PDA

View Full Version : MEP ratings?

MAXTHRUSTV1
22nd Mar 2009, 15:03
Hi just a quick question.

I was going to complete my MEP rating on a DA42 Twinstar but have now heard rumors that you are not really qualified to fly any other ME like a PA34 for instance.

I thought if you have the rating you can fly any ME you just need to be checked out on the AC type you wish to fly and this would be fine?

Has anyone else heard this or have any reasons to avoid the DA42 as i was intending on completing the MEIR in this also!

Regards

MAX

littco
22nd Mar 2009, 15:17
If you don't already have a MEP then the initial can't be done on a DA42, for a couple of reasons.

1st the props aren't true variable pitch props in that you can't adjust the pitch manually as it's all done automatically. You need an aircraft with a POWER,PROP AND FUEL lever the DA42 only has one a % power lever.

2nd they have G1000's and as such I believe you need to have to do it in a standard cockpit as you can't do full partial panel flying in a DA42.

Once you've done the 8 hrs and sat the skills test in the a standard twin then you can move over to the DA42 for the MEIR.

Maybe someone can confirm just to make sure, but your school should be able to help

portsharbourflyer
22nd Mar 2009, 16:11
An initial MEP rating can be done on twin star however you will then require difference training in order to fly a conventional "three lever" twin.

Maxthrust, essentially you are correct, however the difference training required to fly a conventional three lever twin is likely to be more than just an hour long checkout. I would even say that dealing with the seperate levers is not much of an issue, but quite simply a seneca is going to be physically a more difficult aircraft to fly.

I have never flown a DA42, but Cabair did attribute a rise in the first time pass rate for the IR due to the fact the DA42 is alot easier to fly than conventional twins. I personally even found going from a smaller conventional twin(dutchess) to a seneca 1 a bit of a struggle, so I would imagine that going from a DA42 to another twin may not be an easy transition.

Depends on you career aspirations, if you intend to self sponsor a rating after training (737, or 320, not a very good idea at the moment) then stick with the DA42. If you have aspirations for air taxi work then stick to the conventional twins.

Lurking123
22nd Mar 2009, 16:26
An MEP rating is an MEP rating, regardless of the type you do the training on. If you move from one type to another there is a need to do differences training. This would be necessary if you moved from a PA34 to a DA42 in the same way as if you went DA42 to PA34. The issue is whether you need to do more differences training going one particular way.

I trained on a DA42 and subsequently got a Baron 'tick' after 2.5 hrs. Then again, I had a SEP complex sign-off beforehand. I would suggest that the G1000 needs, at very least, a similar amount of familiarisation time. of course, many schools have a G1000 sim on a PC.

MAXTHRUSTV1
22nd Mar 2009, 18:03
Thanks for all the responses. I think i'll complete the ME on the PA34 and then use the DA42 for the MEIR section to gain some G1000 experience.

I will check why the school did not advise me of this as they have both AC available?

Max

madlandrover
22nd Mar 2009, 18:55
As already said... The MEP rating concentrates on the assymetric aspects of flying. 6 lever differences training can then be completed on any MEP training flight - personally, I did a MECPL on the 42 and then 1:30 on a PA44 which I wanted training on anyway.

flygirl 001
22nd Mar 2009, 19:24
Do it in a proper twin at Peterbourough Conington in their Beech 76...:ok: