PDA

View Full Version : Well Done David Lowy

tipsy2
22nd Mar 2009, 21:36
David has stepped in where Defence/DVA/Government has failed to tread.

London ceremony to honour WWII Spitfire pilots - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/23/2523064.htm?section=justin)

"London ceremony to honour WWII Spitfire pilots

By Phillipa McDonald

Posted 1 hour 31 minutes ago
Updated 1 hour 24 minutes ago
Former Spitfire pilot and Association president Lysle Roberts says the donation of flights is 'an extraordinary gesture'.

A group of Australian ex-Spitfire pilots in their 80s and 90s are heading to London today for a ceremony to mark their contribution to the allied forces during World War II.

Sixty-four years after the end of the war a commemorative service is to be held in the Royal Air Force's church St Clement Danes.

Tiles will be laid to honour 11 squadrons.

The Spitfire Association's request to the Federal Government for airfares and accommodation was declined, which meant their trip was in doubt until very recently.

But one of Australia's most avid military aviation collectors, David Lowy, has stepped in to fund the ex-servicemen's trip, shouting each of them return business-class fares.

The Government told the ABC on Friday it will provide $5,000 to the veterans to attend the London commemoration.

Spitfire Association president Lysle Roberts says Mr Lowy has made an extraordinary gesture, and he spoke to the ABC about the significance of the attending the dedication."

Again, well done David and a pox on those public servants and government people that should know better.

tipsy

Critical Reynolds No
22nd Mar 2009, 21:45
Agreed. Well done that man.:ok::D

Ex FSO GRIFFO
23rd Mar 2009, 01:29
ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL GESTURE Mr LOWY!!!

And to cap it all off, one of the tiling displays will be the crest of
451 RAAF Sqdn of the RAF Desert Air Force, manned by Australians

RAAF Personnel attached to the RAF,
(Book entitled 'Bankstown To Berlin' refers...)

Squadron callsign 'BQ' in the desert, and 'NI' when transferred to England/Europe, and featuring the
'Boxing Kangaroo' - otherwise prominently featured in the America's Cup Sailing Races as an 'original'......

Well Done Mr John Culbert, OAM EM, Secretary, Treasurer of 451 Squadron Association!

'Tis a great pity that only a 'few' are left to remember.....

Best Regards.:ok::ok:

maxgrad
23rd Mar 2009, 01:29
Worthy effort to a worthy man for a worthy group of gents!

Thats all my worthy's used up for the day.

OpsNormal
23rd Mar 2009, 03:47
That really shows the man for what I always knew him to be. Good onya Dave.

David Lowy
23rd Mar 2009, 04:45
Thanks very much for your kind comments – don’t be too hard on the Government & public servants though, whilst it my appear simple for them to contribute the funds, its just not that easy & they have plenty on their plate right now.

David Lowy

John Eacott
23rd Mar 2009, 04:53
David,

Please accept my congratulations on your noble and generous gesture :ok:

Front Pit
23rd Mar 2009, 05:01
I echo the sentiment of others here in congratulating David Lowy on his generous gesture to this wonderful group of men who helped defend our freedom. :D :D And another big thank you David for your efforts to "Keep 'em flying" at Temora. :ok:

TBM-Legend
23rd Mar 2009, 05:04
David,

A nice gesture indeed...

:ok:

tipsy2
23rd Mar 2009, 05:16
David said
don’t be too hard on the Government & public servants though, &
they have plenty on their plate right now.

I do believe the gentlemen you are supporting had at the time more of a whole smorgasbord (that could have killed them) to contend with rather than just a bit on their plate.

Regretably veterans are finding it more the norm these days to have to fight for ever diminishing assistance and support from the very government that sent them away to harms way in the first place.

tipsy

Time Bomb Ted
23rd Mar 2009, 06:50
Well done David.

Thanks for picking up where our leaders in effect, let go.

You are a good man.

Regards

TBT

Pinky the pilot
23rd Mar 2009, 06:54
Well done Sir!:ok:

Stationair8
23rd Mar 2009, 08:35
Congratulations to David Lowy for doing the right thing for this group of veterans.

