PDA

View Full Version : RN Helicopter Display Teams

Lee Howard
20th Mar 2009, 23:37
Following on from my earlier request for information on Fleet Air Arm Helicopters for our forthcoming book on the subject, I've received help from a number of current serving officers who once flew in the various official RN Helicopter Display teams that have existed over the years (my thanks go to them). However I'm still short on a few names for a handful of years. Would anyone out there, then, happen to have details of the crews who flew with:

702 Sqn The Lynx Pair (2000)
705 Sqn The Navylarks (1973)
705 Sqn Diamond Pair (years 1996 - 1997)
706 Sqn The Whales (years 1977 - 1986)
706 Sqn The Piranhas (years 1987 - 1990)

...and any of the earlier teams, such as The Pink Elephants (1966), Hiller Circus (1967), Elephant Tango (1968), and the 705 Sqn Helicopter Set Display in 1964.

I've trawled the various Squadron Record Books at FAAM and have extracted what there is to be had; sadly when it comes to listing the activities of their display teams they aren't as comprehensive as I'd hoped, hence the request on here and why it would be good to document the info while the individuals concerned are still around.

Grateful for any leads (either on the board or via PM).

Many thanks.

Lee Howard

Lee Howard
23rd Mar 2009, 11:22
BUMP - Anyone any more information? :O

tubby linton
23rd Mar 2009, 11:33
Have you tried the Fleet Air Arm Officers Association?
Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association, FAAOA (http://www.fleetairarmoa.org/)

Lee Howard
23rd Mar 2009, 11:54
Unfortunately the FAAOA website isn't as widely read as either their News Sheet or PPRuNe, hence my request on here first. I've had one PM so far, which has helped to fill in a few gaps for The Lynx Pair, but I'm still looking for the other details.

Unfortunately an exercise such as this has not been carried out before and the known sources of existing information (Record Books, Line Books etc) carry very little in the way of definite information on who did what and when.

Lee

onevan
23rd Mar 2009, 12:05
705 nas - The Sharks - initially as a team of 6 then as a 4. from 70's or 80's - last season 1996.
705 nas - Pussers pair - forerunner to diamond pair
702 nas - lynx pair became 'the black cats'

Try fleet air arm museum they must have details on the teams that have displayed at RNAS Yeovilton.

Lee Howard
23rd Mar 2009, 12:25
onevan - please see my original post. I've searched the Museum archives for all available information and, although I now have a substantial amount of information, I still have the gaps listed above as a result of official documentation lacking details.

Ideally I'm looking for those individuals concerned to drop me a line to confirm details of their particular involvement. I've had a number of ex-display team crews contact me already and that has helped, but I'm still searching for that elusive last 10%.....

Lee Howard
24th Mar 2009, 11:43
One other name which has come up, but which has so far proved to be completely untraceable, is The Green Marrows - presumably a Sea King HC.4 team - but none of the Record Books, Air Day programmes or other such sources of information has so far produced confirmation of this.

Anyone??

Archimedes
24th Mar 2009, 13:55
Wasn't 'The Green Marrows' the name of the Canberra team from 231 OCU??

That said, I dimly recall reading something somewhere suggesting that there was a team bearing a similar name which flew Wessex.

Lee Howard
25th Mar 2009, 14:02
"Marrows" was indeed the nickname of Canberras on 231 OCU, so quite possible. Unfortunately I can't remember where I jotted the note down that this had some connection with RN display teams......hence my query.

Anyone else out there who can shed more light on the various display teams over the years?

Bigtop
27th Mar 2009, 19:02
Lee,

Have you tried contacting the PRO's at the air stations?
I know ex 705 display personnel are still serving at 750 Sqn who may be able to help.

Lee Howard
27th Mar 2009, 19:43
Bigtop

A colleague is currently looking through the PRO's press cuttings folder at Culdrose, but it's by no means certain to contain the info I'm looking for. Most of the Yeovilton info I've now got, but I'd hoped that the aircrew who flew in the teams might be able to message me off here (assuming, of course, that they have read the thread) and confirm the details from their own logbooks. I've had a number do that already, but the earlier Sea King teams are still proving difficult to track down.

Lee