PDA

View Full Version : J41 Airlink Pilots ? Anybody ?

l8starter
20th Mar 2009, 17:49
I've already asked this question in the Tech Forum, but somebody very kindly suggested I also ask here as Airlink operate the J41.

Briefly I'm an unemployed jet jock, looking at a contract in Romania to operate the J41 (DEC and they will type rate- unbelievable I know). I'm just trying to get some idea of what this aircraft is like to operate, and obviously would like to hear about the good and the bad. Any vices, short-comings eg performance, weight and balance/trim problems, recurring tech issues etc,?

So far the impression I've got is that it's a nice aeroplane to fly, ie good handling qualities I guess; quite fast for a turbo-prop; no particular problems in icing; a few door seal problems; and smoke alarm problems in the bag pod if de-icing fluid gets in.

Any offerings gratefully received, and in particular, if anyone has a "quirk sheet" they could share I'd appreciate that too - contact details to be PM'd.

Many thanks.

L8.

sky waiter
21st Mar 2009, 04:57
Hi- as you said J41 is a lovely aerie, few problems but nothing that doesnt come with a bit of age.

As you mentioned, faulty smoke warnings, prop icing "failures" due to moisture in the heating pads- which once run goes away and standby batteries that tend to give up.

Overall a reliable fun little aerie. I unfortunately dont have a quick sheet, but you will enjoy flying her. Just watch out on the landings as she has an unusual attitude which takes a bit of getting used too before you can perfect the technique

Best of luck!

atpcliff
21st Mar 2009, 22:57
Hi!

I don't know if the Euro ones were certified with a speed brake. I was trained on the US ones, which are without a speed brake. They DO NOT SLOW DOWN!!!

They are not like the Pratt & Whitney props, that slow the plane down. They are like a jet, without a speed brake.

I was in the JS with a crew that were held up high by ATC, and they did everything they could to slow down and descend, but couldn't make it, so they were forced to do a 360 on final. A "normal" airplane would've been easy-pop the speed brake, and you're all set. I'm glad they did the 360, and not try and land anyway, with too much altitude and too much airspeed.

cliff
KGRB
PS-On the hottest summer day in KSTL (about 42c, about 1000'msl), with a max load, the J-41 would climb away on one engine no problem

snotneus
22nd Mar 2009, 16:14
atpcliff, i disagree, the j41 can go desend and slow down the same time. you just need to know how.
The j41 is an fantastic plane. just watch out for entering ice conditions, you really need the engine anti-ice. Mozambique express almost lost 1 because they were clever. (was discussed on pprune, just search. happened enroute durban-maputo)
you will love the machine, the garett's will forgive almost anything exept ice and bird ingestion.
I also think Garret's are better than Pratt's. Prob like the Boeing/DC(MD) argument. But that should be a different thread.