To the Minister for Veterans Affairs, you would be a spineless little oxygen thief that should have been drowned at birth. Hope knocking back a grant to these fine gentlemen, gave you a warm fuzzy feeling!!!

bluesky300
23rd Mar 2009, 09:49
Congratulations David and thanks. I do agree though that it is not easy for governments to balance competing demands, even when causes are clearly worthy and extremely deserving.

sprocket check
23rd Mar 2009, 10:30
To the Minister for Veterans Affairs, you would be a spineless little oxygen thief that should have been drowned at birth.

That is gold. Don't hold back next time SA8!

Good to see true character, David. Actions, not words...

sc

Dogimed
23rd Mar 2009, 10:43
David,

You've done more for aviation in this country than many other notably wealthy 'aviation' people.

Well done!

Dog

Barkly1992
23rd Mar 2009, 11:12
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A wonderful meaningful and practical gesture.

Old Metal
23rd Mar 2009, 11:53
Difficult as it may be for the government to fund such worthy events, they should remember the words "Lest we forget". These people, who understood that in war they may have been laying down their life for their country, should never be forgotten. What bigger sacrifice? Shame on you Mr Rudd. May history forget you, but long remember these gentlemen and the likes of Mr Lowy

Mr_Pilot
25th Mar 2009, 11:15
I attribute a lot of influence to the "Temora Shrine" that this man has created. I fell in love with everything there some 6-7 years ago when I had less hairs on my face and (probably) more money in my pocket!

I am happy to say I am poor and loving what I do in life and am ever so grateful that you are such a wonderful benificery to Aviation in general! I thank you like so many other before me, and please take my belated thanks and add it to the many you have already in your guest books!

Well done :D:D:D

Milt
25th Mar 2009, 12:10
What a great thing to be able to do. Thanks to David Lowy from all of us Vets.

Missed seeing Fred Coupe in the group.

Fred was flying a Spitfire on close support over France on D Day+2 when heavy ground fire knocked out his engine, started a fire forward of the cockpit, injured him somewhat and rendered his parachute unuseable. Close by was what he believed to be a German airfield and he had no choice but to do a gutser beside the runway little realizing that the Jerries had abandoned the airfield a few hours before after having peppered it with landmines. Fred missed the mines, exited the burning Spit despite serious burns and awaited rescue having advised his situation just before his radio quit.

A Lysander eventually landed along the scrape furrows made by the Spit, picked up Fred and took off back down the furrows thus avoiding the mines.

Fred spent a long while in the burns and skin graft hospital in England where he was befriended by one of his nurses.

I met Fred at Schofields west of Sydney where he had become a met observer. His unofficial met forecasts were spot on. He did not confess to having been a former Spitfire pilot otherwise I could have launched him for a ride in a Mustang.

Some years later Fred was interviewed on TV and believe it or not the broadcast was viewed by his burns hospital nurse holidaying in Perth WA. Soon after they married.

I last saw Fred in Canberra where he was belatedly decorated with the French Croix de Guerre a few years ago.

Hope you are still with us Fred.

ozaggie
25th Mar 2009, 12:33
Thank you Fred

Fliegenmong
25th Mar 2009, 12:34
Well done David, yes I understand its easy to blame Gummint for lack of support, but as you point out its not that simple, nevermind who is in Government :\:)

rjtjrt
26th Mar 2009, 11:00
David
Please add my respect for the support to "the few".
I can only imagine what it means to those now able to go to England, and the families of those men.
John

judge.oversteer
27th Mar 2009, 13:25
Attended the very proud and moving RAAF Squadron's Dedication Ceremony held at St.Clement Danes Church, Strand, London, yesterday.

Wonderful ceremony and wonderful to see so many spritely young "veterans" led by the very able Ted Sly, DFC, 452 Sqn.
Great to chat with them all in Australia House afterwards.

A big thank you to all at RAAF Australia House, and, of course, a huge thank you to David Lowy.

JO

Stationair8
19th Apr 2009, 07:01
No doubt the good minister will be going along to an Anzac day function to press the flesh and make a good fellow of himself in front of the electorate!

Don't seem to have had a reply from the e-mail I sent to your office, in relation to this matter?

CharlieLimaX-Ray
26th Apr 2009, 03:17
S8, the good minister is overseas doing the Anzac thing and representing this great nation.

If you have sent a rude or sarcastic e-mail or letter to the good minister it will be filed in the bin, so don't hold your breathe waiting for a reply or go annoying the postman everday.

Stationair8
26th Apr 2009, 03:48
No doubt the good minister and his freeloaders would have travelled economy class due to the global finacial crisis we are experiencing?