the Pilatus PC-12 aircraft was manufactured in 2001. He said the National Transportation Safety Board has an investigator located in Butte. The FAA's flight standards investigator was en route.

There were no known casualties on the ground.

AP

airman1
23rd Mar 2009, 00:47
Very Sad indeed,

But where’s Wally????? A PC 12 and no comment yet:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Alice Kiwican
23rd Mar 2009, 02:02
How many pax seats in a PC12? I didn't know you could get 17 people in one of these but then again I've only seen them decked out for the RFDS.

airman1
23rd Mar 2009, 02:06
9 seats is the max from memory! But I am sure someone will correct me:bored:

sms777
23rd Mar 2009, 03:14
I will answer on behalf of Wally :E

I TOLD YOU SO!........:=

VH-XXX
23rd Mar 2009, 06:04
Supposedly many of the deceased were children which could explain why there's a few extra's in there if they shared seats, but I thought you could only share 1 seat with 2 kids. Correct me if I'm wrong.

9 pax + pilot + 1 double-up = 11 (or 10 if the published pax count includes the pilot)

A31J
23rd Mar 2009, 07:02
i've flown my share of bubs on laps in the '12..but i've certainly not carried anywhere near the 17 (at once) quoted here

weight and/or balance may have been an issue if in fact there were 17 on board..certification limits notwithstanding!

methinks more of a case of one can't believe anything one hears..and only half of what one sees!

:hmm:

Grogmonster
23rd Mar 2009, 10:04
A31J has it spot on. Any more than the certification limit means BIG trouble regardless of local regs. There wouldn't be an Insurance company on the planet that will wear this one. I would say this guy is a contender for the Darwinian award.

Groggy

goin'flyin
23rd Mar 2009, 21:38
Commuter interior is 9 pax + 2 crew, so sticking with the 1 double up, max could be 12 pob.

Either way - still a very sad story when loss of life involved.

airman1
23rd Mar 2009, 23:50
Apparently only 14 on board (7 adults and 7 children)

Professional Pilot News: Pilatus PC-12 crash in Montana kills all on board (http://propilotnews.com/2009/03/pilatus-pc-12-crash-in-montana-kills.html)

sms777
24th Mar 2009, 01:00
Apparently crashed in to a cemetery....Explains why they found so many dead bodies.
:oh: :oh:

Terrible though...:sad: