PDA

View Full Version : St Mawgan to re-open for flying??

L1A2 discharged
21st Mar 2009, 10:31
Rumours abound about various rotory using tri-service units coming to St Mawgan for CT and long term occupancy.

Unfortunately a chunk of the [potentially] required land is now inside the International Airport fence :)

Apparently (this is a rumour site ...) an announcement is due towards the end of the month - probably in time to undershadow the pay revue report and awards.

Talk Reaction
21st Mar 2009, 11:06
If this were to happen then some senior heads should role! No doubt it would cost us a fortune that could have easily been avoided. That said seems very unlikely - surely all the rotary units could 'time-share' one small stn in the UK......

spheroid
21st Mar 2009, 11:20
Rumours abound about various rotory using tri-service units coming to St Mawgan

If this were to happen then some senior heads should role!

For goodness sake fellas. Please use a dictionary.

Impiger
21st Mar 2009, 12:11
Very odd rumour; completely unfounded from where I sit:ok:

VARIABLE_KNIFE
21st Mar 2009, 19:46
Hmmm, sounds like a very good rumour to spread around but cannot see it myself! :ugh:

petoprobe
21st Mar 2009, 20:55
I work at what is now known as Newquay international Airport. Guess what? Unfortunately its just that a rumour.

Rigga
21st Mar 2009, 21:57
I heard from a friend of a friend's really good friend, that the RAF was withdrawing all aircraft Ops from Newquay International by next year and only E&E Training was going to remain there!

This is a rumour site...isn't it?

See if I'm wrong later.

Razor61
21st Mar 2009, 22:50
Where has the Combat Survival School moved too then?

St Johns Wort
22nd Mar 2009, 10:46
petoprobe et al

If the mil powers that be want to make RAF St Mawgan an HLS, with fuel availability, that would be up to them.
There is plenty of scope for just that, and what a great facility that would be, for a start no fees to the nearby airport.

spheroid
22nd Mar 2009, 11:01
If the mil powers that be want to make RAF St Mawgan an HLS, with fuel availability, that would be up to them.
There is plenty of scope for just that, and what a great facility that would be, for a start no fees to the nearby airport.

They could try but they would never get it past the IPT. Why would you spend a lot of money on an HLS when you have a full operational military airfield 10 minutes away?

Does anyone know why that small danger area (I think its D011...could be D001) is still perched off SMG's runway..... whats it still there for?

extpwron
22nd Mar 2009, 11:22
Does anyone know why that small danger area (I think its D011...could be D001) is still perched off SMG's runway..... whats it still there for?

It used to be used by 203 Sqn for SAR training but since they’ve moved to Valley that’s a good question.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Mar 2009, 12:07
In the AP there will be contact details. Ring them up, if number unobtainable contact the CAA who will contact the MOD.

The MOD is reluctant to give up restricted airspace as it is nigh impossible to get new or modified danger areas approved. It is easier to let it remain than to get rid of it.

escapee
22nd Mar 2009, 13:10
I believe D001 is now run by Culdrose. Their Jetstreams and helos are always operating in that area.

Razor61
22nd Mar 2009, 13:23
D-001 is now used for live gunnery from Helicopters and warships.
The other danger areas (D112 etc) around Lundy have been replaced by D-064, a Managed Danger Area with extends way out into the Ocean used by Culdrose and Yeovilton Hawks. But... used to be used by the detachments at St Mawgan.

As far as helicopters using St Mawgan, a few Chinooks have been in and out for the past few weeks.

BEagle
22nd Mar 2009, 13:55
Where has the Combat Survival School moved too then?

ICATQ!!

Green Flash
22nd Mar 2009, 15:37
Apart from the roofs!;) I'm surprised that there isn't more visitors or detachment flying going on at ISK, given the wide open spaces inside the wire (the N & S loops/VASS pans) and outside (Tain/Garvie/14T/Highlands/etc):confused:

petoprobe
22nd Mar 2009, 17:19
RAF Dominies pass through Newquay on a regular basis and they are handled by Mid West Exec. FRA use the airport for Thursdays war.

west lakes
22nd Mar 2009, 17:21
I work at what is now known as Newquay international Airport

That's odd I though it is called Newquay Cornwall Airport

Newquay Cornwall Airport - Welcome to Newquay Cornwall Airport (http://www.newquaycornwallairport.com/index.cfm?articleid=40646)

No where does international appear on the web site.

(though the postal address is St Mawgan, Newquay, Cornwall)

Strictly Jungly
22nd Mar 2009, 19:24
I think you will find the Defence SERE Training Organisation (DSTO) is alive and well and residing at St Mawgan.

ACW367
24th Mar 2009, 22:21
The interim SERE organisation was co-located at St Mawgan in early 2008, but full funding wasn't in place. Minister recently wrote to the local MPs confirming to them that St Mawgan was to be the permanent home of the DSTO which was stood up officially with immediate effect.

Roadster280
24th Mar 2009, 23:53
Which begs the question "why does the MOD spend money on maintaining a small unit on its own site?". Surely said unit could be found accn elsewhere? If it needs a remote location, why not any of the other remote sites in the South West? Or Scotland?

Something either not quite right with the "whole story", or not quite right with the bean counters.

Strictly Jungly
26th Mar 2009, 09:36
ACW367 - The DSTO stood up on 1 Apr 2006 as a federated organisation spread over 3 sites.

There has never been an "interim" SERE organisation. The DSTO has been conducting business for 3 years!

Bigtop
28th Mar 2009, 23:18
DSTO is only at St M as a temp measure. Obviously a letter from an MP means the removals are booked and they're just waiting for a moonless night to do a flit!!!

Could be the last?
29th Mar 2009, 17:57
BT,

You need to keep up, SMG is now the permanent home for DSTO.

However, no one told the SARF of the DSTO basing option and I bet they are very happy having spent all that money to move upto Valley, when they could have remained insitu for a fraction of the cost.:ugh:

Winch-control
29th Mar 2009, 18:01
But thats the MOd for you!:ok: